GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if a stock oil pump is getting worn, could that be the cause of low oil pressures - 1 bar idle, only climbing to 2 [email protected]?

Or could there be (this is an R32, not mine) slippage at the crank due to the narrow crank drive?

Couldn't be a clogged oil filter, could it?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope, it's a mostly stock car, the stock oil sender was bypassed and oil pressure read directly off the orifice. At 4000rpm it's only making 2 bars.

Oil thickness does make a difference, but this seems unusually low.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
What oil is it running?
I've found that's usually the culprit for low pressure due to high viscosity at hot temps.
its gonna take more than thicker oil to get that pressure up !

30 psi at 4k rpm is crap for any engine let alone an rb

·
Registered
798 Posts
possibly a problem with the trust side of the crankshaft..trust bearings could be badly worn.How does the oil pressure react when the clutch is pressed down??does it shoot up??..i had these symtoms before and thats what it turned out to be

That engine is in trouble with presures that low..nothing got to do with oil choice etc

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
When an oil pump wears, it's usually the drive flats that start to deform. The gear casing and end plate might score, but that isn't an issue.
Where are you measuring the pressure from?

·
Registered
736 Posts
sounds like the same story mitch32 had... he saw the exact same symptoms and he pulled his motor to discover 2 of the screws and come loose on the backing plate of the oil pump and oil was seeping through there.

search his user name the thread is recent.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Backing plate coming loose could cause this, as could a scored rotor set or pump casing. Engine out, pump out, check all the shells too. Don't forget really bad cam bearing wear can drop oil pressure. You need a proper look see inside before something `orrible `appens :) I'd re shell and re pump it as matter of course once it's out.

·
Registered
444 Posts
stick oil pressure gauge to the oil pressure switch make sure oil pressure is down after that i would stripe bottom crank pulleys and remove bottom oil crank seal if you have a long crank colar you should be just able to see it.either way you look at it if the pressure is low you will have to strip it out anyway .i dont think it is your oil filter being blocked coz if it was it would bypass and the switch is just before the filter anyway and i dont think its the grade of oil but i would go for the oil pump backing plate being loose , adrift or cracked and i reckon if the colar was worn your oil pressure would be radical up and down before going to nothing but dont rule out oil pick up strain being block i havent come accross it on rb engines but ive seen them blocked on audi ,vauxhall and even broken on sr20's this is my 2 pence worth im sure there will be others that can add to this but this is the route i would go down good luck with it hope you find the fault let us know

1 - 11 of 11 Posts