GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
engine development is expensive. but why many aftermarket company provide many expensive engine upgrades but no titanium alloy chassis or something like that. well, its not cheap but a lighter car means no needs for stronger engine, better handling, less inertia & so on. more power means higher fuel consumption. plus chassis can get damaged like other parts so replacements are needed.

sorry if u find me to be stupid. im curious, & lack of knowledge.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Titanium is too heavy. Why not aluminium?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
It is but Aluminium is lighter still.
A well designed mono-**** is plenty still enough from Al

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Aluminium alloys would be better to use. They don't want to spend money as a company on chassis development, all the car manufacturers with the exception of a couple want to make as many units as they can in the most quickest way possible and sell sell sell!

As you can guess the other materials are expensive and are mostly all used up in the aerospace industry.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Because there is not much demand when a majority of people want big bhp engines and care only about straight line.

·
Registered
161 Posts
im not sure about the question, there are plenty of lightweight chassis you can buy but they would be called a kit car? or do you mean subframes?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sad to hear this haha. chassis is of equal importance & yup like what FRRACER said, i noticed most ppl care bout big hp values. sad case. throttle responce and efficiency are more important than that in my opinion. no point having 500 ponies but laggish responce. higher hp gives more wear anyway

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I think he is talking about bolt on chassis bracing kits I believe? As said there is not much demand people like kansai Service, Nismo etc release limited edition kits or small production runs which only last a short period. Best form of chassis stiffening I saw was a YouTube video which shows carefully made pieces welded into key parts around the car. Must have been at least 20 odd around the car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I think he is talking about bolt on chassis bracing kits I believe? As said there is not much demand people like kansai Service, Nismo etc release limited edition kits or small production runs which only last a short period. Best form of chassis stiffening I saw was a YouTube video which shows carefully made pieces welded into key parts around the car. Must have been at least 20 odd around the car.
oh, i mean chassis as in the whole skeleton of the car. so far i see roll cage & reinforcement bars but hasn't seen a complete chassis replacement.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
sad to hear this haha. chassis is of equal importance & yup like what FRRACER said, i noticed most ppl care bout big hp values. sad case. throttle responce and efficiency are more important than that in my opinion. no point having 500 ponies but laggish responce. higher hp gives more wear anyway
I agree for too long people have been taken down the drag path by Tuners. Who the hell needs 1000bhp for the road in a soft 25 year old Nissan chassis or even for track use for that matter? Some of thee so called circuit R32s that have appeared have been dreadful. When a car is designed or planned for circuit use many top race teams spend several months in chassis development everything from torsional stiffness of the shell to suspension work and geometry engine and drive line comes a bit later or you have another group of people working on that in tandem. Seems like the trend with Skylines is the complete opposite and have the most powerful engine as possible with the biggest turbo that would fit:rolleyes:

We are now in a situation where you have awful handling race drag hybrids driving around the track. It is sometimes almost embarrassing to see what has happened to these awesome machines which were once dubbed the Godzilla and ruled group A racing.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
oh, i mean chassis as in the whole skeleton of the car. so far i see roll cage & reinforcement bars but hasn't seen a complete chassis replacement.
I don't think that will happen unless some tycoon will commission someone like Nissan or Nismo to make a like for like replacement with modern materials.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
I don't think that that would be possible. The car is a monocoque so you'd have to repalce a lot of it. I'd imagine that if you did repalce all that it'd need new chassis numbers and maybe testing as a new car. Perhaps not legal in other countries...

I don't know of any companies which make such products for any cars have you any examples perhaps?

There are some replacement suspension arms etc. They tend to be steel which I guess makes more sense with production volumes and perhaps manufacturing an aluminium alloy replacment yields very small benefits.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think that that would be possible. The car is a monocoque so you'd have to repalce a lot of it. I'd imagine that if you did repalce all that it'd need new chassis numbers and maybe testing as a new car. Perhaps not legal in other countries...

I don't know of any companies which make such products for any cars have you any examples perhaps?

There are some replacement suspension arms etc. They tend to be steel which I guess makes more sense with production volumes and perhaps manufacturing an aluminium alloy replacment yields very small benefits.
oh i see. sad case haha.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree for too long people have been taken down the drag path by Tuners. Who the hell needs 1000bhp for the road in a soft 25 year old Nissan chassis or even for track use for that matter? Some of thee so called circuit R32s that have appeared have been dreadful. When a car is designed or planned for circuit use many top race teams spend several months in chassis development everything from torsional stiffness of the shell to suspension work and geometry engine and drive line comes a bit later or you have another group of people working on that in tandem. Seems like the trend with Skylines is the complete opposite and have the most powerful engine as possible with the biggest turbo that would fit:rolleyes:

We are now in a situation where you have awful handling race drag hybrids driving around the track. It is sometimes almost embarrassing to see what has happened to these awesome machines which were once dubbed the Godzilla and ruled group A racing.
cant agree with u more. u r a very reasonable car guy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so ok guys, if the chassis is beyond repair, meaning the owner need to buy a new car? since there's no replacement.

·
Registered
871 Posts
A lot of the drifters from Europe now are moving onto space frames and the like making tubular chassis's and single piece front/rear ends however a lot of race categories don't allow this since the car has to be original underneath.

Changing any chassis would require at the least a VIC test to be road worthy, it would depend how far you wanted go and if you wanted the car road legal or not!

You could always design something yourself? But that would be very expensive I would assume.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts