GTR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think I was looking on your website last night actually. I won't be buying until end of august I would have thought so just getting a feel for what's out there, but gods willing, I will own a skyline soon :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
you will not regret buying any sykline... until the day you park next to the GTR whether R32/33/34 it might set in.

pm me your mail address i will send you a pic of my 33 GTR next to the 34 GTR... you can see the evolution.
If the reason you ant to buy a Skyline is because you want the iconic-ness (if thats a word) then any GTR will do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good info, thanks guys.

Yeah, it looks that way, and because this is probably just a stop gap car for a few years I could do with it holding some of it's value really. I think I need to do some research to find out how much modding a gtt to a decent spec costs so I can work out what a cars value is to me
Ive owned a GTT for over seven years now and have by enlarge enjoyed every minute of it but as with any Skyline modding it can be expensive.
Ive not had the pleasure of driving a GTR but would image the one big advantage it has over the GTT is it being four wheel drive. Ive found the GTT to be a bit of a handful when the road conditions are greasy and have from time time wished id brought a GTR.
Whatever you decide to buy in the end im sure you will enjoy,there are plenty of examples of both models out there look at lots before parting with your hard earned cash :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Alright fellas. I thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread seeing as you seem to know what you're on about, so what supporting mods am i going to need to get a gtt to around 350-400bhp? I'm guessing a turbo back exhaust with 100cpi sports cat, CAI or decent panel filter, a FMIC, maybe a oversized turbo intake pipe, maybe coils, maybe injectors, maybe new turbo?? Then a remap to get everything running right obviously :)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I had an R33 GTST for 4-5 years then bought a R32 GTR and then a 33 GTR. There is no comparison between the way they drive.

I would go for a GTR over a GTST every time. Yes GTST's are fun and do feel lighter but the GTR is just so much more aggressive in every way especially when you start pushing decent power through it.

The drivetrain isn't that much more complicated either.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Alright fellas. I thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread seeing as you seem to know what you're on about, so what supporting mods am i going to need to get a gtt to around 350-400bhp? I'm guessing a turbo back exhaust with 100cpi sports cat, CAI or decent panel filter, a FMIC, maybe a oversized turbo intake pipe, maybe coils, maybe injectors, maybe new turbo?? Then a remap to get everything running right obviously :)

Thanks
Exhaust, injectors, fmic, filter, boost controller, bigger turbo, remap

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ideally I don't want to own a R34 gtt or a r33 gtr, but I can't afford a R34 gtr so need to compromise somewhere
Why do you need to compromise? if you don't want an R34 GTT, then don't buy one, wait, save, enjoy what you have, build your insurance and buy a GTR when you can afford it, trust me, if you buy a GTT that twinge of regret every time you get in it is going to spoil the car for you.

If its being behind the wheel of an icon that you want, GTR32 is the way to go.

After you buy your GTT then spend 10K getting it to 400hp, then get blown away by a pretty stock GTR (in any guise) the first words out of your mouth will be "bollox, I should have bought a GTR", then you wife/girlfriend is going to weigh in with "I can't believe you wasted so much money on this car" etc etc etc..........suck it up, save your money, and get what you truly want, don't compromise, ever!.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I know what you're saying and of course ideally I would like a GTR, but if I wait until I can justify spending that amount of money on a car, I'd be waiting a while... If i took all my savings and sold my cupra R I could probably afford a nice gtr now, but that would be a really bad decision in the long run. I think right now I'd be better off getting a nice gtt to have some fun in and make the step up to gtr in some years, once I actually own a house and my 'extra' money is actually disposable income that I could justify spending on a car. You're a lucky man if you never have to compromise, but for me i think it's compromise or go without for quite some time, and I think the compromise is the better option

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just don't think they look anywhere near as nice. The rear end especially just looks so much better on the R34 IMO. Maybe rather than setting my sights on a R34 I should just start looking at all skylines and find the one that I want the most, and maybe I'll see a nice r33/32 gtr that catches my eye

·
Registered
591 Posts
The back end of the 34 GTR was always my favourite too, until I started looking seriously at 32s. Now, I think the 32 wins hands-down in the styling department; the 33 and 34 just look too busy and a bit showy in my eyes. The 32 keeps the aggression subtle but it's definitely still there!

(THAT'S JUST MY OPINION - before the 33 and 34 owners get angry with me! Beauty's in the eye of the beholder and all that...)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Thanks
Here's a thread of results & mods on SAU that will help you decide.
(you can find quite a few 'what should I mod first' type threads there also).
Just remember that R33 GTSTs are similar enough (but some differences) to be used as a guide.
FYI power results are mostly at the wheel, or at the hubs... no bhp approximated fly power tomfoolery.

Rb25 Turbo Upgrade, All Dyno Results - Page 50 - Forced Induction Performance - Skylines Australia

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks for the input fellas but I think it's going to be a 34. I do like the others and obviously would love the gtr performance, but it's unlikely I'll track the car and I just want something that looks shit hot and has a bit of poke, and for me that the r34. I've still got a couple of months to decide until I get my years no claims so I could change my mind, but I think my mind is made up. Plus I think I'll have more fun in rear wheel drive anyway ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks for the input fellas but I think it's going to be a 34. I do like the others and obviously would love the gtr performance, but it's unlikely I'll track the car and I just want something that looks shit hot and has a bit of poke, and for me that the r34. I've still got a couple of months to decide until I get my years no claims so I could change my mind, but I think my mind is made up. Plus I think I'll have more fun in rear wheel drive anyway ;)

^^^
ive owned a r34 gtt before for approx 5 yrs and was a fab car.
Although no external mods got a few admiring looks and comments on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Got a quote finally. 1500 on a 380bhp GTT once I've been driving 2 years with a years no claims, which I'm quite happy with. It could have been worse. I also got quoted 1400 on a 404bhp evo 8 which is bloody tempting. Really nice car but it has one big problem.... It's not a skyline.... Decisions decisions.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.