GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tried to open the driver's door on my GT-R and the window was frozen so didn't drop to allow door to open easily. The door did open but I could it feel it squeeze past the surround. There was no damage but I couldn't shut the door afterwards. I'm currently trying to thaw it out.

So, be careful this morning when you open your cars if it's below 0 degrees in your area. I'm not sure how the door surround will stand up to forcing the door past it every day for the next few months. Anybody got any tips/tricks for this situation?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
The doors on my Z used to freeze shut too

I took it as a safety feature, along the lines of 'its icy, you must be balmy if you're thinking of going out in this car.'

·
Registered
968 Posts
Either spray the rubbers with silicon oil or buy one of these special waxy sticks and rub car door rubbers with it. One big downside with a coupe, it will leave a dirty edge on your window. They both will but if you wipe silicon oil off properly it's not so bad.

·
Registered
300 Posts
priceless

David, i think yu can open doors but not close them without battery.... i don't know if i'm under influence but i seems to remember that

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I poured some lukewarm water over mine this morning, it was the bottom of the window that was frozen that made it stick, so the door would only easily open a few mm, but it wasn't stuck at the top.

Your post was timely, thanks very much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not good. Likewise if your battery goes flat so the window won't budge, what do you do then?

Thankfully mine is garaged, but I'd like to know what to do if I did get caught out.
My HPC told me to apply a slight downward force on the door to get the window past the lip if the flat battery/emergency key situation occurs :nervous:

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Arrrrgggggghhhhh, don't ever pour warm, hot or even cold water on your car !! LOL

Do this simple experiment at home - wash your hands in luke warm or even cold water, open you freezer and then get something out !!!

David et all, you can get into the car if the battery is flat (I have experienced this already) by unscrewing the screw under the door handle and using the key manually to get in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.