GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been resisting writing anything about my terrible experience I've had so far but I've decided its now time to share my experiences of Westway Nissan Manchester and name and shame the dealership.

Back in March i decided to explore upgrading my 59 plate Nissan GTR, a car that hasn't given me any issues for the past 18 months except that I've increased the mileage to 49000 miles so i thought it was time to change.

I had a look around the internet and finally settled upon a 2011 GTR 8500 miles at Westway Manchester and called to arrange a px deal. After a full day of back and forth a deal was agreed in principal subject to viewing the vehicle and taking a test drive to make sure all was well.

When i arrived at the dealership that evening, the car was filthy and hadn't been valeted, however the inside of the car looked ok and i arranged to return the next day to look over the outside once it had been cleaned. Upon returning the following day the car was this time up in the air on a ramp in service as they were having an event showcasing the my14 model and wanted to show the underside of the vehicle. This gave me a chance to look over the underside myself and check the tyres, brakes etc. Unfortunately the outside of the car was again still filthy and i couldn't look over it properly. I was told it would all be fine as they are a Nissan owned dealership and wouldn't sell any vehicle that wasn't of main dealership standard. As i also work for a main dealership i decided to trust that this would be the case and agreed that if 4 tyres were changed to my preferred choice of Michelin MPSS and 4 alloys refurbished and the 2 trolly dings i spotted then i would be happy to proceed with the sale as long as no marks on the car.

1 week later i got an email from the salesman who informed me that the service dept wouldn't swap the tyres over for me as they can only supply manufacturer run flats and the sizes i asked for were not available. After i complained about being messed about again they agreed to refund the cost of the MPSS so that i could fit them myself after taking delivery. Nice customer service, recon my own car. Well the miles were good so i reluctantly agreed if they would swap over my Y pipe for my inconvenience so the deal was again done. I returned 1 week later to drop off my GTR and have the Y pipe removed and i was put into a Nissan Leaf as per my request to try an electric car whilst i waited for 1 week to take delivery.

The week with the leaf was great, what a fantastic little car for short journeys.

I returned to the dealership 1st week of April to take delivery of my £53k GTR only to notice it had been valeted but left outside and was now completely filthy again. I noticed marks all over the paintwork, small scratches and chips on the passenger door and even the mirrors had some marks on them. Overall i was completely disappointed with the condition of the vehicle. When i returned home i decided to put a new carbon engine cover i had purchased on it and noticed the underside of the bonnet was covered in mould and the engine bay was filthy dirty. I took some pictures i will add below. So disappointed i decided i would take the car to the car wash later and have it cleaned again however when looking around the car i noticed a small crack in the rear bumper and saw red. I was angry now and immediately called Westway who simply said bring it in and we will look at it. so back to the dealership i returned the same day id taken delivery of this cr4p heap. The salesman and sales manager agreed to sort the rear bumper crack and assured me of its quality and i also pointed out the chips and scratches on the passenger door which they also agreed to fix before i returned back. this time i was put into a Nismo Juke for 2 weeks because of the bank holiday.

The Juke is a terrible car compared to the leaf to drive.

I spoke with Jack the salesman on tuesday and was told the car would be ready for me to collect on Wednesday night but that he was off. I arranged to finish work early to collect it but when i called Westway i was told the car wasn't on site so i couldn't collect it and i would have to collect Friday instead

Yesterday i was very excited to be able to collect my car at 10:30am so i made my way to Westway Manchester to collect my GTR. Upon arriving i was told the car was in fact on site wednesday and that someone had let him down. When i saw my car again it was still filthy on the outside but the engine bay had now been cleaned by the salesman and was looking far more acceptable. Not wanting to delay my delivery any further i checked the bumper repair and tried to check the door had been done (it was covered in dusty dirt) and started the engine. What a surprise, the car had barely any fuel in it (the salesman had agreed to refill it for my weeks of inconvenience) so i brought it to his attention and he met me over the road at the petrol station to refuel the car at their cost. Chapter over.... well at least i wouldn't have to return to this dealership again i thought so off home i went back to Preston to get the car washed at my local sponge wash. Once home via the car wash i thought id go outside to look over the paintwork and dry any bits missed as i had booked the car in with Griffiths detailing for the following week to correct the swirly paintwork at a cost over £1000. Almost every panel had a mark of some sort, some minor scratches some deeper. The passenger door still had the chips on it that i were assured would be gone and i noticed scratches all over the front of the car and a moody smart repair with bad paint on the wheel arch. the disappointment continued. Remember this car had 8500 miles on the clock and was 3 years old. I drove to the detailer for his inspection and he told me it would be mostly improved with what he was going to do the the car so i felt reassured by chris, whilst nearby to Middlehursts i decided to pay John and Gary a visit to let them see the car.

When i pulled up at Middlehursts and went to reverse into the parking bay, i noticed a lot of what felt like diff binding and resistance however i put this down to the diffs and poor road surface and thought no more of it. After i returned home i had a feeling the car wasn't driving as well as it should and the gearbox was shunting a little, i called john who reminded me that it took me some time to fall in love with my old gtr and not to worry. I reversed it on the driveway and again i felt something wasn't right. It clunked and felt uneasy low speed manoeuvring so i decided to return to see John at Middlehurst so he could reassure me its in my head. by this time it was 4pm so i drove across and arrived by 4:45. Within 12 feet of getting into the car Gary had diagnosed a nakered part on the gearbox that was preventing the car from disengaging 4wd. Aparently this is a very rare issue but an issue requiring a complete gearbox replacement. What a first day with my GTR? I called Westway who said i needed to return the car back to them and after my terrible experience so far i have reluctantly left the car with them to investigate further. Its looking highly likely i will need a complete replacement gearbox for the car within 1 day of ownership. I have also requested Westway to respray the moody repaired front wing and to sort the chipped passenger door. Jobs i shouldn't have had to bring to their attention in the first place. Thankfully I'm back in the Nissan Leaf again lol for however many weeks this is going to take to sort. In the meantime my insurance is running, My Road tax is running and i about to pay my first repayment on the car as they processed the finance almost 1 month ago.

I cannot decide if i should let them repair the car and accept that it would then have a nice new gearbox removing the risk of further failure or should i cash in my chips and walk away from it. Im even starting to wonder if i should look at other cars like F Type Coupe etc. Sorry for the long post, but i thought you should know about how bad this dealership is when spending this kind of money i expected to be treated the way i treat people where i work and not to have all this. If everything with the bodywork and the tyres etc had been done right in the first place and the car presented as i would have expected, the gearbox issue would have been easier to accept as just bad luck. But the fact they have failed at every hurdle so far and have had a can't do attitude for just about everything has simply made my angry. Nobody could have predicted a gearbox failure, but the rest was diabolical.

·
Registered
27,346 Posts
sorry to read this..

however, when they started messing about on the first instance i would have just walked away.

keep with the GT-R but not this one, id just try and trade it in somewhere or back to them.

one thing i would not do is keep taking it to a car wash if you are that concerned about the paint/swirl marks.

Nissan (at this dealership) clearly don't really care and that shows.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry to read this..

however, when they started messing about on the first instance i would have just walked away.

keep with the GT-R but not this one, id just try and trade it in somewhere or back to them.

one thing i would not do is keep taking it to a car wash if you are that concerned about the paint/swirl marks.

Nissan (at this dealership) clearly don't really care and that shows.
I only took it to the car wash because its booked into the detailer next week anyway. once thats done i would either wash it myself or have the detailer do it. The car was filthy so i just wanted it clean. I wasn't in a particularly great mood after the morning and just wanted to see the car underneath the muck.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,438 Posts
The state of your car sounds *EXACTLY* like the state of mine I bought from them 6 weeks ago.

When I collected my car on the agreed day it was filthy. Initially it was parked at the back of the place and was boxed in. It clearly had not been even washed, let alone properly valeted.

However, by the time the sales was complete it has been washed and looked ok. But when I got it home I noticed how poorly presented it was. There were lots of little scratches around the door handles, boot etc. The leather was scuffed as well (not damaged, it just needed properly cleaning). Anyway, I spent almost 2 days on it; washed, clay bared, repolished etc, wheels cleaned properly, and the glass and the leather cleaned and fed. When I'd finished it looked about 1 million times better.

I know I should have kicked up a fuss at the time but I suppose I just wanted my car and was a bit "over excited" I suppose and so did not really spot these things.

Anyway, a couple of weeks later I got the usual customer satisfaction survey and I slated them. A couple of days later I had the Dealer Principle on the phone saying how sorry they were and they would make sure it was fully valetted at the next service and also they would supaguard the car as well.

Since then I've had two 2 mails. The first one said not to forget to bring it back for it's optimisation (hmm, it's a 3 year old car).

The second email last week was a reminder to say my MOT was due (it's due in March 2015) and also it was due a service now (it's due in June). I replied to the email saying that they should updated their records and that I was losing confidence in them; did I get a reply ? What do you think.

I spent £47k on mine and I think I was treated like someone buying a £1000 run-around from a local garage.

They are reasonably convenient for me as I'm in Chester and I work 1 day a week in Manchester at the moment but I'm wondering of it's worth the bother of letting them service it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If i was you and if you can i would want my money back and walk away from it. There is no way i could sleep at night knowing i had spent £50+k on a car that had had all kinds if body repairs and a major mechanical failure at that age with so few miles on the clock. It obviously hasnt been looked after and is a complete dog. Why buy it when there are many cherished examples out there?

Also dont assume that because it is being sold by a nissan dealer it will be a good car. When i was looking i went to my local HPC to have a nosey and they had at least a dozen used GTRs there and i wouldnt of touched one of them purely on the condition of the bodywork alone.
I know GTRs dont wear their miles very well but theres no excuse when your spending over £50k on a used car.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i was you and if you can i would want my money back and walk away from it. There is no way i could sleep at night knowing i had spent £50+k on a car that had had all kinds if body repairs and a major mechanical failure at that age with so few miles on the clock. It obviously hasnt been looked after and is a complete dog. Why buy it when there are many cherished examples out there?

Also dont assume that because it is being sold by a nissan dealer it will be a good car. When i was looking i went to my local HPC to have a nosey and they had at least a dozen used GTRs there and i wouldnt of touched one of them purely on the condition of the bodywork alone.
I know GTRs dont wear their miles very well but theres no excuse when your spending over £50k on a used car.
I totally agree, the main area of concern for many including myself is the gearbox and bodywork. If the gearbox is brand new I'm told it should be faultless from this point forwards. The miles are good and the car has full nhpc history so said the right things there. Any car could be a worry. I'm spending today looking at alternatives

·
R35 Section manager
11,357 Posts
Sorry to read this mate. I recall chatting to you when you were looking for your 2009 car.

You would be very lucky to get a clean car back from Nissan but to be honest its better to clean it yourself and do it right! Had the same issue from dealer in Tunbridge wells

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Possible alternatives to the gtr I am considering are as follows.

Tesla Roadster - circa £70k
Jaguar F Type coupe V6S £65k
A Shelby GT500 Elanore circa £70k
GTR again circa £52k

The car is supposed to be a weekend toy as I already have a co car to drive.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well they now have my poor CS report too. I really can't decide if i should keep the car or not. I have invested in parts for the car (carbon wing, Y pipe, set of MPSS, carbon engine cover, reverse camera, mats, and various other things that would be useless on any other car. One side of me says to let them replace the gearbox knowing its the weakest part and will be completely new, the other side of me says to run and buy something else altogether. This isn't my first GTR after all. I just don't feel that there are any real alternatives to consider for under £60k.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Walk away, and there is a lesson to be learned by everyone seeking a GTR or any other car for that matter......
Inspect car properly!!!!!! Do not view car when wet or if dirty, after all you are spending 50k think part of it is that you did not inspect it right, with the gear box issue I would just demand my money back, sounds like you have got a lemon.

Bobby

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience!

Just wanted to chime in and say. If you are after a weekend toy I'd skip the Tesla. Its a gen 1 car. Give them another round and look again. By all means drive one. But don't let that instant torque get the better of you. Examine the interior, aside from the touch ui the rest is pretty sub par for the price range of car.

I'd say its more of a sporty family saloon vs a weekend driving experience.

Just my 2c on you listed options.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to hear about your experience!

Just wanted to chime in and say. If you are after a weekend toy I'd skip the Tesla. Its a gen 1 car. Give them another round and look again. By all means drive one. But don't let that instant torque get the better of you. Examine the interior, aside from the touch ui the rest is pretty sub par for the price range of car.

I'd say its more of a sporty family saloon vs a weekend driving experience.

Just my 2c on you listed options.
i drove a model S last week and agree. I was actually considering the Roadster Sport though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i was going to buy my original R35 from them but as they were totally crap i decided to go to Ancasters instead, my only other dealing with them was getting my misty headlights replaced under warranty which was a bloody nightmare, took them 2 weeks to get approval, then after i drove 50miles to get the new ones fitted they said oops we forgot to book it in, and could i come back. they are totally incompetent and should have their NHPC status revoked and stick to micra's

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Not a surprise with this dealership.

Worst people I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Every time I hear their cringe-worthy ad jingle on the radio I have to switch stations quickly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.