GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out today to try and fit an HKS hard pipe kit and after 4 hrs i still hant got the front bumper off my R33 GTR. In the past i have removed the plenum and put it back on again while the engine was still in the car and that was easier than removing the front bumper.I read a few posts saying you need to remove the headlights etc but still couldnt get to that last nut/bolt in the inner wing area.I removed the indicator and put my hand inside but just couldnt get the bolts/nuts loose.

Is there anyone who has a file showing the location of the nuts/bolts which need to be removed.I have put it all back together again at the moment but plan to try again when the weather dries up a bit..

Someone help....

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'm pretty sure, (from memory), you can't remove the headlights until the bumpers off, as they are bolted through the wing behind the bumper.

Not a difficult job to remove the bumper though, just takes a bit of time.

Alex B

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
All 10mm bolts. 2 either side attached to the front wings, 3 that hold the front number plate bracket, and finally some going through the air ducts attached to the reinforcer bar. I think thats it, good luck, the ones attached to the wings, you obviously have to take off the splash guards.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I did mine by NOT removing the bumper

I removed the headlamps ONLY, and done them from the top.

To remove the headlamps; 2 bolts at the top, and one or two behind the front panel (inside of engine bay), and the one that you can't find is tricky. You remove the indicator complete with the surround. Put your hand up towards the headlamp, and you'll feel a bolt going in towards the headlamp.

Best to attack it with a small-ish 10mm spanner, or even better a ratcheting one. You got to put your hand up there, and feel it first to get a feel before attacking it!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Why remove the bumper to fit hard pipe kit? Unless your fitting an I/C theres no need.

You only need to remove both wheel arch liners to give access to all pipework. 1hr max......

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bumper off

So i have been trying to remove the headlight to help remove the front bumper where i dont need to remove the headlight at all--is this correct?

I want the bumper off to get the pipe kit on and give it a really good clean up behind there as well as replacing all the nuts and bolts with new ones.

I remove the number plate bracker entirely today. Couldnt seem to get the splash gaurds in the wheels wells off though. Anyone have a pdf of the bolt positions--i usually just stick at it but got totally peed off today and regretted even starting it to be honest.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Yes you can take off the headlamps WITHOUT taking off the bumper.

And from here you can gain access to all the pipework, and all clips, etc

If you want to clean up the intercooler, then theres no other way other than taking off the bumper.

I did mine like this twice. So I know its possible. Once you've done the headlamps, it'll take you 15mins max. per headlamp.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Sholdn't laugh, but bumper off is about 20 mins work!!

Bolts that hold bumper to wings are accessed from underneath with an extension. Wheel arch liners are held on by a couple of clips, and then some bolts onto bumper, once all the bolts are out of the wheel arch liners don't be affraid to use a bit of brute force to squeeze them out past ARB, suspension, etc..

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bumper off

Ok you lot have got me annoyed with myself now. Going to do this next weekend, if it doesnt come off easily then is anyone good at fixing fibreglass with a few hammer holes through it....

This time the wheels will be off instead of turned on full lock which should allow me a bit of brute force.

Who sells the little black clips that hold the arch liners in place???

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Hi Mark,

I got a whole bunch of black clips (they are used all over the Skyline) from my local Nissan garage, the part number was 01553-09321, they seem to fit almost anywhere a clip is needed.

You can take the headlights out without taking the bumper off, the difficult bolt is the one in the wing. I removed the indicator panel in the bumper and put my whole arm up and inside, it was only when I got one of my wife's small mirrors that I found out the bolts had not been replaced from a previous time in Japan :mad: No wonder I could not find them !

I had decided to do the difficult ones first, if I had done the easy nuts/bolts first I would have known there were no wing bolts :bawling:

But, I too would like to see some sort of guide to removing the front bumber .... good luck with the job :wavey:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bumper

Sholdn't laugh, but bumper off is about 20 mins work!!

Bolts that hold bumper to wings are accessed from underneath with an extension. Wheel arch liners are held on by a couple of clips, and then some bolts onto bumper, once all the bolts are out of the wheel arch liners don't be affraid to use a bit of brute force to squeeze them out past ARB, suspension, etc..

Cord, you are saying the bolts to the wings are accessed from underneath on an extension bar--does this mean that the wheel arch liners dont need to come off at all then and neither does the light?

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
right

here goes

remove splitter

remove both arch liners

bumper bolts:-

one at top rear of bumper, just inside the wheelarch (you'll need a short extension bar)

one about 6 inches forward of this

3 in the main "mouth" including one under the number plate holder

"think" theres a bolt or two under the GTR grille

headlights don't need to come out

done mine at LEAST 5 times now. peice of **** when you know how

mook

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Splitter

Why does the splitter need removing from the bumper before bumper comes off?

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Why does the splitter need removing from the bumper before bumper comes off?
Hi Mark,

I've taken my splitter of a few times (not decided whether to keep the carbon replacement on yet, it's on-off-on-off) and the bolts that hold the splitter onto the bumper also go through a fair amount of other metal/plastic under the car around the area of the wheel arches and if I remember correctly the brake air ducts below the indicators, you will not be able to free the bumper without removing the splitter first (at least that is the way it is on my GTR).

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Ian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts