GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slightly anal about clean windows. I use window cleaner to clean my windows. Nothing surprising there. But the windows still aren't clear enough for me. I've tried using white sprit etc which does a reasonable job but I want cleaner/clearer.

Any tips out there from people in the know?

Cheers!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have you tried vinegar and newspaper? Works well for me.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed I have Zero. I know I can get cleaner though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The other thing I use is a cream window cleaner. That always works well, but it's the dust that gets right on my t*ts :(

Are your windows smearing? Or is the cleaner not removing sap and...errr...stuff?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I tend to use Autoglym stuff for car cleaning, and noticed that they do both a glass cleaner, (spray stuff), and also a glass polish for getting windows super shiny.

Seeing as I was too tight to shell out for the glass polish, and noticing I already had the Autoglym Super Resin Polish for polishing the bodywork, I gave that a go. If it polishes paint it must be alright to polish the glass too I figured.

And it worked! :thumbsup:

On my 200SX where the outside of the windows, (especially the rear screen), felt not very smooth, and had these watermarks and other marks that wouldn't wash off, it cut straight through. Afterwards the glass was mega smooth and shiny, and ultra clean.

Had a go at the insides of the windows and it worked there as well, you could see the polish cutting through the grease. I used the same techniques as for polishing paintwork. One cloth for polishing, one for buffing.

I wouldn't recommend it on the insides of windows tinted with film obviously, but it worked great for me on normal glass. Worth a go if you've got some car polish lying about, but I guess you wouldn't want to use one with wax built into it, just a pure polish.

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Yup, Autoglym glass polish for me...
Its the dogs.....

TT

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
As Tim says.... A mild diminishing abrasive like Autoglym SRP or something like Poorboys SSR 2 should get shot of most stuff that most chemical (but non abrasive) cleaners won't ... Then just keep using a decent glass Cleaner like Prima Clarity or Duragloss Rain Repel ;).

Cheers.

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Autoglym fastglass.

Although I tell you what's better....Lexus do a small spray can of cleaner for the clear plastic over your dials and for sat nav touchscreens (was a bottle in the glovebox of the lexus when i got it), it's the nuts ! I dunno how much it is but assume you can get it at a dealer.

Can photo it if you want ?

Like you I'm really Anal about clear windows, my missus recons I've got a problem....LOL.....can drain my washer bottle a least 2-3 times a week.

Infact I was out in the dark, Autoglym'ing my Skyline windows about 2 hours ago so I can take it to work toomorrow...sad I know.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Have u tried WURTHS active glass cleaner its an ammonia based foam its brilliant stuff not the cheapest but got to be the best and u only need a bit so it`ll last ages, it comes in large aerosol tin, its great for tar too when it gets flicked up off the road.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I use the window cleaning fluid you put in the car
Just put some in a spray bottle diluted in water, works well for me
Anybody tried?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all. I'll report back shortly.

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
This is that Lexus stuff I was on about, tis really good....no idea on price though. The part number is on the back of the little plastic case it comes in.

It's mean for sat nav screens, clock/dials plastic and inside windows but works just as well outside.....doesnt smear one bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts