GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the back of "Car" magazine, it says the R34 Skyline sells for £54K new and is worth £20K after 3 yrs.

OK, so some of us didn't pay £54K for their UK car, but that's one hell of depreciation don't you think ?

I did my sums and figured I could have had a Ferrari 360 for the same depreciation (let's face it, a car only costs you what you lose on it)

OK, OK.. I know it's an awesome car (which is why I bought it) and there's a grin factor every time you drive it, but still !

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
That sounds like a tad bit extreme!! A 99 V-spec here is around 4.5-4.7 mil yen....thats just over a million down from list price. The UK spec mark up is the factor for the huge depreciation.....which is a bit of a rip off in the first place. Get youself an import and you're a happy chappy!:D

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
R 34 for 20 k

I have never seen a 34 advertised for 20k

I like to take what the mags say with a very large pinch of salt after all, the maximum power output of the r34 is 280 bhp with the r33 @ 276 !! according to the mags.

and as for 0-60 times they are completely different in every mag.

This is the main reason I put for this being one of the most underrated cars out there.

I wouldn't lose heart :cool: A car is worth as much as people will pay and if no one sells it for 20 k then no one will ever buy one for that.

This would also destroy residuals on r33's as no one would buy a 33 when for an extra 2.5 - 5 k they could own a much newer 34.

don't panic mr Mainwaring !!

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Depreciation

If I ever took any notice of what car mags said I probably be driving a Vectra or Focus.

I can't remember the mag but it was about a year ago and they group tested 2 cars side by side out of a bunch of I believe 10 making it 5 comparison tests. They only had the 34 being compared to an Audi S4 estate. Ever since then my motoring magazine purchasing has been restricted to "if I am lucky to have a small pic of my car in it I will buy it" :rolleyes: . And thats only for keepsake and something to look back on in years to come.

Saying that, Wroestar and PeterE have you kept the pics of you guys in your Model T Fords :D :D .

glen

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Glen,

Bugger, I can't find one anywhere, must have thrown them out when the war broke out....

What I did find though was a picture I took of you driving your Benz on the London to Brighton vintage car run with my box brownie on my fifth birthday!! It looks like it's got 50" wheels, you were wearing some designer leather goggles and a black leather posing pouch!! :)

Prehistoric Pete.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
If I ever took any notice of what car mags said I probably be driving a Vectra or Focus.
Glen, if you took as much notice as that implies, then with your liking for Fast Car & Maxy P, You'd be getting done for under age !!!!:p

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Max Power

Is it true you can get arrested for buying it aged over 40 ??? I did have the checkout girl in WH Smith query my age once. I just replied "yoh bitch jost pazz me da mag and hush up". Just got away with that one, PHEW :D .

glen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts