GTR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all

I got Michelin Pilot Super sport 305's on rear and 275's on front, and have been great for the spring/summer, and seem to last ages, Nitrogen filled, but looking to go air filled from now on.

Having said that I am considering buying separate set of wheels (have acquired two so far) and using "Winter" tyres from October to Feb.

Is there any logic and if so based on same size tyres I have now, what would anyone recommend out there.

Use the car all the time 25k miles a year and don't feel comfortable with the michelin spec tyre as is with a bit of ice on the road!!

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I lived in Germany for year or so, and ran winter tyres out there. Defo a difference in grip over winter months. Not the cheapest things in the world mind !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed might pay bit more, but if it saves having a crash the excess alone would cover the difference!!

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi

I've been running winter tyres on a second set of wheels for the last 5 years - Like you I bought the wheels one at a time -in late 09 there weren't that many about. The first set were Blizzaks that I bought from Tirerack in the US. The front ones finally wore out early this year and I bought some replacements but never fitted them - I just swapped to my summer wheels as the weather was not too badf

The cheapest place I found was here Tyre 255/40 R20 : discount price, free delivery - Tyre Leader They didn't have Blizzaks when I bought them so I bought Dunlop Winter Sport. They arrived when they said they would and seem fine. Company is based in Germany and if you look closely on their website some tyres specify the year of manufacture and some don't (often the same tyre, size, brand etc just a bit cheaper)...so If you choose one that doesn't specify the age then you're likely to get an older tyre. I think the ones I got were manufactured 5 yrs ago

GTR on winter tyres in the snow is amazing (and significantly better on standing water that any summer tyre...all of which are scary)

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Hi

I've been running winter tyres on a second set of wheels for the last 5 years - Like you I bought the wheels one at a time -in late 09 there weren't that many about. The first set were Blizzaks that I bought from Tirerack in the US. The front ones finally wore out early this year and I bought some replacements but never fitted them - I just swapped to my summer wheels as the weather was not too badf

The cheapest place I found was here Tyre 255/40 R20 : discount price, free delivery - Tyre Leader They didn't have Blizzaks when I bought them so I bought Dunlop Winter Sport. They arrived when they said they would and seem fine. Company is based in Germany and if you look closely on their website some tyres specify the year of manufacture and some don't (often the same tyre, size, brand etc just a bit cheaper)...so If you choose one that doesn't specify the age then you're likely to get an older tyre. I think the ones I got were manufactured 5 yrs ago

GTR on winter tyres in the snow is amazing (and significantly better on standing water that any summer tyre...all of which are scary)
good info thanks

255-40-20 all round? I ouldnt mind trying the blizzacks, I've heard they are decent on the Evo's in winter, so was contemplating them for the gtr.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have any issues with run flats summer or winter. Speaking to my tyre man, he thinks they are too hard particularly with low profile tyre and hard suspension.

Any thoughts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And yes the blizzaks seem to be general concencus from oyther threads as well, but they dont do 305's, so will have to reduce to 285's and 255's on front.

Again any issues, I like the wider tyre for grip, so reducing 20/15mm respectively sort of counteracts the point of winter tyre to an extent.

Oh yeah also do you know whether the blizzaks are multidirectional doesnt say on site, but pic implies not. Not a major issue but would be nice to know

·
Registered
924 Posts
HI all

I got Michelin Pilot Super sport 305's on rear and 275's on front, and have been great for the spring/summer, and seem to last ages, Nitrogen filled, but looking to go air filled from now on.

Having said that I am considering buying separate set of wheels (have acquired two so far) and using "Winter" tyres from October to Feb.

Is there any logic and if so based on same size tyres I have now, what would anyone recommend out there.

Use the car all the time 25k miles a year and don't feel comfortable with the michelin spec tyre as is with a bit of ice on the road!!
There are Winter spec Dunlops that some on here have tried and been impressed with.

I recently drove up the Stelvio in heavy sleeting and snowing and I have never driven as hard as that in the dry before. MPSS were unbelievable.

My passenger just couldn't believe how much grip was there. We stayed overnight and by morning there was about 8 inches of snow in the car park. Mine was parked on an uphill slope. The car just pulled away like normal while most others were needing of a tow by the snow plough.

I would be tempted to see how you get on, we may not have a bad winter and I think you will be surprised how good they are.

Satan

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've got a set of Enkei GTC01s wearing Blizzaks in OEM sizes sat in the garage if anyone wants them. Been meaning to put an ad in for sale since I sold my GTR in May.....
PM me if interested!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts