GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is booked in to be wrapped (once the thing arrives!). In the meantime I have been looking in to getting insurance sorted etc. Except I have hit a bit of an issue and just wondered how others have faired.

I have another car insured through a broker with Groupama, so went to get a quote from them, it was competitive, until I told them it was going to be wrapped. Apparently, Groupama won't accept any wrapped vehicle and it would void the insurance.

So, on the hunt for insurance now. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
How odd! Have you tried A-Plan? Always been good for me, but my car isn't wrapped.

·
Registered
140 Posts
a-plan were useless when i got my GTR was forced to move when tried to amend insurance to GTR from spec c subaru, wouldnt waste your time

·
Registered
690 Posts
My car is booked in to be wrapped (once the thing arrives!). In the meantime I have been looking in to getting insurance sorted etc. Except I have hit a bit of an issue and just wondered how others have faired.

I have another car insured through a broker with Groupama, so went to get a quote from them, it was competitive, until I told them it was going to be wrapped. Apparently, Groupama won't accept any wrapped vehicle and it would void the insurance.

So, on the hunt for insurance now. Has anyone else had this issue?
Very strange. I can understand them not wanting to cover the wrapping or any damage to the paintwork during the process of wrapping/unwrapping but to decline to quote?? I wonder how they feel abouut paint protection film??

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Maybe they thought you were changing professions, and was planning on becoming a rapper! :chuckle:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe they thought you were changing professions, and was planning on becoming a rapper! :chuckle:
:chuckle:

I have no idea why it would be a problem though, strange!

Wildrover said:
Wrapping why - noway I would want my beautiful; DMG GTR to look like a purple piece of ****.
For the hell of it really. Wrapping allows me to do something I wouldn't want to do via a respray and it can always be easily reversed.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does it have anything to do with the potential mismatch between the colour of the car and the description on the V5?
Not sure...

This whole thing got me wondering about that too! What about the old bill as well...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still having trouble finding an insurance company willing to insure a wrapped car for a sensible price.

Those guys out there with wrapped cars, who are you using for insurance?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Admiral insurance with Multi Car options so much cheaper and overall great service.

Wrapping is common to protect the paintwork, but more importantly for Marketing and Advertising the company services etc etc, so am amazed that you are having problems. Have you simply explained that you are protecting the paintwork. In anycase, wrapping does not require the DVLA to be notified as this is seen as a temporary change.

·
Registered
690 Posts
What - even if you fundamentally change the colour like David's Godzilla?
Yep. It's classed as temporary and should the car be pulled it is very easy to locate its true colour. I'm still at odds as to why any Insurer should be unwilling to cover a wrapped car though!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Very easy ? I thought the wraps went into all the shut lines and reveals etc to look a proper job?

I suspect that it may be a slightly grey area with the local plods who still don't seem to understand the laws relating to window tinting and mis-spaced number plates either!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Car Wrapping is seen as a temp change and does not require any V5 change. Insurance company will not insure the cost of wrapping, but it does not effect the policy as it is not seen as a modification.

My car will be in Lambo Orange and is going to be done when the car arrives at the end of the month and will be done by Creative-FX in Bromley (who did Buttons GT-R in Matte Black) Also having Millitek Y-Pipe and MCR Light Loom.

Going to take the family to NY for a few weeks (if we can get out on BA) and will pick car when back so will post some pics ok.

Peace

AJ

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yeah I am quite excited and Sean @ Creative-FX is a top man with some great ideas. David Yu also had his done there and the results are amazing.

Heres to the 12 April......

Peace

AJ

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Im sure the OP's wrap got better praise than Jenson Buttons in terms of quality of film and the fitting itself.

Dont be fooled by the (we have done this persons and we have done that) at the end of the day the job is only as good as the tools used and the skill of the person using them.

Robbie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have spoke to Sean from CFX about this in the past. There was an agreement that the car could not be featured for publicity. Client confidentiality and all that. They have many celebrity and particularly racing driver clients who request this. I have seen the car being wrapped in their workshop and the quality was fabulous. They have wrapped several vehicles for me now from my Subaru Impreza and GTR to my clients Ferrari F40, , McLaren SLR , Porsche GT3RS and in July a Bugatti Veyron. I will also request no publicity for these cars as the clients do not wish for it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts