GTR Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just to say I was told all build slots this year were taken, that's not the same as saying there are no cars available or they are discontinuing it. They've simply sold out of this year's allocation.
Won't the dealer's have taken some of the slots for later this year ? I saw a FB post from a Noble salesman saying he had secured several track editions as he expects to sell them easily.

·
Super Moderator
15,974 Posts
Yes I think that is exactly what has happened. Dealers have already taken all the slots, as they know they can sell them!

Reactions: mondie

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
That makes sense Toni since Nissan recently announced the MY22 Nismo implying the car still alive:

I believe the current GTR doesn't run exhaust GPF's, I wonder how much longer they can sell into Europe without these?

The MY20 received upgraded turbos for better lower end power, was this discernible to owners who had both?

·
Registered
261 Posts
That makes sense Toni since Nissan recently announced the MY22 Nismo implying the car still alive:

I believe the current GTR doesn't run exhaust GPF's, I wonder how much longer they can sell into Europe without these?

The MY20 received upgraded turbos for better lower end power, was this discernible to owners who had both?
I didn’t notice any discernible difference from a my18 to a my20 at all tbh.

·
Vendor
3,201 Posts
The turbo’s were changed to give quicker response and the housings changed along with quite a few other bits like brake booster,tcm, probably revised damping.

what it means to the general public I don’t know.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
It seems the GTR may not have reached the end just yet. The factory that produces the GTR is undergoing renovations and the GTR is expected to return, but for how long is anybody's guess.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Not necessarily, but I hope you are right. That factory produces loads of different Nissan cars. All the bodywork/interior and general assembly is built on one line so you have various cars being built in the production line chain nose to tail. It's really clever. If you haven't already, take a look at the Discovery channel documentary series on Megafactories and the Nissan GT-R episode.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
It's not me saying the car will make a return, just what I have been told.

I will check that doco out, sounds like a good watch.

Cheers

·
Registered
388 Posts
I believe the document referred is somewhat out of date as at lists amongst vehicles produced the 370Z, of which we were told production ceased in summer 2020.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
My source said the factory was temporarily closed for refurb to prepare for a new model and that was the reason GTR supply stopped. I did some digging and stumbled across the link I posted above which fitted with what I was told. I was also told the car will be available again. That's all I know.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
For me, the next generation GT-R is what I'm waiting for. Nissan have tinkered with the R35 for ages now, a tweak here, a tweak there (some minor, some pretty worthwhile re. body stiffness, chassis etc) but nothing - Nismo aside - that really stands out that hand-on-heart I call a real world performance "improvement".

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Do we have any reason to be optimistic an R36 may ever materialise? Does Nissan have the finances and a CEO who wants a performance car topping the range, as Goshn did? Covid, the rapid changes in legislation and the rise of electric cars must make setting long-term strategy more difficult than it has ever been.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Do we have any reason to be optimistic an R36 may ever materialise?
My heart says yes, my head says no.

Does Nissan have the finances and a CEO who wants a performance car topping the range, as Goshn did?
I think the 400Z will be the top performance car. Whether they can take that - using hybrid technology, presumably - to another level, I suspect they might. Will it be the new GT-R? No.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Either way, they've declared themselves to be getting out of the sports car market in Europe (including UK). That will just leave imports and I've no idea how you'd get those through the current and planned emissions regs...
End of an era.

·
Super Moderator
15,974 Posts
Also a weird decision. Look how well Toyota are doing with the GR range - people want exciting cars, not just boxes.

·
Vendor
3,201 Posts
If there’s a demand for sports cars they will make them, the biggest loss will be independent companies like tickford,mountune etc not being able to put a twist on them on behalf of the factory.

The cars would be based more on a profit orientated scale.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts