GTR Forum banner

Windscreen is awful

1K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Neanderthal 
#1 ·
Driving back in the pouring rain and spray after being soaked at Brands Hatch yesterday I couldn't help but notice how awful my screen is to see through.
I had cleaned the car prior to leaving it for a week to go on hols. Used Turtle Wax car shampoo which I've used on other cars.
Driving in the rain in the dark (now the government turns the lampposts out in the motorway... :chairshot:chairshot:chairshot) really was terrible, the screen looked like something was smeared over it. In the dry and in daylight the screen is fine but last night I really didn't enjoy the journey home.
Is this down to something I've used to clean the windscreen or just a build up of fly innards or perhaps the wiper blades need replacing (although they don't squeak or skip).
Can you polish windscreens?

#12 ·
Just getting back to the car was a nightmare, the path had 3" of water on it and if you dared to go on the grass you were ankle deep in mud :chuckle:

Back to my original post, I hadn't realised there was a dedicated detailling area of the forum, so sorry about posting this here :nervous::nervous:

#13 ·
I am using GTechniq's stuff on my car and to be honest, I really enjoy driving in the wet. I enjoy it so much that sometimes (when my car is dirty of course), I wish it was raining, so that I can drive it around and enjoy the water beading.

Although, their products are not cheap, they really are top notch!!

Currently, I have around 6 layers of G1 and 2 layers of G5, all done by myself. It really makes it much more safe to drive in the wet as I can see everything without a hassle.

A quick video I found on YouTube showing a comparison between treated and untreated windshield:

#14 ·
Jake Hill's wipers failed in the race and Rainx was the only thing that saved him from coming in.

On a cautionary note, if you Rainx your screen in the summer and pick up a mass of squashed flies, then it is worse than not putting anything on as it is so good at beading and dispensing with the water that it just creates a smeary mess with the flies.

#15 ·
PIAA silicon wiper blade inserts do a great job too, as they leave a silicon coating on your screen whenever you use them - helpful in the winter when frequent use of screenwash removes RainX stuff.
Not to mention that they are more durable than the Nissan variety and a fraction of the price...

Protegimus

#16 ·
I use GTechnik Glass Treatment, it's amazing. First thing I do when I get a new car now is to book it in with the local detailing company and have the paint cleaned, protected and the windscreen done.

Once you've had the windscreen done, you won't be without it.

#17 ·
plenty of good treatments to choose from as already mentioned but would start with new wipers

rain -x

car lack

g-techniq c1 for long term but must be prepped right or c5 for regular apps

#18 ·
I find FogX good for interior fogging.

For outside I use AutoGlymn Aqua Wax and it's very good.

Rain-x must be properly applied for full benefits. You need to ensure surface is clean and dry before application.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.