GTR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man....... the only thing that I can think of is that I am being tested.... thats the only possible conclusion to come to... I also considered punished, however I dont think I did anything to be punished for.... so it HAS to be testing...

This morning I had YET ANOTHER catastrophic incident in my Skyline GTR33. This one SIGNIFICANTLY worse then the last.

Pulled into the QT gas station to get a drink. I parked my car and shut if off. Came back out with my drink and got back in the car. Commenced to start the engine. Hear a knocking sound coming from my engine.... Immediate response is WTF?!?????!!!?

Commenced to try and figure out what the issue was. Only heard the knocking when revving the engine. Started to knock at right about 3K RPM. Does it wither or not the car is under load. Idles perfectly... gauges all show regular readings..

Then commenced to drive it to my tuner for them to tell me what I already knew... my shit was broken... I was thinking thrown rod....

Well long story short, I have spun a bearing in my engine. Appears the other stuff should PROBABLY be alright however... not that it matters... have to rebuild the entire engine. Looking at a $4-$10k job.... Money I dont have... ON TOP of the cost for my other incident...

So now the car is sitting at home.. DOWN.

No I wasnt driving the shit out of the car right before or anything... my Tuner tells me it was just time.. high mileage engine. Plus we dont know what the previous owner did with it... Just one of those things that happens.

Need to decide what I want to do. Not that I really have the money to do anything anyway, but I will have to work it out somehow.

1. Either I will buy a used stock RB26 engine and drop it into my car. Then I will keep my old one and slowly build that one up as I get the money.

2. Buy a built RB26 engine and drop it into my car.

3. Go ahead and pay the money to get my current engine built and make it bulletproof.

Definetly keeping the RB26 as I prefer a rev happy engine so I dont want to go to a RB30.

Need to figure it out... have to figure out what the most effective thing to do is. I would of course have to eventually build my engine for the FAR future HP goals that I have... so I need to decide if I want to buy a stock one and THEN build up my old one over time, or do one of the other things. Gotta see the best thing from a cost/value standpoint.

Now I have to price everything out and decide from there. I dont really have the money to do ANYTHING... but I guess I will come up with it if I have to.

Im telling you.... I must be being tested...

Alas..... Babylon.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
710 Posts
Oh man:runaway: I'd be flipping out.

I'm soo sorry you have to go through that, that's not something you want to have happen to you in the USA.

I'd recommend buying a used RB26DETT from a dealer or scrapper in Japan, or the UK, and getting it sent here.

Place it in your car, and keep driving. But that'll take about a month, and I really don't know what to say.

I'm sorry that happened, I really am. I have serious compassion for you, and I wish the best for your R33.

lol if it makes you feel better, if you need someone to talk to (it is pretty emotionally distressing) you can email me at [email protected]

Again I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man:runaway: I'd be flipping out.

I'm soo sorry you have to go through that, that's not something you want to have happen to you in the USA.

I'd recommend buying a used RB26DETT from a dealer or scrapper in Japan, or the UK, and getting it sent here.

Place it in your car, and keep driving. But that'll take about a month, and I really don't know what to say.

I'm sorry that happened, I really am. I have serious compassion for you, and I wish the best for your R33.

lol if it makes you feel better, if you need someone to talk to (it is pretty emotionally distressing) you can email me at [email protected]

Again I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thanks a lot man. I truly appreciate it. It is indeed a heart breaking issue... especially since I JUST had another mishap about 2 weeks ago. Was actually about to order parts for that today and then this happened... Alas..

I am truly considering just buying a used GTR33 RB26 and just slowly building mine up as I get parts. Of course I have NO IDEA where to possibly buy a good used RB26 engine from... especially in the UK or JPN. If any suggestions can be made it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

-Sayajin

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
try all the tuners in the UK for starters,as they might have some,or will atleast know of someone who wants to sell off their engine

sorry to hear the problems aswell mate

·
Registered
710 Posts
JNS-imports.com might be able to help you get a new RB26DETT, you don't need an R33 specific RB26DETT as most are flushed the same for every model. JNS-Imports are located in Vancouver British Columbia, although there's a small place in Toronto Ontario that can help you if you're closer to it.

It's quite disheartening, and yeah, to think you were just about to fix another problem. Did you get your R33 imported from MotoRex? If so, you can file a claim stating your car wasn't sold as an as new used car as legally entitled by US Law under the importation act. By doing that though, you'd be joining dozens of other GT-R owners who have lost their cars due to faults.

If you need any more help, as I can help you quite a bit, you have my email.:)

·
Registered
710 Posts
By the way, you're looking at around $4500 CDN for a new RB26, and that's a bit considering you likely got your R33 for around 25,000 or so.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I took option#3. I'm hurting financially, but I'm hoping this'll last me awhile. I was recommended to take option#1 (I had a couple drop in engines offered from $1500-$3000), but I just took my car off the road, and mortgaged my soul to the devil and did things from the ground up.

A spun bearing is a LOT better than six melted pistons. Your head is probably perfectly fine, turbos ok? I'd say the most you're looking at is pulling the engine, taking off the oilpan and crankshaft, replacing the mains bearings as well as possibly the crankshaft (depends on if it got scratched during the bearing spin).

·
Registered
191 Posts
^ agreed.

A spun bearing is about as minor as it comes as far as internal engine failure.

Hopefully, that is the only damage.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well lets say that the bearing is the only thing that is broken. Do you guys really suggest pulling the damn thing apart and just replacing that? Dont upgrade anything else or have it machined ect? Of course that sounds great financially, however from what my tuner was saying, chances are if I do that something else will break. Figure might as well do it right the first time.

Opinions?

-Sayajin

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kisime... if you dont mind me asking, how much did you spend to rebuild yours? I know you had a fuel system issue and melted quite a few things, as well as I know you are upgrading a few other things as well.

As far as just the engine rebuild and upgrade alone, how much did you spend all in all? Trying to get some perspective. Thanks.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I've spent about $13,000 including labor, but I had to redo just about everything including turbos, and I chose to upgrade everything I could think of (to handle 600bhp). So that includes something like $2000 just for every type and kind of sensor and gauge, as well as uprated suspension parts, new bushings and ball joints, etc.

Didn't SamuraiSam on the freshalloy board say that he used to work at a shop that could replace a bearing with the crankshaft in place? In theory, with a lot of cussing and sweating and bloody knuckles, you could take the oil pan off with the engine still in, get the crankshaft holder thingie off, do that trick to get the bearing out and a new one in, and put everything back. You'll probably have some scoring on the crankshaft and will be living on borrowed time, but maybe enough until you can put a new engine together?

I've wondered about spinning bearings - isn't there some way to lock those things in place so that you'll never spin one? Like some kinda superglue or something :p Or, the center crank bearing has sides that seem to snap it (and lock it?) into place, I wonder why that wasn't done for the other six crank bearings?

And just curious, conrod bearings don't ever spin (or otherwise fail), do they?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts