GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys-
Does anyone know why my left headlight has turned the color red/pink? I thought these headlight systems were never supposed to burn out? Any ideas.
H.

·
Registered
133 Posts
XENON HEAD LAMP

the bulb will die soon.....it happened to my car once.

the cause is that when you use a high pressure water gun to wash your car and you sprayed directly to the left headlights when the lights were still ON......

i spent $200 GBP to buy 2 new xenon bulbs afterwords.

if you are to buy 2 new ones, try the 6000k ones (by phillip)....they look much better than the stock ones and they're about the same price.

michael.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
I heard that xenons usually last a very long time but its actually the number of times they are turned on or off that determines their life span....not sure if this is true or not:confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it might have something to do with the temp. here as of late. It has been down in the -5 to -30 deg. Cel. for about 4 days now. I don't remember directly aiming down there with headlights on, because of my air filters, but who knows.
H.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Michael,

I don't think it's possible for water to reach the Xenon bulb, it's too well encased. Are you definitely talking about the Xenon HID bulbs as the picture below? I thought there was only one direct replacement for this DS2 35W..... Where did you get the Phillip's ones from if they are Xenon HID bulbs?

Thanks.

Peter.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been a bit too cold to be messin with it as of yet. But I will pull them out soon to see what they look like. Keith owned car before hand and said it had a head light system replacement with some sort of newer kit, that were brighter. I will pull bulb soon and see if I get replacement here, or I'll be needin someone to get one in the UK.
H.

·
Registered
133 Posts
bulb

hello peter,

1. not 100% sure how the water gets onto the bulb but when the light started to turn purple/pink later i took the bulb out and had a look at it.

the glass part of the bulb was bent.....dunno how it'd turn out like that tho.....you can still see the purple/pink light if you plug the bulb back in.....but the color is very annoying so i decided to buy a pair of new ones instead.

2. phillips & bellof (jap. brand) makes 6000k Xenon HID bulbs for a lot of cars in the market including the R33 Vspec. with original xenon lights.

the ones that i'm using are from phillips also but they're 4100k i believe....not as sparkling white as the 6000k ones...

the broken one is from panasonic.

i can check the price of the 6000k ones for you if you're interested.

They're just too nice........!!!!!!!!!!

michael.

·
Registered
133 Posts
bulbs

cont'd......

my old bulbs (panasonic) are more blue/white in color

my current bulbs (phillips) are more bright/white in color

6000k (phillips) are icy/white in color - kinda difficult to see the road if there's snow

hope it helps....

and US_98_Vspec_R33, if you'd like to buy my 8 months old phillips xenon bulbs, i can sell them to you.

send me a PM if interested.

michael.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey guys-
The one I have here is a Panasonic D2S-35W that is burning out. Also, I don't know if you guys have ever noticed how the light emitted is itself knotched, with the light being sent farther down the road on the left side of the car, than the right. My problem is that I'm in the states and I'm blinding oncoming traffic, while I can't see down the side of the road for potential animals( I do live in an area with much deer, antelope, and sometimes the occasional bear that wanders out in the road) or other obstructions. Any way to correct it for our driving situation, or do I need to replace the entire headlight assembly?

H.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
US_98_Vspec_R33 ....One ex GTR owner of the forum, redback911(Dan), had to register his R34 in Belgium and managed to solve the problem you have by fitting other xenon bulbs from a Mitsubishi, I believe it was a Galant. Not sure if the same could be done to an R33 but you might as well ask Dan for help as he sorted it out for his car.
Im not sure if any adjustments can be made to the standard RHD bulbs to make the light focus in the other direction...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same thing happened to me a week ago, my headlight (right side) went pink, then progressivley redder and redder..

I have ordered 2 x OSRAM Xenarc D2S-35W globes (not that many brands to choose from here in OZ, and a number of them tried to convince me that the Halogen Blue type bulbs would be the ones i would need).

To take out the bulb i had to remove the washer bottle (or air box as appropriate) remove the Torx screw (T-02 i think) take the cover off. Push and twist the silver connector (i ended up breaking the old bulb trying to work it out :-( ) and then release the push the ends of the metal wire clip together and unlatch. Remove the bulb.

Installation is reversed.

Hope that helps..

·
Registered
19 Posts
no thankfully not, luckily i found a place in sydney that could get the osram ones for $148 each ( i ordered 2, going to replace both at the same time) the only worry is that they are so cheap, i hope they are the right type ;-)

Next time i am in the UK i owe you a beer!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well d2S is not avail. here in the states, but Infiniti(nissans' luxury line) does have a similar bulb -D2R- in their i30 line. Just notched a hair differently. Popped it in, and seems to work just fine. Cost about 200 dollars-US. Not easy to put in, but I can see the base of the bulb itself is made a little stronger, wrapping the base with a metal band. My old one was cracked slightly at base. BIG RECOMMENDATION-- I think the seal is good on back of headlights of skyline, BUT if you put high pressure water directly at seal, I think water may get into housing. This might be what happened to me. don't remember if I did, but for 200 dollars, its not worth experimenting with.
H.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i think the ones that i'm using are D2R.....the diff. between the two is that one has a shield around the bulb and one doesn't........

dat's why my previous bulbs were more purple/white and the new one is just plain white.....

D2S is nicer in color but D2R is brighter & whiter......
and they both work on R33.

michael.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The new bulbs arrived today, so i replaced the blown one. Works perfectly!

Only slight issue was aligning the bulb with the hole, there is a little key at the top of the bulb, after i worked that out it was easy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
level

I have talked with a coworker who was part of the research team way back when, that did most of the testing on Xenon gas and it's application to commercial use lighting. He said one of the main things about the way the bulb has to be set up is being kept level. You'll notice the small bulb within the glass tube, that is the area filled with xenon gas and is set up to keep heat levels low on the ends, where the wires enter the gas area. If bulb is tested outside of housing and is set more that about 5 degrees from level, the life of that bulb is demissed. By half for every sec. it sits past 30 degrees from level. In the early stages of development, if set on it's end, time could be counted in Miliseconds! FYI :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts