GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No.......nothing to do with music.

I get my new sausage in january and thought I'd get it wrapped since in the main the std colours are too tame.

Your thoughts please, any pics would be cool too.

I'm leaning towards orange, a la GT3RS or the Viper green maybe but open to suggestions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i am also considering orange. not sure if matt or not..
the zele orange (painted and glossy) looks amazing..
havent seen orange wrap on a gtr, found some pics of a matt M3 online.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a picture somewhere on the web of an "lambo" orange pearl GTR but this is gonna cost about 4k. It's a special painted wrap from the US. Too expensive for a wrap i think.

Search "orange GTR" and you get the pic.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
David, do you really believe that the wrap is going to preserve the paintwork? I mean, the paintwork is so thin on the GT-R, I am very concerned about the glue of the wrap completely ruining it, especially if you keep the wrap on the car for more than a few months... but I wish I am wrong as I really would like to wrap mine too.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
David, do you really believe that the wrap is going to preserve the paintwork? I mean, the paintwork is so thin on the GT-R, I am very concerned about the glue of the wrap completely ruining it, especially if you keep the wrap on the car for more than a few months... but I wish I am wrong as I really would like to wrap mine too.
LOL! Of course it will

a) protect the paintwork quite well once on. My one is a two layer wrap, the metallic purple coloured layer then a clear film. It is similar to (though not quite as tough as) Paintshield/Ventureshield paint protection film.

b) Come off without any visible effects. The cars on the Gumball I referred to included Veyrons, SLRs, Ferraris and Lambos. Do you think the owners would agree to any procedure that would damage their paintwork? Ferrari paintwork is massively softer and thinner than the GT-R's by the way...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm also seriously considering wrapping my GT-R at some point (don't have the car yet, so nothing that will happen very soon), but the problem I have is that I don't know of any company outside UK that does it. For obvious reasons (I live in Croatia) going to UK to have the car wrapped is bit excessive, but Germany is not a problem...

Anyone from Germany, Italy, Austria, etc. that knows some good wrapper in their respective country?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
b) Come off without any visible effects. The cars on the Gumball I referred to included Veyrons, SLRs, Ferraris and Lambos. Do you think the owners would agree to any procedure that would damage their paintwork? Ferrari paintwork is massively softer and thinner than the GT-R's by the way...
Their wraps are on for a week or so before being removed. The longer the wrap is on the more it's likely to damage paint. I've heard of several people who had wraps removed after long periods and it peeled away substantial amounts of paint, requiring resprays.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Their wraps are on for a week or so before being removed. The longer the wrap is on the more it's likely to damage paint. I've heard of several people who had wraps removed after long periods and it peeled away substantial amounts of paint, requiring resprays.
Very true and have been told the same by a couple of wrap companies I've spoken to.

Hope all is well Guy? Certainly been a while! :)

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
It depends on how you remove it....if lets say removed on a cold day with the wrong technic,it will damage your paintwork......i removed a complete wrap of a customers car last year,im my friend paintshop(in the spraybooth @ 40 degree).....easy to remove and no damage at all,was on for more then 3 years;)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
It depends on how you remove it....if lets say removed on a cold day with the wrong technic,it will damage your paintwork......i removed a complete wrap of a customers car last year,im my friend paintshop(in the spraybooth @ 40 degree).....easy to remove and no damage at all,was on for more then 3 years;)
Your right, the treatment at removal makes a huge difference, as does the quality of the film used.

The main point I guess I was trying to make is that there is almost always some difference between what the person selling you the product promises when you are buying and the truth that is usually discovered much later, when the money has already been spent.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you want to remove vinyl wrap, use a hairdryer and pick small patches off at a time. Any adhesive residue can be removed with XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX sorry, if i told you that, an entire industry would be put out of business :) All im saying is its simple stuff.

Vinyl wrap comes off easily and does not effect your body work if done properly. Like i said in an earlier thread, The actual material is very cheap so dont be fooled by people claiming to use "painted vinyl" of other "special" processes which bump the price up. The actual "high cost" comes from the labour part of it.

Word of warning, as the Nissan GT-R marketing keeps telling us, its cool not to fit in, however there is a line and garish colour schemes and animal print well and truly cross it. For the sake of the GT-R community, dont be a wally. Im sick of getting comments such as "........Your a GT-R man, i was passed on the motorway by a chromed one the other day. Do all Nissan drivers have such bad taste?"

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm also seriously considering wrapping my GT-R at some point (don't have the car yet, so nothing that will happen very soon), but the problem I have is that I don't know of any company outside UK that does it. For obvious reasons (I live in Croatia) going to UK to have the car wrapped is bit excessive, but Germany is not a problem...

Anyone from Germany, Italy, Austria, etc. that knows some good wrapper in their respective country?
Had my black one wrapped in matt black by "Bigbrake" Send him a mail : [email protected]
Here is his company`s website: APP
Here you find some pics before and after: http://gallery.me.com/wkrueger#100261

1 - 20 of 124 Posts