GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So thought i would try and gather some opinions....

I have owned my car since new in Sept 2010 and every winter since it has come off the road at the first sign of salt and then sat in the garage biding its time until the weather got better and the salt washed away.

The roads around me had their first dusting of salt last week and the car was duly washed, waxed and put into hibernation for the winter. However today it was nice and i thought it would have been great to have taken it out and done a few miles but i just could not bring myself to do it....am i mad??

So got to thinking.....how many of us take the cars off the road for the winter and how many use it right through the winter regardless? The wife reckons I am just mad, which i accept i am about many things, but would i be silly using it in the winter when i really don't have too?

Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Steve....you've lost it mate :)

I don't use mine in the Winter as I can't see the point in getting it covered in salt and crap. You'll never be able to get all of it off from the underside.

Some people say drive it, some say don't.

Personally I cherish mine too much and for the Winter months I run a cheap hack. After having bikes and seeing how harsh the salt is on alloy, I don't want any of that on my car. The GT-R to me is very special. Cost-wise, I couldn't afford to run it all year round anyway so it solves the problem for me.

I just have to try and not think about it too much and instead, appreciate the immense power that is a 75bhp Audi A2 :)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
It's there to be used mate, IMO :D

I'm a fellow clean freak so it just gets a good clean/detail afterwards. I understand why people want to put their pride and joy away but it kind of defeats the object for me personally.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Salt water eats away at any exposed metal, even stainless steel unless it's marine grade. I hate seeing rusty seams, bolts and struts. Only to avoid is either replacing every nut and bolt with marine grade, and doing a full underbody underseal, or simply tuck it away for winter. I still drive mine on dry days in winter, just avoid moisture when mixed with road salt.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Use it on nice days all year, I rarely use mine in the wet as I can't use much of the power if the roads are not dry, I don't enjoy driving slow:chuckle: I had a great time out in mine today, nice drive to Alton and back.

·
Administrator
31,759 Posts
If your gonna own it long enough for rust to become an issue you'll spend the money to protect it

My 18 year old Skyline is only beginning to show signs of rust and its nothing a coupe of grand won't fix.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Stevie I'm with you mate. Mines been tucked away for almost a month already, once they stop gritting/salting the roads next year it will come back out. I've got a couple of other cars to bum around in including the Scooby with winter tyres for when the going gets tough :)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
It's just a car, you're a long time dead.

Don't get me started on gritting though ffs! I wish more ppl would complain about it to their council, they're out around here nearly every night even when it's 8 degrees. It just makes the roads dirty and slippery, causes potholes, rots road furniture and contaminates the water table. Then when you get off the trunk roads the B and C roads are untreated anyway (thank god) and are nice and dry, grippy and clean.

They're needed when precipitation is forecast, but rarely for frost, and definitely not when it's 8 de****ingrees! Other countries don't put with it. I think it's probably been taken over by private companies who charge the council per grit run, things that don't make sense are usually about money and greed.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Gritters definitely very aggresive this year - I just hope they have enough grit to remain through winter :p

Salt damage is very serious on the car though so unless I am sure I can get the GTR a proper wash I will try utmost not to drive her.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Drive it all year round. Can't see the point in just leaving it sit for months ...

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Drive it all year...gave my daily a4 Avant to missus so I could use it every day...use it Steve the car will appreciate it as will you

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
If I had a GTR and also a 2nd car like an Audi or a Scooby I definitely wouldn't be driving the GTR.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I drive all my cars in the winter (range rover sport, c63, toyota auris) but this is the first winter with the GTR. I personally think the GTR is better off than the other cars ive got due to the plastic undertray. So im defiantly not putting the car in for hibernation mode, gotta go enjoy the winter + snow :) give it a good clean afterwards..

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right old mixed bag of replies.....as much as I want to drive it I don't think i could bring myself to do it :( Just going to have to keep myself content in the company car and Clio for the winter and count down the days to spring.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I spend 700miles a week in a VW for work so look forward to every opportunity to use the GTR, couldn't bare the thought of it sat in the garage so will be out in it come what may :)

Steve I take my hat off to you and the others that can resist the temptation, that's some serious will power :bowdown1:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts