GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from a mechanic friend of mine that for a car over ~ 400HP, when you add incredibly wide tires (> 270) then you need to upgrade to a stronger drive shaft. Is this true?

Also, I have an R32 GTR and I would like to put R18 265's on it. The only suspension mod I have is aftermarket coil-overs. Will I need a spacer? Do the spacers put excess pressure on the axle? Do spacers become a weak link when it comes to launches from > 6000 RPM?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Rubbish! Tell him to stick to oil changes!

As far as the spacers, It would depend on offset. I run 265x35x18's on my R32 GTR with no problems (R34 GTR Wheels) I think the offset is 30.
Spacers will put a bit more load on the wheel bearings...But not enough to cause problems. If the spacers are larger than 9mm you will need to fit some longer studs in my opinon.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Why not just get wheels with the correct offset? No need for spacers etc.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I run 265x35x18's on my R32 GTR with no problems
Do those dimensions mean that you rims have an offset of 35?

In the event that the rims I have do not have the proper offset (I am not currently at home), what would be the largest safe offset (keeping in mind that I do hard launches on a regular basis)?

Thank you for all your replies!!

Edit: What is a "Hub Centric" spacer? Is this what you are talking about http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ichiba-25MM-Wheel-Spacers-Skyline-R32-R33-R34-GTR-GTS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c4e314959QQitemZ190290413913QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Do those dimensions mean that you rims have an offset of 35?

In the event that the rims I have do not have the proper offset (I am not currently at home), what would be the largest safe offset (keeping in mind that I do hard launches on a regular basis)?

Thank you for all your replies!!

Edit: What is a "Hub Centric" spacer? Is this what you are talking about Ichiba 25MM Wheel Spacers Skyline R32 R33 R34 GTR GTS : eBay Motors (item 190290413913 end time Jan-25-10 11:24:34 PST)?
no mate, it means the tyre has a 35 profile (height) the offset is usually stamped on the rear of the wheel.
hub centric spacers have studs built in so they bolt to the hub then the wheel bolts to the spacer rather than just a bit of metal taking up some of the threads on the studs.

·
Registered
500 Posts
no you dont have to upgrade any driveshafts and they will not become a weak link.

I have 18x10.5+15 with 295/30/18 on my bnr32. It takes a little fender work to fit them but it corners like it is on rails.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info! I will look into the possibility of getting spacers for the rims I have back home. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
as posted above, changing the driveshaft is rubbish. Consider changing your driveshaft if you're running around 1200bhp and using your car at the dragstrip only. Or if you have a few grand to burn and want to reduce drivetrain power losses by a subtle amount.

I use those exact same Ichiba spacers, no problems. I did install extended studs but as it turns out, they were unnecessary.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just a point because he obviously doesn't know.. hubcentric spacers place the wheel load on the hub centre, not on the lugs themselves.. Bad idea to have all the stress on the lugs, have a habit of not being attached at critical times..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts