GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running winter tyres? And/or winter wheels?

If so what are you using and how good are they?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a second set of OEM wheels with some Blizzaks I got from Tire Rack on them. This will be the third winter on them. Overall:
1. Grip in the dry (even at mild sub-zero temperatures) is inferior to both Bridgestones and Dunlops, and also MPSS which I currently have on.
2. Grip in the wet is far better than the Dunlops, and better than the Bridgestones. Standing water no longer causes buttock-clenching on motorways and A-roads. I'm not sure how they will compare to the MPSS, which are better than the OEM tyres in the wet, but since my Blizzaks are OEM sizes and my MPSSs are 285/295 front/rear it's not quite a like-for-like test anyway.
3. If there's any slush or snow, the difference is night and day.

I've found that I try to delay the change to my winter wheels, since in normal conditions over an average UK winter the compromise on winter rubber is significant. If I had space to keep another car I would probably spend the £2500 a second set of wheels and tyres costs on a cheap 4 wheel drive winter runabout, but since I don't and I need to be able to drive around for work The GT-R got some new boots.

I think the main danger if conditions get bad are the plonkers driving 10 year old non-ABS equipped sheds over ice on bald summer tyres 20m from your back bumper. My improved stopping distance then just helps them remodel my rear bodywork more effectively...

Andrew

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm running the Dunlop 3d winters on a second set of wheels. Don't feel much different to mpss in daily use other than they are stiff like stock dunlops and suffer than my toyo r888s

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a second set of OEM wheels with some Blizzaks I got from Tire Rack on them. This will be the third winter on them. Overall:
1. Grip in the dry (even at mild sub-zero temperatures) is inferior to both Bridgestones and Dunlops, and also MPSS which I currently have on.
2. Grip in the wet is far better than the Dunlops, and better than the Bridgestones. Standing water no longer causes buttock-clenching on motorways and A-roads. I'm not sure how they will compare to the MPSS, which are better than the OEM tyres in the wet, but since my Blizzaks are OEM sizes and my MPSSs are 285/295 front/rear it's not quite a like-for-like test anyway.
3. If there's any slush or snow, the difference is night and day.

I've found that I try to delay the change to my winter wheels, since in normal conditions over an average UK winter the compromise on winter rubber is significant. If I had space to keep another car I would probably spend the £2500 a second set of wheels and tyres costs on a cheap 4 wheel drive winter runabout, but since I don't and I need to be able to drive around for work The GT-R got some new boots.

I think the main danger if conditions get bad are the plonkers driving 10 year old non-ABS equipped sheds over ice on bald summer tyres 20m from your back bumper. My improved stopping distance then just helps them remodel my rear bodywork more effectively...

Andrew
That last bit is exactly the reason why I'm afraid of going out in the GTR when its freezing/snowing.

I have use of another car, but its a merc a class (old shape) so don't think it will handle the winter that well.

Might just leave her to chill for the winter and use the other vehicle :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Last year I had access to a BMW 1-series some of the time, which I tried to use when I could since I was less bothered about denting it. But TBH it was (as you'd expect) poorly suited to slippery conditions and several times I couldn't get it up the slight hill away from our house. The GT-R just cruised up without any bother at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
not sure how to post films on here, never done it before. its on you tube called
2014 Nissan GTR Snow testing, very interesting film about 20 mins long.
Me scared of winter driving....NEVER...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts