GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps, quick question to run past you all.

I have a uprated Rad and Oil Cooler, which is great in summer but in winter, my oil temp never goes above 76. Especially on the motorways.

I cant really think of a good way to remedy this, other than to take off my fan. I did this earlier and now she runs between 86 (motorway) and 96 (in traffic etc)

Is this an "ok" thing to do, or am I out of my mind and should stick the thing back on asap..

I just always worried about my oil not getting up to temp....... EVER

·
Registered
234 Posts
i presume the oil cooler doesnt have an inbuilt thermostat if thats the case the cooler is just keeping cold oil cool not good for your engine whats your water temp like?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
76ºc is definately to low for oil it needs to be above 80ºc

Which fan are you removing? And what is getting to 86-96ºc? Oil or water?

Easiest thing is to cover your oil cooler (cardboard is very Heath Robinson, but works). Or change the piping so that the cooler isn't used. I presume your oil cooler doesn't have a stat in it. It should, this would keep oil out of the cooler until temp is reached.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
They all have a stat as far as I'm aware and I believe the stats can be changed on most units to suit the application so you may just need to buy a different stat. If the oil stills comes up to temperature in the same time as before then you have a stat but you should ask a race engineer if 76C is too low for the GT-R before assuming it is - with the correct vis of oil it may be acceptable although it seems a bit too low from what I've read :confused: .

I had a quick look in Graham Bell's "Forced Induction Performance Tuning" book for you (brilliant book - best I've read and I've read a LOT) and he states that once above 70C most cars can be driven hard and that the cooler the oil the better for SOME engine parts BUT (there is always a but) you lose horsepower the cooler the oil - about 1% lost between 85C and 95C. He suggest the ideal temp is between 95C and 110C. He reckons with modern oils a cooler is unnecessary for street use.

From what I've seen most would try to keep the oil at 80C or slightly above or so in NA road cars, higher in performance/turbo cars and as high as you can get away with in race cars.

It also becomes a LOT more important to choose the correct vis of oil to suit the cooler - Oilman (Simon) should be able to advise people on this when running an oil cooler.

Hope this helps :) .

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Does anyone where it is possible to buy a different thermostat for the oil cooler?

My HKS kit has a thermostat, and oil temps stay around 76 degrees. I don't really want to block the core, so i was thinking of just buying a different value stat.

Any ideas?...

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
how accurate is the stock oil temp gauge? My car doesn't get too hot, but I do want to be sure I'm properly warmed up before letting Godzilla loose...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
They all have a stat as far as I'm aware.
No they don't you can get kits with and without stats.

you should ask a race engineer if 76C is too low for the GT-R before assuming it is - with the correct vis of oil it may be acceptable .
It is not all about viscosity.

I had a quick look in Graham Bell's "Forced Induction Performance Tuning" book for you (brilliant book - best I've read and I've read a LOT) and he states that once above 70C most cars can be driven hard and that the cooler the oil the better for SOME engine parts BUT (there is always a but) you lose horsepower the cooler the oil - about 1% lost between 85C and 95C. He suggest the ideal temp is between 95C and 110C. He reckons with modern oils a cooler is unnecessary for street use.

It also becomes a LOT more important to choose the correct vis of oil to suit the cooler - Oilman (Simon) should be able to advise people on this when running an oil cooler.
The oil needs to be kept above a certain temp (85ºc ish) so as to burn off contaminents which will otherwise degrade your oil.

Graham bell is indeed a VERY knowledgeable chap, but a sweeping statement about modern cars not needing an oil cooler should be taken very carefully. Experience of working on one type of car has given many people a great deal of experience of what does and doesn't work on that particular model.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
You would have to ask some of the mechanics/engineers on here but I would reckon they are a fairly standard oil cooler stat and each one will have a part number etc to suit the temp required.

On this site this one is set at 82C Filter Mounts, Spin On Adapters, Sandwich Plates and Oil Thermostat

Mocal Sandwich Plates and Oil Thermostats

and some for MX5's set at 88C

Flyin' Miata : Engine/Drivetrain : Lubrication : FM oil thermostat kit

You will need to find one that suits your car, oil cooler, oil flow and temperature.

There maybe even some way of adjusting them if anyone knows???

And like Cord says it's not all about Vis.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, been running around this arvo with my main fan off (the one thats bolted to the engine)..

Seems to be running ok. However, even with the fan off, the engine wont go over about 79. However, if I sit in traffic for a while or pooter around, it goes up to around 90 and no lower than about 86 when I take it on the motorway. A bit strange really, but she isnt complaining. Sitting in heavy traffic I think it went up to 103, the highest I have ever seen it ever... .even in the hot summer and using lots of boost.

I just dont like it when doing long runs and the oil can go as low as 72.

I have tried card before, but it doesnt work.

For now I will keep the fan in the boot and hope for the best. My water temp remains fairly constant. It is only a five min job to put it back if it goes too high.

p.s. The last time I bought some oil from Opie, I told them all about the temp problems and they gave me a suitable oil. BUt they did say it was a bit too low.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Where is your oil cooler located? And is it stat controlled? I would be REALLY suprised if you can't get your temps up by covering the oil cooler in cardboard/plastic etc...

The viscous fans main job is pulling air through the radiator to keep WATER temps stable. Running without it could very easily lead to overheating at low speeds or in traffic. Running without it is playing a very dangerous and potentially expensive game.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey guys,

Ive got a UK spec 34, and it does not have a thermostat build from Middlehurst, I had massive problems trying to get temperature at cold times especially as it runs a ram air feed system from Nismo.

What Ive done Ive taped up the inlet to oilcooler in my front bumper, and if extreme cold weather, I tape up the outlet vents as well (the back of the ram air setup).That keeps my oil aprx at 75-85 degrees and it heats up much faster.

You can actually see a bit of tape up in this picture:
http://www.kismo.dk/Kismo pics/the car/Show shots 012.jpg

See the tape on the grill below passenger side head light.You might have to zoom in.

This is straight from racing Ive used this trick, even in F1 we tape up to keep oil temps in check during rain/cold testing.we just apply the tape directly to the radiator or oil cooler.

Good luck
Nicolas K

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand the water temp thing, but I am at a loss as to how to get my "overall" engine temp up. Since the taping thing dont work on my car, what choice do I have apart from taking it off in winter and putting it back in summer. A pain in the **** if you ask me.

I will run it for a week, but am worried now about being jammed up on the M6 for hours and it going pop....

the headgasket that is ;)

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Nik thanks for your reply.

Thats exactly what i was planning to do this winter. As this is also very easily reversible!! Plus won't look to out of place on a black car!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts