GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has no cats, will a sniffer test be required when my car has its first MOT?

Just want to make sure my car will be up to UK standards before I ship it out. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I'm sure there must be some places around that turn a blind eye to this. I would've thought they would be more concerned about the emissions in general rather than it having a CAT or not. Isn't the rule for CATs that a car has to have one fitted if its newer than a certain age? What if you said that the car were never made with a CAT?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Skylines have no listing on the DVLA database as they were never officially imported. This means they don't have to meet car specific emissions requirements based on the way they left the factory. Simply a baseline emissions test. If the car was made prior to 1996 (i think) and not originally destined for the EU then it doesn't require a CAT to pass basic emissions. Later cars may do, though dependant on what they choose to test the car against may well pass without a cat.

Jon

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you car is a pre-92 R32, then a CAT is not required for the MOT, although you will obviously have to be under the required maximum emissions levels.

I am sure you can find a garage that will temporarily add a cat to the car for it to pass the mot and then remove it afterwards. This was certainly the case with my old Subaru.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Out of interest Simon, what sort of insurance quotes did you get in the end on Spudguns car?

I had to end up doing it on my Dads insurance with me as named until I'm 25, otherwise it would be £3000+ with anyone (including Directline). What's more annoying is that no one will take the fact I've been driving my Dads company car around for the past 6+ years without accidents into account, at least not until I'm 25.

I'd be interested to know what kind of quotes you've had so far.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Insurance

I am 23 with full NCB, no accidents, the car is garaged, alarmed, trackered and in a rural post code. The cost is just short of £2K through privilege, whom I have been with for the past 3 years with my Impreza. I think previous performance car experience assists in getting you a cheaper quote.

Your problem is obviously your lack of NCB, if I were you I would buy and insure a Panda or similar otherwise you will still have no NCB when you are 25.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This car is a 87 Mustang, which did have cats when it came from the factory. Do you know of a garage that will, be helpfull?

I'll be getting a Skyline at the first chance when I am in counrty.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I am 23 with full NCB, no accidents, the car is garaged, alarmed, trackered and in a rural post code. The cost is just short of £2K through privilege
Why I oughta! ;)

23 years old and already owned an Impreza and Skyline - what's your secret? :)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
87 Mustang is fine... I seriously doubt that mustangs have ever been listed by the DVLA as I don't think they were officially imported. In 1987 in the UK, unleaded petrol wasn't even fully available if I remember correctly... I think the first car to come to the UK with a standard CAT was the Toyota Celica (ST185 shape)in 1989. So the 1987 spec emissions tests should be quite easy to pass :)

Anyway regardless a 1994 Impreza turbo import doesn't require CAT's to pass MOT.

Interesting quotes you guys are having on Skylines, privilege and tescos have both given me sensible quotes at a similar age - under 25 (both sub £1500 for a standard car - rural post code, 4 yrs NCB, tracker etc). Infact bearly more than the impreza would cost me :) Modifications do up things a fair bit though...

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I'm with Tescos at the moment (or rather, my Dad is).

When I'm 25 they've said they'll take my company car driving experience (6+ years) into account. I've even got a letter from my Dad's company saying I've been using the car for SD&P purposes since I was 17, with no accidents, etc. They just wont accept it until I'm 25 - bizarre but true.

Directline wouldn't accept company car insurance at all (if the policy was still active)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Durzel said:
23 years old and already owned an Impreza and Skyline - what's your secret? :)
Hard work and dedication... Or at least dedication any way. ;)

I wouldn't worry to much about the Mustang, it'll almost certainly pass '87 emmisions.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm 23 with 5 years ncb and my insurance with a stock R33 GTR is £1400 odd, £200 excess. When the car has completed its lttle power upgrade (550 - 600 hp) they then want £2500 with a very large excess!.

Jason.

·
Registered
961 Posts
iam 17
insurance on a 1.1 renault 5 is £1330
but a bluebird 1.8 is bout £1480
and on a 3.5 range rover (1983)is £3350
but my mum with no no claims gets the range rover for £460
and the renault for £360 ish
crazy hay!

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
What gives with all these youngsters, Have I accidentally stumbled upon the GTR Register Creche ? :p

Who provides the cover for your car Jason ?

I'm gonna take your details to my insurance broker, and point out that I expect better value from him. :mad:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thats with Direct Line, the only drawback being you have to have a Tracker installed and a Cat 1, or they won't insure you for theft. Privilege give me good quotes aswell. I'm sure you could find it cheeper then this, spending a few hours on the phone to different brokers. When it comes to the power increase its going to be --- 'Hello; is that Natwest loans department?'....

Jason.

·
Registered
520 Posts
JasonO... are you sure it is everyone else who is young, and not that you are just old?!? :eek:

;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts