GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
They need to try and justify paying twice as much for basicly the same thing somehow mate.

All world record holding drag RB's (mine included) as far as I know, all use Garretts, not one I have seen stay with HKS even if they have had them at some point.

Proof of HKS not being better than Garrett? who knows.

Rob
case closed :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Ummm...
Last time this was discussed I posted the link to the Au site where they did run back to back setups on the same engine / dyno with 2530/-5s/517z and the 2530's made more power.
I have always said the 2530 makes more power than -5's in every discussion on those blowers.
I cant comment on the o4z's
Or the -10
To contradict that I have seen a dyno chart comparison for a local (built r32 GTR) who changed from 2530 to -5s and made about another ~20hp atw (iirc) without changing anything

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
To contradict that I have seen a dyno chart comparison for a local (built r32 GTR) who changed from 2530 to -5s and made about another ~20hp atw (iirc) without changing anything[/QUOTE

ok, since the intorduction of -5's I have never seen or heard of any engine making more power with -5's over 2530's all things being equal except this one you talk about infamous.
so thats
1 to -5's
hundreds to hks
:)
They have always spooled slightly quicker but dropped off the top.

The other thing to remember is you cant actually buy new 2530's anymore ...
can you still buy new rs's ?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
To contradict that I have seen a dyno chart comparison for a local (built r32 GTR) who changed from 2530 to -5s and made about another ~20hp atw (iirc) without changing anything[/QUOTE

ok, since the intorduction of -5's I have never seen or heard of any engine making more power with -5's over 2530's all things being equal except this one you talk about infamous.
so thats
1 to -5's
hundreds to hks
:)

The other thing to remember is you cant actually buy new 2530's anymore ...
can you still buy new rs's ?
How many identical setups that have gone from 2530 to -5s do you know of?

I only mentioned this particular one because nothing else changed...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Funny thing is the HKS 180SX (fastest RB powered car in the world) runs "twin GT3540s", except HKS don't sell them haha
Haha are u serious? maybe it had hks tough stickers.
I had on my rb26 hks gtrs kit and made 362awkw, on my current rb30 with -10s it made 405awkw, all on same boost level but the rb 30 has a ported head

·
Registered
794 Posts
tink i posted this b4:

2530 --- 2860-5 --different comp wheel
gt-rs ---- -10 -- exact same wheels
hks to4z --- garrett to4z -- exact same wheels

make any sence?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
does make sense as i always thought that the 2530 was slightly larger than the -5, they are not comparable

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I originally "thought I wanted" 2530s on my RB26 stagea as the information that was available seemed to suggest they were better turbos than the 5 s. But the more detail I went into the muddier the waters got.

It actually turned out to be an easy decision because not only were the garretts much cheaper they were also available from the uk .

I would also agree with previous posts that its not garrett v HKS but which size turbo(s)
are best for your specific engine.

·
Registered
858 Posts
There's no magic involved - if 2 turbos are both modern design, same type of bearings etc then max power comes at a trade off with boost threshold.

If 2530s make more peak power then -5s will boost earlier.

Without a step change in efficiencies of turbine / compressor / bearings / housings the physics just don't allow one to be 'better' in all cases - and surely no-one could argue that a 1mm difference in compressor wheel size amounts to any of a major change.

One thing that bugs me with HKS turbos is that they won't release compressor maps. I put this question to them when they were once 'interviewed' on this board and there was some kind of 'no because they're special' answer. They don't defy the laws of physics so I suspect that they don't release them because they would be pretty underwhelming when put next to a Garrett map which costs half as much.

So to the original question - yes they probably will make more power. But the next size up Garrett will make more than that, and the next up HKS / 3K / BW etc will make more than that. They'll all boost later so you have to pick what's right for you and not put so much emphasis on 'peak power'.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Setting up to design and manufacture turbos is hugely expensive, do HKS actually manufacture, in house, the whole turbocharger? Or do they cast different housings for the compressor side to fit cores made elsewhere? Or do they pay to have "HKS" cast into housings made elsewhere, and just advertise and re box? Do they offer NiResist turbine housings (trade name for high nickel content cast iron) for their turbos, specifying in writing the material, as Garrett and others do for their high performance petrol engine turbine housings?

Facts please, photos of the HKS plant, personal on site experience, not opinion :)

Just curious, I always buy genuine Garrett or KKK as I want painless parts, rebuild and tech back up here in the UK, even if the box is dull and I might drop x/10 HP ;)

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,172 Posts
Setting up to design and manufacture turbos is hugely expensive, do HKS actually manufacture, in house, the whole turbocharger? Or do they cast different housings for the compressor side to fit cores made elsewhere? Or do they pay to have "HKS" cast into housings made elsewhere, and just advertise and re box? Do they offer NiResist turbine housings (trade name for high nickel content cast iron) for their turbos, specifying in writing the material, as Garrett and others do for their high performance petrol engine turbine housings?

Facts please, photos of the HKS plant, personal on site experience, not opinion :)

Just curious, I always buy genuine Garrett or KKK as I want painless parts, rebuild and tech back up here in the UK, even if the box is dull and I might drop x/10 HP ;)
Could be wrong but I thought Garrett made the HKS units to HKS's specifications.

·
Registered
798 Posts
paul, stay out of it :)

anyway, i think ive opened up a can of worms & at the end of the day ppl have their preference, i.e. is a blonde hottie better than a brunette hottie?
Brunette hottie for me..always tan better and on average have more intelligence:chuckle:

As for the turbos- one of em 2 of em.I had a gt-rs on my old 180sx and my budy had a 2871r on hes s14.He ran a fcon IS, i had a pfc d-jetro.v.similar engines mapped by the same guy on the same dyno with in 2 months of each other.The two cars made almost identical power and torque @the same boost..

think there was a 7bhp [email protected]

hks and garrett are the same in my opinion..double the price for the 3 letters stamped on the housing.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
How many identical setups that have gone from 2530 to -5s do you know of?

I only mentioned this particular one because nothing else changed...
But as I have pointed out several times before on the same discussion, identicle engines / cams / comp / injectors / etc: all make more power with 2530's.
Search 2860 r-5 vs 2530 theres a huge thread on this subject.

This is not a specific 30 vs -5 discussion , its hks vs garrett.
Chris Im 99.9999% sure garrett make HKS turbos

Oh ..
"HKS Performance Turbochargers
HKS is a Japanese company that was formed in 1973. Since its start, HKS has been involved with drag racing, JGTC, JTCC, F3, D1 Grand Prix, Super Bikes, and many other racing series. HKS produces some of the highest quality automotive aftermarket parts. From various engine computer systems, turbo kits, intakes and exhausts, engine internals and more, HKS has nearly every area covered.

HKS turbochargers are made by Garrett to HKS specifications. Some argue that when you buy an HKS turbocharger, you're buying a Garrett turbocharger for 2x its original price. In some cases this is almost true. However HKS turbocharger specs are not identicle to those of Garrett. In many cases, HKS specs its turbochargers for specific engines, displacements, and other factors. This allows HKS turbochargers to offer excellent performance."

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Rb26-Turbo-Upgrade-Dyno-t93880.html&hl=2530

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
^ Yep, it takes the guessing out of the case for people who are more comfortable looking at a catalog and selecting "600hp turbo setup for GTR" and having the parts made up so there is no research require. No doubting the general convenience of buying HKS bolt on parts, they do what they are there for very well! Just the misconception that they are BETTER than Garrett when they are just Garrett turbos is a bit odd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
well his my little story, i hope it helps you marko

I have a hks 3037 with a .68 on a rb25 and someone i have met has a 3076 with a .82 same mods pistons,oil pump,greedy plenum,cams inlet the same exhaust i have 264 he has 260,same head gasket,bearings,exhaust i have a 3to 3.75 hks he has a 3.5 what ever,he has a top mount manifold ,wastegate,i have a stock manifold with internal gate,both cars tuned by very good workshops.mine made 310.4kwatw his made 292kwatw,some thing must be different about the turbo's,you would expect a .82 would have better top end but no.you would also think that a top mount manifold would help to.

I hope this helps you marko..........re
by the way im that mate.lol
paul is right 100%

21 - 40 of 84 Posts