GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you are currently on either of the runflat options then yes. If you are on MPSS then it's a marginal call as MPSS are much better than the runflats in the wet and cold. However, as with any wide performance tyre, snow will I think be too much of a challenge for them.

I bought a set set of wheels with Blizzaks pre mounted from Tirerack in the US and have done 3 winters on them. They are showing very little wear. They are good in the streaming wet and great on snow for the odd occasion you need them, but obviously a bit crap when pressing on in drier winter weather.

My GTR is my daily driver so I chose winters to avoid having to get the bus or walk when it snows.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Winter Tyres needed or not?
Although the OEM Bridgestone and Dunlop are classed as Summer tyres I used OEM rubber for 3.5 years covering nearly 60k and never had any issues with them, so long as you treat the car with respect when wet/snowy/icy you should not have any issues.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Although the OEM Bridgestone and Dunlop are classed as Summer tyres I used OEM rubber for 3.5 years covering nearly 60k and never had any issues with them, so long as you treat the car with respect when wet/snowy/icy you should not have any issues.
Exactly the same here. Although I've not covered as many miles !

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Sounds like the answers if people who haven't used them.

You have the choice, would you like more grip and better wear rate in the conditions or less?

Why compromise when you don't have to?

The cost is just cash flow. You are buying your next set of tyres now and as result your current set will last longer and you gave better tyres in the conditions as a result.

Winter tyres have more grip below 7.5 degrees, especially if there's moisture on the road. They cooed better with standing water and on snow if even ice they are immeasurably better.

Given the choice if trying to climb hills in very low temps, I'd choose winter tyres before 4wd.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You have the choice, would you like more grip and better wear rate in the conditions or less?

Why compromise when you don't have to?

The cost is just cash flow. You are buying your next set of tyres now and as result your current set will last longer and you gave better tyres in the conditions as a result.

Winter tyres have more grip below 7.5 degrees, especially if there's moisture on the road. They cooed better with standing water and on snow if even ice they are immeasurably better.

Given the choice if trying to climb hills in very low temps, I'd choose winter tyres before 4wd.
I presume you use winter tyres then? Which ones please

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I used mine extensively for the last 3 winters and as I mentioned covered nearly 60k miles in that time, I was not a fair weather GT-R 2nd car user so I take a little offence at your comment above.

I do agree that Winter tyres are better in low temps but I would not use them in this county as the times when the ambient temps are low enough to justify the purchase price are not as frequent as people might think.

If he is doing low mileage and only wants to purchase one set of tyres then OEM will be fine so long as you set the correct tyre pressures and don’t drive like a dick.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
If you are going to use the GT-R when the temps are low and the conditions bad it's a no brainer IMO.
Provided you can justify the cost for the few weeks per year when you really need them. Even though they do give more grip under +7c.

I'd rather just use something else though, so it's not as much of an issue if someone slides into it on an icy side road.

I use winter tyres on my daily driver every year, but I'd not put them on a GT-R unless it was the only car I had.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
errrr, don't they have winter in Japan ????

If so I reckon and forgive the mantra, but the OEM Bridgestone RE070's will work :)

PS well they have on my car which I have had for 5years and will using again this weekend in the "Winter" to go to the AGM.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
I used mine extensively for the last 3 winters and as I mentioned covered nearly 60k miles in that time, I was not a fair weather GT-R 2nd car user so I take a little offence at your comment above.

I do agree that Winter tyres are better in low temps but I would not use them in this county as the times when the ambient temps are low enough to justify the purchase price are not as frequent as people might think.

If he is doing low mileage and only wants to purchase one set of tyres then OEM will be fine so long as you set the correct tyre pressures and don’t drive like a dick.
Yep, I concur !!!

Dick or not dick !!

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts

Yep, I concur !!!

Dick or not dick !!

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
I've managed to get through some very icy roads on a set of well worn R888s in the GT-R as the AWD system is very capable on snow and ice.

It would have been a lot safer with winter tyres though, especially under braking where the AWD doesn't help!

But you have to factor in the hassle factor and potential rim damage that could occur from swapping tyres over, or the bigger cost of buying another set of wheels to mount the winter tyres on.

To be honest, I would be too worried about other road users to use my GT-R on a regular basis on snow and ice, although as Arcam said, that doesn't happen that often over here.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Clearly it's a personal choice.

The Bridgestone Blizzaks are runflats too so worth a look if that's important to you OP. Can't comment on others as have only ever had one set.

Last year I drove from Leeds to York early morning when it had snowed about 5 inches overnight. Was making fresh tracks and not far off being a snow plough. I would not have contemplated that on summer tyres and for sure would not have made it very far if I had. And I don't drive like a dick. However whether you think its worth bothering with them for odd occasions lie that is a personal judgement call.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Snow and ice don't care what tyres you've got. That's why studded tyres were created. I really don't believe in this winter tyre trend of late. This is not Scandinavia. Winter tyres are great if you live in a place where you need to plug your car into the mains at night, to stop it from freezing to death. You need to do that if you're a Volvo. :chuckle:

Never had winter tyres, and I never will. Big gaps, go slower. Simples. :)

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Winter tyres are not snow tyres, they are cold weather tyres and have more grip on snow AND even ice.

I do agree with the above though, I don't use them on the Gtr as I prefer to use an alternative car in low grip conditions because of other drivers. If the Gtr was my only car I'd switch to winters. They do t cost more money, they only cost cash flow!

David, 4WD does a lot uphill but is no advantage when trying to stop.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
so far I've never run a set even though i have the evo for four wheel drive fall back with good sticky road tyres I've bought some for the minivan

i reckon the combo of front diesel engine and drive should be a winner

they where delivered early this week so will be fitting very soon

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Winter tyres are not snow tyres, they are cold weather tyres and have more grip on snow AND even ice.

I do agree with the above though, I don't use them on the Gtr as I prefer to use an alternative car in low grip conditions because of other drivers. If the Gtr was my only car I'd switch to winters. They do t cost more money, they only cost cash flow!

David, 4WD does a lot uphill but is no advantage when trying to stop.
You can't convince some people Adam. :)

4x4 rules!
It gives you more traction for pulling away but absolutely sod all extra traction for stopping.
It is amusing to see the Range Rover Sports parked in hedges when the snow comes down though. :chuckle:

I'd rather run a front wheel drive on winters than a 4x4 on summer tyres.
But then I know they are better under +7c, rather than just when it's snowing.

My wife couldn't get off our drive in some snow we had a few years back.
Put a set of winters on and she was driving around quite happily including places that you'd never had got on summer rubber.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts