GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not on a Skyline but on my wifes car. Its a BMW E46 330 Convertible factory fitted with Xenon headlights, I've just noticed that the drivers side headlight has now gone a purply colour, someone has suggested that the bulb needs replacing because the gas in the bulb is now finished, is that right?? We have had the car now for about 18 months, everything was fine untill last night when I noticed the difference in the colour of the headlights, they are the projector type lights. Can anyone shed any light (pardon the pun) on this.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think the bulb is dead but it's strange as they last longer than 18 months. This sounds more like a manufacturing defect not to be confused with the usual HID colourshift.

Usually HID bulbs colourshift after a few hundred hours of operation especially the Philips 85122 ones which are chosen by most european OEMS. They have now been replaced by the 85122+ which apparently don't colourshift.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
The capsules apparently do go. I know people who've gone through a couple and general consensus is that the Philips ones last much longer than the cheapo ones.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Swop the bulbs and see if the fault swaps too? That'll prove if it's the bulb.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, just ordered 2 new bulbs, in case the other one colour changes too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts