GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The XS Power manifolds for fitting bigger singles to the RB, I can imagine, due to the low price are not that good. What would be required to bring them up to scratch. I know they are prone to cracking at the welds, so re-welding the welds and making them stronger needs to be done. What other area's require work, needing done to them??

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I suppose it'd also depend on the alloy of the tubing, if that's up to scratch or not. It would be good if it's cheap and heavy, but strong, but not so good if the cheapness comes from a weaker metal.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'd look at 6boost if I was you, pricing is not that much more than the xs stuff.
Search SAU for many happy endings :D

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Yeah - I believe the problem with things like XS Power manifolds is the grade of steel they are made from, one of the reasons they are so cheap is the better steel costs more. There isn't much you can do to get around the fact that the whole thing is made of cheap steel, unfortunately.

+1 for 6boost manifold from Oz, by far the best quality for price I am aware of!

·
Registered
411 Posts
a few people using them said that they cracked early because the exhaust port mating surface wasnt flat towards the back of the engine, so when the bolts were tightened down, it put a strain on it and made it more prone to cracking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
every xs power manifold ive come across has had problems, although ive never actually seen them on an rb26. the rb25det ones are absolute crap as well as evo etc.

I have nothing against cheap components, but these manifolds just dont seem to be up to scratch

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I use one on mine. I got 584/680nm at all 4hubs.

2 problems i had:

1: Flange against the head needed to be skimmed.
2: Holes that are for the wg was alot tighter than the pipe itself, it resulted in boostcreep.

Sorted these out and never had a problem.

If you check these things before putting it on the engine you are safe.

Ive run mine for about 3years now :)

Asim

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Whats with the RIPS Manifolds? Doesn't Rob sell them separately? They look nice!

All this XS Power Stuff is like playing lottery for me. Sometimes they hold up, sometimes they don't. You could always cut the flange between the actual cylinder flanges to get better sealing on the head.

The tube used is almost always some cheapo stuff and the weld is.. welded, but not like it should be. Wrong Material, Wrong filler, bad penetration ( :chuckle: ) etc. etc.

It's a general problem I think. The good stuff costs a lot, the bad stuff is cheap/inexpensive and there's nothing inbetween.

Marc

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
every xs power manifold ive come across has had problems, although ive never actually seen them on an rb26. the rb25det ones are absolute crap as well as evo etc.

I have nothing against cheap components, but these manifolds just dont seem to be up to scratch
As above I can only comment on the RB25 but they are not highly rated at all. The reason they are so cheap is due to the low grade material they use. If I were you I would look elsewhere!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Don't do it. I still run one, but it has cracked twice and the manifold flange has warped twice. I run a 4094 turbo and can't set the boost at 1.6 (good thing I don't) as boost creep is inevitable on high hp cars...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Don't do it. I still run one, but it has cracked twice and the manifold flange has warped twice. I run a 4094 turbo and can't set the boost at 1.6 (good thing I don't) as boost creep is inevitable on high hp cars...
I run a 4088R turbo. Mine has not cracked, 3rd year running now.
I had the same problem with booscreep. My car boosted 1.8bar even without the wg on :runaway:

Once i had the holes for the wg opend up, i also changed diameter of the pipes to the wg, i got full control on the boos pressure, i got it as low as .6bar.

Compared to the cost of a new HKS / GREDDY etc im happy with the outcome :)

Asim

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Whats with the RIPS Manifolds? Doesn't Rob sell them separately? They look nice!

Marc
I can do them seperate as long as we can jig up with the same turbo/wastegate you want to use to ensure a perfect fit.

Its a big job to properly jig up everything on an engine, in an engine bay and we only use high quality materials, alot of hours, extreemly fussy merging of collectors and carefull integration of wastegate pipe/s.

No problems with cracks over many years.

Rob

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Yeah have seen an early (?? Bradyz one was the first of yours I saw anyway) RIPS manifold used on various turbo setups and never had any problems, looked awesome and the note the car took on was awesome :D

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Why dont you just keep your HKS one? i had the pleasure of looking over a second hand XS power manifold and the quality was shocking! not 1 flange straight and even some of the bends wernt lined up properly before welding so cant see the flow was great!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thinking of buying an XS Power manifold and just experiment with it but it looks like its not worth it as the flow is not too good and so on.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Another problem not mentioned here .
Small metal pieces, weld bead etc loosen and hit the turbine wheel , usually damaging it ( and destroying the turbo primarily because of unbalance) .
I probably have at least 20 Garrett turbos damaged because of these cheap SSA Chinese manifolds .
Some ppl don t understand why their turbos are getting damaged .
Talked to a customer last week . 2 turbos destroyed in a short span of time .
Told him about this , and sure enough turbine wheels damaged by particles on both turbos , and a cheap Chinese manifold beiing used .

·
Registered
858 Posts
Another problem not mentioned here .
Small metal pieces, weld bead etc loosen and hit the turbine wheel , usually damaging it ( and destroying the turbo primarily because of unbalance) .
I probably have at least 20 Garrett turbos damaged because of these cheap SSA Chinese manifolds .
Some ppl don t understand why their turbos are getting damaged .
Talked to a customer last week . 2 turbos destroyed in a short span of time .
Told him about this , and sure enough turbine wheels damaged by particles on both turbos , and a cheap Chinese manifold beiing used .
This is exactly what happened to my MR2 Turbo 5 mins after fitting an XS-Power manifold. Needless to say I am not a fan. Cast flanges that aren't flat, shitty welding, weld spatter that comes off and the design of the MR2 dump pipe didn't allow the wastegate to fully open.
I contacted 'XS-Power' a number of times by emails as at the time they didn't give a phone number. They just ignored everything I sent - I even tried emailing an enquiry from a friends account at the same time as one of my emails, he got a reply straight away and mine was again ignored. Do we really want to deal with people like that?!

I bought thinking the same thing as you Pupsi, that they were cheap and I would see what they were like. I learned the hard way exactly what they are like and would not let one near any of my cars again.

Maybe if you buy one knowing they are gash and have the flanges remachined, welding redone / cleaned up, and brace it you might stand a chance, but personally I'll just make sure I buy parts that are properly built and finished next time.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Best to keep away from them then. I was thinking along the lines of buying one and re-welding it and basicly make it useable, by the time I've done that and the expense of doing it, I could have bought a decent one in the first place.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Had one once for my RB25DET and prior to fitment it needed about £120 of machining just to ensure a safe, reliable fitment. The manifold did hold but once it came off it couldn't be reused without more work to it. Lots of stress fractures even along the rewelded parts and there didn't look like enough material left on the flange to be machined off for a flat edge.

So, plumped for the 6Boost item and although that too needed a little work for the fitment of the wastegate it is without a doubt, a top piece of kit. Talking thick walls for the pipework so I would be surprised if they ever cracked.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts