GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched but cannot find the answer - so the question will a failing alternator be seen from the voltmeter on the dash. I have an R32 GTR and guess the left hand gauge is showing the charging of the Alternator. Reason I ask is it seems that my battery is no longer charging properly.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The gauge should show whether the battery is receiving charge.
when you turn the ignition on it should show battery voltage and then when the engines running it should go upto what the alternator is putting in.

Really the best way to test it thought is with a multimeter...

When i see you tomorrow night, if it's any help, i have the paperback full r32 workshop manual i bought from OZ which you can borrow and it has all the fault finding flow charts etc etc

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've searched but cannot find the answer - so the question will a failing alternator be seen from the voltmeter on the dash. I have an R32 GTR and guess the left hand gauge is showing the charging of the Alternator. Reason I ask is it seems that my battery is no longer charging properly.
With the ignition on and engine off, it will show battery voltage which should be ~11.8V. When the engine is running it will show the alternator voltage which should be between 13.5V and 14.0V. If the alternator voltage is too low, then check the drive belt is not loose or worn. If the voltage is too high at higher engine RPM then that means the voltage regulator has failed.

Simon.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
My volts dial showed when my brushes worn out and the battery was running out of juice.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys, Cheers Paul, would be great if I could borrow the manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts