GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just fired up my car today after leaving it in the garage since December as I was away working.

The car started first time as I had the battery hooked up to CTEK automatic charger. The only issue I had was the windscreen washers where not working I couldn’t hear the pump just with the ignition on and the windscreen washer tank is full.

I assuming its the the pump ??? I would just like some conformation ( pumps are only £28 for eBay I will check the fuses tomorrow )

Any help would be really appreciated

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Got the same issue as you in that the windscreen washers aren't working BUT my headlight washers aren't working also. Thought I couldn't hear the pump (or pumps - I've read some posts saying there are 2 pumps (One black, one white) and others saying just one)) but when I filmed from outside using phone camera to check the headlight washers I could hear the pump in the nearside wheel well whirring away. Did a fair bit of research and a few folk are saying before swapping out the pump(s) to check fuse 47 in the IPDM (grey/white 10A fuse) as this can blow and cause the pump(s) not to work. I'm getting mine checked at the next service as didn't fancy the hassle of getting the IPDM cover off (looks like a battery out job).

Anyhow, that's what I've learnt, hopefully yours will be an easy fix (y)

·
Vendor
6,230 Posts
If you can hear the pump then it aint fuses or anything electrical, sometimes the pumps get blocked with gunk of some sort and it may be that or the nozzles on the windscreen washer side get blocked. To check the fuses with a 12v light bulb tester you need a second person to sit in the car with the ignition on and holding the washer arm in pulled forward state otherwise the fuses won't be active, power only goes to the fuse upon pull of the arm as if your using the washers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys thanks for the feedback. I am going to attempt to fix this over the weekend I will let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys it turned out to be the windscreen washer pump. I checked the fuse first but this was ok .
The windscreen washer pump is located on the NSF of the car so the only access to the pump is to remove the NSF wheel to give more access ,then you have you remove the wheel arch inner plastic cover which is held in place with clips.
Once the the wheel arch inner cover is removed the job is pretty straight forward as you have easy access to the washer pump ( the windscreen washer pump is white in Colour I will attach a few pics the headlight washer pump is black) To remove the pump you just need to disconnect the the electrical plug then removed the pipe at the bottom of the pump , then I used a small pry bar to remove the pump from the tank.
This is quite an easy job and didn’t take that long complete, I ordered the pump from eBay 28 pound so a cheap fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts