GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
HI guys

got a bit of a bad one here, was just drivin alone all nice nice then all of a sudden i get a shudder, the car goes into auto mode and wont let me come out, its as if shes gone into safe mode as heavy throttle presses do nothing and she seems to be slipping when she shifts up.

I have the transmission light flashng at me and also the "VDC OFF" light is on and the flip the bonnet light is on.

I pulled over and turned the car off then it wouldnt turn back on for 30 mins

when she started again she drove ok for 2-3 mins then the same shudder and safe mode / lights on the dash occured... there also an error on the dispay behind the wheel but as im in a jdm i cant understand it...

i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this, has experienced it or know whats going wrong? id greatly appreciate any help?

i took a photo of the dash when she wouldnt start its here :-http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3821/photopk.jpg

cheers

Mart

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Possibly solenoid in the transmission acting up.

First call should be to your HPC straightaway, and dont drive the car. If you're in Wigan, call Middlehursts and Linda will look after you very, very well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the reply. I hope its something minor like that, i only bought it from Middlehurst a week back haha =(, they will certainly be called in the morning.

I'm worried that its gonna be something with the ECU or The transmission totally failing, She has the HKS570 installed and if there's a problem with the ECU that could take a while to replace ? i don't know just not very happy or stress relieved right now! Real glad i managed to get a full warranty when i bought her

Is the solenoid a common fault? more so on the JDMs and etc?

cheers

Mart

·
Registered
8 Posts
The solenoid issue has reared it's ugly head a few times and is apparently due to bits of metal accumulating on the actuators causing them to jam. In some cases where the owner was out of warranty due to grey import they rebuilt the GR6 themselves. In other cases where owner was in warranty Nissan has replaced the GR6.

Now your case will be interesting how this is remedied since I think (correct me if I am wrong) the dealer is providing the warranty and not Nissan since the car is a JDM.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
It could be a number of things. My guess would be the hks kit making too much torque, tcm ecu doesn't like and goes into safety mode.

If you had an AP you could read your own error codes. ecu rest could well sort you out there and then.

If you had an AP i could do you a map which turn's off that annoying torque safety mode

·
Registered
300 Posts
translation

"buy an AP from me"

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey, thanks for the reply. I hope its something minor like that, i only bought it from Middlehurst a week back haha =(, they will certainly be called in the morning.

I'm worried that its gonna be something with the ECU or The transmission totally failing, She has the HKS570 installed and if there's a problem with the ECU that could take a while to replace ? i don't know just not very happy or stress relieved right now! Real glad i managed to get a full warranty when i bought her

Is the solenoid a common fault? more so on the JDMs and etc?

cheers

Mart
So your the guy gary finney was refering too when i asked about the red hks 570 car, he said theyd just taken the kit off to sell the car when someone came along and asked em to put it back on again, brilliant.

Hope you get it sorted mate, let us know how you get on

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey, yeah thats me! I went for a JDM with the HKS570 rather than a uk spec, risky! and most definately not the best financial option but man what a blast, the dump valves alone transform the car for me! i managed to get a 3 yr warranty too!!

Anyway, shes back out of middlehurst now and apparently it was just a loose connection on the EVC, she was having troubles communicating with herself. and throwing me into safe mode to prevent damage.. the loose connection was making my speedo and rev counter stay at 0 when i was driving, really intimitantly. and my boost read out on the display was going MENTAL... all these things are controlled via the hks stuff now and thats where the problem lay. apprently

it was a warranty issue so didnt pay a penny and once again the middlehurst guys did a splendid job diagnosing and repairing what i really thought was going to be a nightmare!... I thought it was gonna be too good to be true but she seems to running excellently now, i gave her a "thorough" test all yday and today and never skipped a beat.

fingrs crossed and thanx for all your help!

Mart

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay where did we leave off...

Ah Yes, i got the car back from Nissan after they claimed to fix what they found to be a "loose connection" to the ECU. She ran fine for 2-3 days of running low/medium and high boost tests. Then one day in the carpark @ work she went again... wouldn't start for 30-40 mins once again sigh sigh sigh sigh, started eventually and i was forced to drive her home up the m6 in "safe mode" which was rather horrendous.

So she went back to middlehurst for a few more days so they could find out what was causing it this time and perhaps LAST time too... i waited 6 days and they got back to me saying this time a frayed wire was found, now its been repaired... once again ive been driving her for 2-3 days and shes fine but its in the back of my mind that shes gonna go again and its COMPLETELY RUINING my relationship with her =(

One other problem ive noticed is some times when im quickly accelerating generally in 2nd and 3rd gear when the revs start getting rather high, she starts to kinda "lock up" as if either the brakes are being pressed or perhaps the awd system is going a little weird.... i was wondering if anyone has experienced anything like that before?

Im not entirely sure if its related to all these other problems as i had a bit of a collision with the passenger side rear wheel and the curb when i very first bought her which required me getting a new suspension arm, wheel and Tyre... so im guessing it could be somthing that wasnt repaired properly when she was in for those repairs instead?

Any light shed on this would really put my mind at rest as im having a torrid time right now haha =(

cheers guys

Mart

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
I doubt your wheels are locking. More likely is all that torque causing loss of traction. Mine does that in all gears even in the dry.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I doubt your wheels are locking. More likely is all that torque causing loss of traction. Mine does that in all gears even in the dry.
Hmm interesting though it doesnt feel like a loss of traction, the entire car kinda locks, tightens up.. tenses even... hard to explain but it doesnt feel like shes still driving smooth or that shes fighting for traction.

Its as if the wheels just stop spinning properly and its CHOKING! that's a good way to explain it actually..., making me worry that its a 4wd system issue =(... also the traction light is not flashing up when this occurs ive monitored it quite closely...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts