GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i have heard it all about why hks are better than garrett turbos but yet to see/read any evidence...i would to get to the bottom of this topic :)

will hks gtrs produce better results than garrett?

in particular, i have -10s on my setup & my mate wants to buy a t04z for his r33, he thinks that hks is far superior. i want to set the record straight.

thanks,

·
Registered
265 Posts
hks's turbo are based on garrett's specs just different housing options...... so why not look at a specific turbo for a specific task??

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
point taken...let me rephrase & elaborate.
will a hks t04z make more power than a garrett t04z?
will a hks gtrs kit make more than garrett -10s?

·
Registered
794 Posts
the key will be to look at comp wheel and turbine wheel sizes...

so far i've seen the gt-rs and -10 exactly the same for both

not sure on to4z

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
jep your right bud only the exhaust side
Sorry, but I have to ask this, have you ever seen a twin scroll charger in flesh or do you even know what's the idea behind a twin scroll charger???

As then you should know that only housing which is divided is the exhaust housing...

... everything else won't make any sense ;)

Leo

·
Registered
71 Posts
friend of me built a rb26 rods pistons enz enz 1e choise hkst04z lots of power
but al top end now he is running gt3582 a fraction les in high rpm(above 8)
but hell of a lot better low range

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't think Marko is after advice on what turbo setup to buy.
He is simply looking for hard facts that either confirm or disprove that HKS turbo's are superior in any way to the "identical" Garrett

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Whenever this conversation comes up, HKS fan boys tend to give all sorts of mysterious reasons but nothing of solid proof. Only way of knowing for sure is by trying both turbos on the exact same car and winding them up/tuning to suit and seeing what happens.

I personally have never seen anything to suggest that the HKS turbos are any "better". There are some turbos in the HKS range which flow a bit more than what is purported to be the Garrett equivalent - but its more like the closest equivalent as opposed "better", ie the HKS GT2530 will make a bit more power with a bit more lag than GT2860-5s in my experience.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I personally have never seen anything to suggest that the HKS turbos are any "better". There are some turbos in the HKS range which flow a bit more than what is purported to be the Garrett equivalent - but its more like the closest equivalent as opposed "better", ie the HKS GT2530 will make a bit more power with a bit more lag than GT2860-5s in my experience.
Ummm...
Last time this was discussed I posted the link to the Au site where they did run back to back setups on the same engine / dyno with 2530/-5s/517z and the 2530's made more power.
I have always said the 2530 makes more power than -5's in every discussion on those blowers.
I cant comment on the o4z's
Or the -10

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Whenever this conversation comes up, HKS fan boys tend to give all sorts of mysterious reasons but nothing of solid proof.
They need to try and justify paying twice as much for basicly the same thing somehow mate.

All world record holding drag RB's (mine included) as far as I know, all use Garretts, not one I have seen stay with HKS even if they have had them at some point.

Proof of HKS not being better than Garrett? who knows.

Rob

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
and the 2530's made more power.
I have always said the 2530 makes more power than -5's in every discussion on those blowers.
Which is consistant with what I said - GT2530s have a more aggressive compressor trim and the cars I have driven with -5s and GT2530s back to back (its been a while but) give a feel that in lower gears the GT2530s feel a bit more sluggish in the lower revs etc, but flow a bit better up top. Not surprising, given the GT2530 is a more aggressive turbo :)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
All world record holding drag RB's (mine included) as far as I know, all use Garretts, not one I have seen stay with HKS even if they have had them at some point.

Proof of HKS not being better than Garrett? who knows.
After HT took the record using a Garrett GT45R, HKS released a GT45R. Oops I meant the T62R... :chuckle:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts