GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here and fully enjoying the ownership of my r33 gtr.

I got it last thursday. Completely standard apart from nismo springs and rear spats with 60000 miles and in superb condition.

I love it however ive been doing a lot reading through this forum and have some worries after seeing so many mentions of bottom end rebuilds big end failures and engine rebuilds. To my knowledge the rb26 engine is very robust when looked after of course.

My cars always been run on standard boost. How wary should I be of things failing at this mileage or am I just being silly ?

Just to mention my car feels very tight in every shape and form.

Many thanks

Ashley

·
Registered
25,949 Posts
can never really tell without seeing the car close up

drive it like a muppet and dont service the car etc then yeah it will go.

all these cars are driven hard in japan (mostly)

odd how all imports come with "60,000 miles"

:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah I see. Are you suggesting its been clocked? I take it by not driving like a muppet you mean letting it warm up when cold and running the turbos down when finishing driving etc

·
R35 Section manager
11,052 Posts
I ran my car daily for over 5 years untill it needed to have a rebuild!!! Keep some money in the bank just in case or a interest free credit card to hand!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
its the same story all over the skyline range mate ,spining bearings ,piston lans , nackered oil pumps lol

well spun bearings keep good oil in it and change every 3 to 4 k
piston lans my advice is get it mapped to a stage you want once a comp test plus leak down test is done then have it setup evey 6 to 12 months , and run a afr gauge just incase something goes like a fpr or a fuel pump as lans will go if theres to much heat generated by runing to lean

oil pumps well i think again thats part to do with bad maintance as if you have a bad one the oil pressure wont hold a solid pressure when warm ,

so conclusion

skylines will be massivly reliable if serviced to a good standard but wont last forever so while its being a good boy save a buffer to repair when it comes

i was lucky with my gtst i think as the abvove coments matty are quite right you dont know the full jap history but mine was imported in 99 so it was up on the japanes laws on age and milage , So i have full dealer service history from japan then a 10 year comprehensive folder full of reciepts

Cheers Jay

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
revs kill engines quick!
keep your max revs below 8k, plus all the other good advice mentioned

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
It's important to make sure the fuelling is right.

Detonation will destroy engines over short periods of time, worth getting your car on a dyno to see how the fuelling is.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
its the same story all over the skyline range mate ,spining bearings ,piston lans , nackered oil pumps lol
... horrendous spelling

best advice is not to over worry, for some strange reason.. the more you worry about noises and such.. the more stuff breaks.

my first GTR I didnt care a stuff about and it gave me three years of perfect running despite being 17 years old.

·
Registered
27 Posts
... horrendous spelling

best advice is not to over worry, for some strange reason.. the more you worry about noises and such.. the more stuff breaks.

my first GTR I didnt care a stuff about and it gave me three years of perfect running despite being 17 years old.
Absolutely i have asperger's syndrome and slightly dislexic so shall

A/ shoot myself
B/ worry about it it the point i should never type anthing
C/ sit in the corner stay out of the way

but i do bathe in the ore that my spelling can be horrendous :p

cheers jay

·
Registered
25,949 Posts
Ah I see. Are you suggesting its been clocked? I take it by not driving like a muppet you mean letting it warm up when cold and running the turbos down when finishing driving etc
let it warm up, cool down properly

dont overboost it, rev it hard etc

no im not saying that, (milage)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I see.

Got some more wise words of wisdom today from abbey motorsport. The importer I got the car from said he serviced it and by the looks of the oil Id say he spoke the truth. However after speaking with Mark at Abbey I think it might pay to get some top quality grade oil in the engine. He mentioned 15/50w.

Thanks for your replies chaps

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
One thing to think about is that generally all you hear about on car websites are the problems. Generally people don't post about how reliable their car is. Also lots of the cars on here are modded, depending on how well that's done will shorten the lifespan. Given that stock GTRs are rare beasts you've got to expect a car running 1.4 bar to be higher stressed than a stocker.

All R33 are going to be ten years plus old. I would expect that the older a car is the more problems you'll have. At base the cars are solid and if looked after will hang together well. You'll always get some lemons and there's always people who kill their own cars quicker than others. All cars break down sooner or later.

If it's any solace I had a my (old) diesel remapped. I was told by all and sundry that it would knacker the clutch in short order and a new one would be needed. I no-longer have the car but the new owner reports that the original clutch is still fine (car has gone near 90k miles with nearly 50k on the remap). What I'm trying to say is if look your car properly it'll do much better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Helpful comments guys, thanks.

Although it is completely standard engine wise I was hoping to upgrade the exhaust and induction and maybe a boost controller. Obviously when uping the boost the engine works outside of its designed parameters but what would you say is a relatively safe level to go to. 360, 380, 400 ?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Any of those numbers are safe. At around 0.9 bar you'll see approx 380bhp. Stage 1 will make the car much nicer to drive and how it should've been from the factory imo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts