GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get something that can measure boost, temperatures, oil pressure and anything else. I was told that it's possible to get some meters that you can just put in the glove compartment and have a warning light outside to light up when you're over your set limits. It has some displays on it self, so it's still possible to monitor your measuring values.

Does anybody know what could this thing be? My friend was lost when i asked for a brand name.

P.S. i don't own a skyline yet but a friend told me he knew a skyline that had a setup like that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
defi for sure. Thats what I'm saving for....among other things.

basic ones:

boost
oil temp
oil pressure
water temp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you have a link to these? I don't think it were defis, because that's quite a popular brand, so he would remember that name.

TokyoJoe; why water temp.? I thought on doing that but decided to go for an EGT instead. But his measuring system that was described to me can measure something like 10-12 things, but you can only choose to display 4 or 6 of them.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
with a Power FC, you get ten gauges from factory sensors. AFMs, water temp, intake temp, boost, injector duty, and most importantly, knock. Real important.

Oil pressure is a critical gauge. You can go aftermarket but I chose to replace the oil pressure sender (a Z32 unit works) - cheaper and it makes the dash gauge reliable, well for a couple years at least.

EGT is paramountly critical. Had I had an EGT, I may have averted disaster. I have one that just arrived (too late!!) and will run a second one - one EGT before each turbo.

Fuel pressure is nice to have, because if it drops, you're screwed.

the stock oil temp gauge is enough in the ballpark I think to keep things safe. These days its more about being warm enough to push it rather than overheating, but different story in the summer of course. I may put one in.

Also having a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge is important, unless you're dead sure about your tune and you don't touch any of the ecu adjustments. Mine just showed up (also too late), and I did not follow the no-touch advice. Hence, one seriously blown engine.

I went with Apexi gauges but Defi uses a similar master controller/slave gauge setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure we're on the same page here.

What i'm looking for isn't only skyline related, i dont want to have any gauages anywhere, i'm looking for a box with a display that can measure certain parameters with its own sensors and has a warning light.

EGT before turbo, when the probe burns out, won't it drop into the turbo and possibly damage it? I'm thinking on putting it as high as possible on the downpipe.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
interesting. will have to look into EGT sensor placement. if it's just after the turbo however, won't the temperature be a bit higher because of the heat of the turbo. I definitely want an accurate measure of combustion chamber temps. I do wonder what the temperature difference is between the exhaust manifold and high up on the downpipe. If it's negligible, I can save myself from putting in a 2nd EGT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
O.k. this could be it, but is it possible to read all the neccsary stuff with only conecting the Defi-Link Control Unit II with the Defi - link Display?
Did anybody do something like that? In that case you wouldn't need gauages and of course getting the Defi-Link Indicator.

kismetcapitan; i think the exhaust is colder after the turbo since the turbo is taking it's energy. Me personally, i'll use the EGT just to now how hard i'm stressing the motor themically. I think i'm supossed to get to 900 degrees celsius if the EGT is after the turbo.

·
Registered
130 Posts
EGT before turbo, when the probe burns out, won't it drop into the turbo and possibly damage it? I'm thinking on putting it as high as possible on the downpipe.
No, look at your probe by your cat. The only downside to putting it on the manifolds is you will need to remove them to install the probes. Otherwise it's the best place IMO.

The Defi control unit runs off the gauges, it takes inputs from them directly so it won't work without them to my knowledge.

Has anyone used the Greddy Informeter? Looks pretty nice, just a little small I think.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
well, my engine is out, so I'm putting two EGTs in the manifolds :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The connection between Defi-Link Control Unit II and the Defi - link Display seemed to work to me when i checked the descriptions on some online store. The only down side i saw was that the display doesnt have the boost option, but it can display everything else aside from that.
This is something i'm considering of getting, since it's only one display with several different read outs? Does anyone know of any other company making a similar thing?

So what happens to the EGT probe when it burns off and it was placed in the manifold?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi

keep us posted with what you find out/go for, i'm after something similar as i also don't want the dash littered with gauges. As far as i can tell, you can use the control unit with the display, but can you set warnings without the meters and also it seems that the optional visual indicator(looks like tacho shift light) feeds off the meter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's quite a nice gauage, i'll just have to figure out where to put it and how to read boost. It reads everything else except for boost. The new unit II has 3minuts instead of 40s recording function it records all walues in that time zone. I'm not sure if it's running automaticly for taking always the last 3min or you need to trigger it. Anyway a nice feature. There is also a warning light wich lets you know it the parameters are too high or too low.
Damn it, i just need to find out what i'll be doing for boost and than find a place that will sell Defis for cheap! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts