GTR Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
the way i understand it, a HKS turbo is basicly a garret unit reworked,gas flowed and sometimes with a differant trim/ size comp wheel.

·
Registered
265 Posts
the way i understand it, a HKS turbo is basicly a garret unit reworked,gas flowed and sometimes with a differant trim/ size comp wheel.
yep 100% on target!!!!

OK I did some snooping, for the 9.7s run and all the other "later" achievements it was running modified GT2860R-5s. The modification wasn't high flowing or any such thing, they were rebuilt to use steel bearing cages, as opposed to any fancy high flowing. So the only modification was for durability, not that I know of anyone having issues with the plastic bearing cages failing but this isn't just a superlap etc car so probably worthwhile preventative thing - its definitely not going to change performance though.

and since those turbo have been modded to take more abuse im pretty sure they could survive more boost for a longer period....

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
and since those turbo have been modded to take more abuse im pretty sure they could survive more boost for a longer period....
Well, of course. It doesn't have anything to do with the performance - it just may pay off in the long run. What point where you trying to make?

I think of things like HKS turbos etc as an awesome mass produced option for those who don't have the time, knowledge or inclination to put custom effort in to get the absolute best they can from their car. Its like a McDonalds meal solution (referring to convenience, not quality), its quick and easy and you know what its going to get you every time.

It doesn't mean you can't get the same or better from Garrett (or other) turbos - it just means the thinking work for particular combinations has been taken out of of the equation by people who know their shit and you effectively just need to buy it and bolt it up.

I am 100% confident I could get a better performing setup for my car using an off the shelf Garrett turbo than I can from anything HKS do which suit my needs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
the point about if you pressurize the air more the air is more compact.... more millions of oxygen molecules....

even if the turbo doesnt ingest more air it packs it tighter thus providing more air.... if cooled properly it will add hp .....

yep... hks have some specific kit tunned option and is perfect for the people that want to tune in kit increment

81 - 84 of 84 Posts