GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys as above.

I bought this car based on other 4wd performance cars to be able to drive reasonably fast in the wet,obviously taking into account the condition of the road, traffic, legal constraints, etc.

However I don't remember having the same lack of confidence in those cars.

So is it just the tyres? as others have mentioned or is there anything we can do to the cars to improve wet handling. :flame:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Had both Impeza and RS4, both of which I believe are constant 4 wheel drive systems?! Is the R35 not rear wheel until it needs to use the front for traction? I'm sure our technical guys on here will know. BMW also brought out the M3 CSL with a tyre that was great for the track and dry but plain scary in the wet so I'm thinking that maybe an all seasons tyre needs to be available albeit at the cost of some performance.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
i think a lot of it is also down to tyres - my wife and I both run subarus, a WR1 and a P1 for day to day driving and we once tried them with a set of yokahama parada spec2's - great in the dry but horrible, tippy toey in the wet.- have switched to Goodyear F1's on the WR1 (excellent tyre and my wife feels really comfortable with the car now in all conditions), and falken fk452's on my P1 - a good all round tyre id say.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
You havent really bought a 4wd car.

Attessa means that the car is to all intents and purposes a RWD car that can divert power to the front wheels as required depending on parameters sensed by the car, namely the amount of slip, the angle of the slide, the speed you are going and on the new GTR which "mode" you have the Traction Control set to.

All these things happen once the car starts to lose grip and hence why you may feel less stable to begin with than you may have done in a permanent 4wd car such as a Scooby or Evo. The other most obvious difference is that if you come from a background of 4wd cars like those they will tend to nudge wide and have a more FWD understeer type characteristic where as the GTR does not. It will just need getting used to.

I suspect some of the points made in the discussions about the tyres probably dont help with the feel in the wetter conditions either.

J.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

looks like I will have to go on " one to one driving day "course in the Gtr.

I think from previous posts it has to be CADT ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bladerider

I think you 've hit it on the head.
Not read enough about the technical side of the car before buying it.
Yes just need to get used to it, but saying that its a lot better than the M5 in the same situation.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I did a CAT day this week in the wet in my R35. It was a great learning experience pushing the car hard - definatley different to the dry, but perfectly managable even with the semi slick tyres. I would also suggest keeping the suspension settings soft to improve compliance with the road. In 'R' mode the car was much more difficult to manage.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think a lot of you are expecting too much for the conditions. A semi slick tyre designed to run at summer temperatures is never going to give you the grip on a cold winters day, especially when you're trying to put 500bhp through them.
Personably I'm reasonably happy with the grip in the wet. It's when it's damp with wet leaves on the road that you have to watch out. You either drive to the conditions or find some winter tyres, you can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
690 Posts
At £450 a tyre I'd much rather find one that works well all year round! I don't see R8 or Lambo drivers switching tyres at the first sign of a frost! Has anyone found a decent normal tyre? I'll carry a pot of that green gunk and a pump rather than fork out for seasonal run flat tyres!

·
Registered
72 Posts
This car is not bad in the wet..... I think its good in fact!

I've been out in torential conditions, and have hardly experienced a problem. Maybe just a touch of movement when hitting heavy water on the motoway at speed.. but nothing to worry you!

Yes, the tyres are dry performance orientated, but they are not slicks!!

I think that some owners are just looking to pick on the tiniest of imperfections, whereas to me the car is epic in all conditions.

This old toy of mine was scary in the wet......!!
996GT2 (widowmaker) pushing close to 600bhp. :wavey:

·
Registered
942 Posts
i think the cars were on bridgestones back then although i should keep my big mouth shut really because i had a thread on here last year where i was whining that we weren't going to be given the "faster" dunlop tyres as oem in the UK

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
use the 335d in your profile for the wet work run..
I do, but it's often wet in Glasgow i.e when i'm not going to/from work and want to enjoy the car :D

But if the way it is, is the way it is...fair enough.

I just wonder what F1's would be like on the GTR in the wet. If you're saying no real world diff that would be something.

·
Registered
72 Posts
seriously guys, the GTR is a pussycat in the wet..

try qualifying on "slicks" in a 997 cup car with sequential gearbox, where every downshift needs to be heel and toe perfect, no abs.. and it starts to rain!

Rob

·
Registered
72 Posts
Watch what Bruno has to say about the GTR v Porsche in the wet about 1min in ;)

YouTube - EPISODE FIVE: BEHIND THE SCENES - BRUNO SENNA
lol

All dry - track orientated tyres are going to have some downside in wet conditions.. try a GT3 or GT2 with Michelin "cup" tyres.

The car is still a pussycat, because the 4wd system overcomes most of the downside.

Porsche was prob running pilot sport or similar, which are more all round road orientated, but the GTR still put in the quicker lap time in the wet.

For me this car is still epic in all conditions .. I have the most fun, in the wet, on road.. getting it to slide in 2nd/3rd! :cool:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Was that Ben's car with the Cooper tyres?

I find the car very un-epic in standing water, and epic everywhere else.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
looking at the weather forecast........ we'll have plenty of opportunity to test this in Wales:nervous:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts