GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems like most pictures i see of gtrs they rarely have cambelt covers on ?

ive just put one on mine as ive had an incident once with a fiat uno turbo not running a cover and a foreign object broke the cambelt ! a stone or something as you could see where something split the belt in the centre of it, and a mark on the cam gear !

is there a reason why people dont put them on, other than cosmetical ?

·
Registered
25,956 Posts
it looks "racey" but if you want to run that risk then fair play

but my personal view is , its abit stupid

·
Registered
945 Posts
it looks "racey" but if you want to run that risk then fair play

but my personal view is , its abit stupid
my words exactly, why spend literally thousands of pounds just to have it all undone just for the sake of a cover.

I suppose they dont put them on so that cam timing adjustments can be made easy, which is ok on a race car but a bit silly on a road car IMO.

·
Registered
25,956 Posts
the greddy or reimax covers last about 2 years roughly - 18months before they look like they need tobe renewed

still cheap to get another.

:)

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
A lot of performance cars dont use the cam covers, especially a lot of Cosworth engined cars. I think as long as you have an undertray fitted your quite safe, I cant see anything coming through the front to cause any harm to the cambelt unlike unmeshed turbo's....

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A lot of performance cars dont use the cam covers, especially a lot of Cosworth engined cars. I think as long as you have an undertray fitted your quite safe, I cant see anything coming through the front to cause any harm to the cambelt unlike unmeshed turbo's....
thats what i thought with my fiat :bawling::bawling:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I bought that car without the cover and I subsequently bought one but never got round to fitting it. It sold with the car (it was in the boot). Obviously the owner between you and me didn't fit it or include it in the sale ;)

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought that car without the cover and I subsequently bought one but never got round to fitting it. It sold with the car (it was in the boot). Obviously the owner between you and me didn't fit it or include it in the sale ;)
i got an alloy one original by the looks of it. got all new proper bolts / washers from nissan was £70 all in for cover and bolts, much cheaper than 24 valves :bawling:

ive never been too bothered before but i feel alot more protective over my new rb :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
it might not be that devastating but I just fitted my fan shroud back on, I always think one day that fan would catch me out, or another person.

for the cambelt covers I would use clear ones only if I had a purple hks timing belt with the adjustable gears :p, hell my covers look crap now need to get em painted

1 - 13 of 13 Posts