GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've moved to the wider MPSS setup as recommended by Litchfield's this weekend, but noticed a definite "wobbling" when accelerating hard on a slight right hand bend.

I understand that the sidewall isn't the same strength as the OEM run-flats, but wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Did at the same time you have the wheels balanced?

I had same issue previously and it was due to when I tyre changed the wheel balance being wrong, I assumed as I'd switched tyres it was that but it wasn't.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the wheels were all balanced when the tyres were fitted.

To be clear, I'd say the wobble was more from the rear of the car rather than a shaky steering wheels - almost a bit of a "bucking" feeling.....

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
These tyres compress much more when you start to lean on them....mine feels like it moves around on the tyres before it settles which can be a bit unnerving but you do get used to it. Pressures matter more than ever with these....i run mine at 35psi cold which does help. Done 2K miles this way with perfect wear across the tread.

Likely i wont buy MPSS again when they are done....the harsher ride is a better trade off for the feeling of security the Dunlops provide even if they dont provide as good ultimate grip.

I'm doing a run up to Glasgow in mine soon and i will be happy with the MPSS then but at all other times pushing the car around i do miss the runflats.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have not read through the pressure thread, but I have the oversize MPS fitted, and under hard acceleration cornering at speed the car feels nervous and wobbly.

This is at normal tyre pressures, from memory 29psi.

I have found that 32psi cold rear removes this feeling, and the car feels much more settled.

Jase.

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Michelins recommended pressure for the OE size tyres is 29psi front and rear, I had mine fitted by Litchfields and experienced a similar handling feeling.

I spoke to Iain, he confirmed that 29psi is the recommended pressure, and that's what they use on there test car at the ring.

Personally I can't get on with it, I have not gone over 32psi, I found that this was just enough to remove the feeling.

Jason.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's great guys - thanks for all the advice. I'll try a few extra PSI tomorrow and will report back....

Cheers,

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts