41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
26,308 Posts
I think some people are very rose tinted

nismo gtrs sell in japan ( volume) not Uk

you know there’s still a big market for these special editions

it would do everyone a favour if they sold out / discontinued etc

it’s an old car , that’s a ball ache to make, ship n sell & adds very little to profit

I really do think everyone reckons we should be driving r32s/33/34s etc

Really couldn’t care if my21/22 was the last

it’s a good car, it’s not as groundbreaking as it was.

·
Registered
388 Posts
purchased a MY20 demo yesterday and was told, by the dealers, that once their MY21 demos are sold they can’t get anymore.. none to replace them
Did they say whether they can take build orders?

·
Registered
22 Posts
No.. but they said they can’t order any more cars so I guess that would mean no as they buy their demo cars as new and spec them as they see fit. This was 2 dealers, westway aldershot and lookers Newcastle. i Would presume, and it’s only presumption, that if they can’t buy them and can’t put a demo model in the showroom I’m thinking this epic run of the gtr we know is all but done

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
purchased a MY20 demo yesterday and was told, by the dealers, that once their MY21 demos are sold they can’t get anymore.. none to replace them
Thats good info thanks, can you say which dealer this was?

I am about 4 months from being in a position to purchase so the timing is bad for me. The dealer's comments are consistent with the Nissan website which no longer has a configurator for the GTR and the downloadable brochure is also dead.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thats good info thanks, can you say which dealer this was?

I am about 4 months from being in a position to purchase so the timing is bad for me. The dealer's comments are consistent with the Nissan website which no longer has a configurator for the GTR and the downloadable brochure is also dead.
I will also try and find out (tomorrow) what the situation is with recent build orders (I.e. have they been accepted and scheduled). And if you want me to find out about a particular spec, what might be coming in four months time....

Edit: You could message it to me if you want to keep it a surprise!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
That would be great John (y) I would like Bayside Blue with Recaro or Prestige interior. I can see a demo available now so I think I will email them today on that car

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
What an amazing coincidence. I was about to message the dealer about the Bayside Blue demo they have and when I received an email from a Porsche Dealer who added me to their waiting list for a Cayman GT4 just a few weeks ago. They have offered me a build slot for September. I wasn't expecting to get a car at all let alone so soon and had put it out of my mind as a possibility. :)

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
What an amazing coincidence. I was about to message the dealer about the Bayside Blue demo they have and when I received an email from a Porsche Dealer who added me to their waiting list for a Cayman GT4 just a few weeks ago. They have offered me a build slot for September. I wasn't expecting to get a car at all let alone so soon and had put it out of my mind as a possibility. :)
I would take the Gtr over the Gt4 any day of the week

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did ask for a discount on the MY21 demo at Newcastle. Best they’d do was some servicing but I declined as it’s 200 miles from me. Got more discount on the 70 plate so all good

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Totally different cars. My neigbour has a 2020 718 GT4 and its quick and nimble. Has carbon brakes and drives really well but I felt it lacked torque and pace despite being a 4.0. In some gears it just lacked oomph (it's a manual). Much smaller than the GT-R and my neighbours first impression in mine was "oh my god that's fast". He didn't comment on the ride quality, but the Cayman rode better I thought though was also a bit twitchy for me. Have to be delicate with it whereas the GT-R sometimes needs you to muscle it around. I think the GT-R gets better at pace when you hustle it, whereas the Porsche seemed to reach a point where it got "edgy". Nice choice to have though, between the two!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
That's a very useful post, thanks Sknam. I must admit the GTR is ahead slightly at the moment and despite its age, it still manages to look fairly fresh and interesting in Bayside Blue. The turbo GTR would smack the Cayman for speed but the Cayman is all about delicacy and poise. In reality, I would love both as they do things so differently and each offers a thrilling drive.

I am in touch with the dealer now and am waiting to hear what they say about the MY22 moel, or if this really is the end of the line.

Have you driven both Will? I would be interested to hear your opinion if you're willing to share it.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
The power delivery is very different as you would expect. The Cayman feels quite flat below about 4k but comes alive as you get beyond 6000+. But apart from second gear it just didn't feel that quick acceleration wise unless you absolutely caned it and even then it lacked balls compared to the wad of torque you get in the GT-R. I agree mondie on the delicacy and poise aspect, especially turn-in where it felt really agile. I suspect the GT-R has better overall grip though as the Cayman felt to me like it was about to break away on some higher speed B roads I know well, whereas my car just hunkers down and grips, no fuss. Interestingly, we both have Cup2 tyres.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thanks again Sknam, very useful feedback. The GT4 would be PDK which has slightly lower gearing but doesn't fundamentally change the silly gearing that Porsche seems to have used to cap the GT4's performance. I have wanted a GTR for years and I am finding it hard to go past one now that they look to be NLA. Getting a slot so quickly on a GT4 is a fortunate complication!

·
Super Moderator
15,974 Posts
Just to say I was told all build slots this year were taken, that's not the same as saying there are no cars available or they are discontinuing it. They've simply sold out of this year's allocation.

Reactions: SKNAM
41 - 60 of 77 Posts