GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a trend of late, where a certain few on the forum feel the need to shove there wealth down everyone else's throats, constantly bragging about how many cars they own and what there next purchase will be, in a relentless quest to be praised for there ridicules expenditure.

Why...

I was chatting with a guy last year, who sadly has passed away now, the guy was 93 years old, and the happiest person I had ever met, he drove a second hand Merc 190 for the last 20 years, and lived in a two bed bungalow he had owned for over 60 years and still drove him self to his family run business every day to spend time with his family, because they were what was important to him, and he never bragged about anything he owned.

The company he left behind turned over in excess of £250,000,000 the year of his death.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Absolutely, why indeed!!

It never ceases to amaze me either but I think it goes with the territory of fast cars. I would bet good money that a lot of them fall into the 'ten quid millionaire' category who've got a few quid and think they are made for life. As you say, better to be like the guy you mention who lived under the radar but was seriously wealthy, the only flip side being, why have all that money and not spend a bit more?

Anyway, back to braggers and bullshitters, the biggest one we had on here - who constantly rubbed everyone's nose in it - ended up going bankrupt in his pursuit of the ultimate GT-R so he lost the lot. A second one, who had a massive spend on his project, ended up pleading for his project thread to be removed so his wife didn't find out (please, my marriage depends on it!) what he'd been blowing all his cash on.

As I said, I don't think all is as it seems and there are a lot of people taking on serious debt to feed their addictions.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm considerably richer than you rings a bell here. If I have not got the money I will not spend it.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
If you think this forum is bad you should check out some of the REAL super car forums. They have dedicated sections for "money making"/"How's your business going?" etc.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
There seems to be a trend of late, where a certain few on the forum feel the need to shove there wealth down everyone else's throats, constantly bragging about how many cars they own and what there next purchase will be, in a relentless quest to be praised for there ridicules expenditure.

Why...

I was chatting with a guy last year, who sadly has passed away now, the guy was 93 years old, and the happiest person I had ever met, he drove a second hand Merc 190 for the last 20 years, and lived in a two bed bungalow he had owned for over 60 years and still drove him self to his family run business every day to spend time with his family, because they were what was important to him, and he never bragged about anything he owned.

The company he left behind turned over in excess of £250,000,000 the year of his death.
I have noticed that too of late never saw much of that in the days of the Skyline before the R35s came about.

Because maybe they have all this wealth but they are empty inside their minds and feel insecure. Almost like Floyd Mayweather but no one can deny his skills in the ring, he is one of the greats in boxing.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I hope I am not being included in this.
I just like to share my love of cars, be they R35s, Skylines or other more unusual quick things...

Great thing about GT-R and Skyline owners is that they are generally not badge snobs so you can talk about all kinds of stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Turnover is unrelated to profit!
Very true.
I have known so many people that bang on about turnover because they think it makes them look successful/big/important etc...

If I did my work for a far smaller profit margin I could probably triple my turnover and have a bigger company.
Would look impressive wouldn't it?

Wouldn't have a pot to pee in at the end of the day though.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
As above if this is aimed at me then I'm happy to reign it in. I have no debt, not even a credit card I spend what I can afford.

The reason for me posting everything is in the interest of the forum to help people with buying decisions / waste of money products.

I share all my track data with anyone who asks, I give away driving days in Atoms and let people drive my GTR and coach people for free - so if this is aimed at me in anyway - do let me know and I'll stop posting so much.

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,028 Posts
It's a 35 thing.

Historically, wealthy owners tended to be more reticent. There's quite a few millionaire 32/33/34 owners who don't say boo to a goose.

But why begrudge them a little Peacock syndrome? Most are probably compensating for a little something.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Very true.
I have known so many people that bang on about turnover because they think it makes them look successful/big/important etc...

If I did my work for a far smaller profit margin I could probably triple my turnover and have a bigger company.
Would look impressive wouldn't it?

Wouldn't have a pot to pee in at the end of the day though.
Know that feeling. They bought my company and them turned it into a revenue model. Our margins went from 40% to 5%. Lovely to see something you built turned over :(

·
Registered
871 Posts
It's called willy waving, and if you have the money you are definitely welcome to it :)

I haven't got a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, so it's nice to see mega builds that i'll never achieve! Always something to aspire to.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
If you think this forum is bad you should check out some of the REAL super car forums. They have dedicated sections for "money making"/"How's your business going?" etc.
LOL.... I'll have to find some for a laugh.

I think it has been mentioned in the thread but I definitely see a different mentality on the forum since launch of R35. That's not a dig but an observation based on 12yrs of forumising :chuckle:.
Unfortunately it's a perception thing..... Some people post their latest purchase/bit of tuning for a genuine wish to share with others and vent off a bit of their own excitement. Other folks would seem to post in order to willy wave. Both individuals can then be perceived differently by different readers. TBH, it's a fine line....
Some people like to live vicariously through others and I'm sure that's why EVO magazine does so well :chuckle:. My own observations from various threads would seem to indicate that there are those that enjoy reading about others' tales of purchase/tuning and others who just get the hump and get jealous. Now I agree with the OP that some individuals DID quite clearly 'show off' during the initial release of R35. The loaded 'speculator types' who just dip into cars here and there for a bit of fun while posting up pics of their supercar garage full of high value machinery from their docklands duplex penthouse apartment did tend to intentionally rub folks up the wrong way..... They have moved on now and the place is better for I.

There will always be those who have more disposable cash than others, it's how it is..... The missus' and I are both high earners but there are clearly others on here who are a good deal better off.... I don't get pissed off by their posts at all. I accept that they have more disposable cash than I and get on with my own stuff....

Some good friends of ours have built up a successful business over the years and are looking to sell up soon. They stand to make a few million out of it. Rather than be jealous, I genuinely feel happy for them for their success. Unfortunately there would be some out there who would feel jealous. TBH, I think it's indicative of British society where there is a deep loathing of those who do well for themselves. OK, some of those people are just ****'s, there's no denying that... arrogant so-and-so's who rub folks noses in it. There are others who make a bit of money either through business or decent salaries who are also quite humble and are not ostentatious.
On a related note, while I'm on my soapbox, what pisses me off are the jealous twats who key folks higher value cars :mad:. What gives them the right do damage someone else car just because it's something they can't afford?? Should be some horrible punishment for folks who do that.

In summary then, the arrogant ****'s will always seek to piss others off. There will always be someone with more money than you. People perceive things in different ways.

I think that's it.....:chuckle::chuckle:

TT

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I think there have always been people who are keen to post their latest purchase etc, good luck to them I say.

Most of the time I just look at them and think they must not have children!

I never posted on Pistonheads despite lurking on there a long time as the self-righteousness was and still is an epidemic, and there was a spell of "I've got £50K / 100K / 200K to spend, what supercar shall I get" posts which of the small amount that may actually have been genuine, was laughable.

But in the end rich people can be enthusiasts too and want to join in on the forum without any conscious boasting, it can just come out a bit that way for those of us that aren't so well-off financially.

Anyway I'm off to my yacht.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts