GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ooo Matron !
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MY10 GTR is standard, so today I had a non-silenced Y-pipe fitted.

It does make a different noise, more throaty and a deeper sound, but not much more in the way of volume. Was I expecting too much do you think ? I must say I was expecting it to be louder, so it would annoy the neighboroughs.

But I suppose I've not really changed that more of the exhaust now I come to think about it.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Get yourself some decat downpipes and an unsilenced rear section. That'll sort it out :cool:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I feel exactly the same. My car came with the Y-pipe already fitted and I'm not impressed with the sound - I can't imagine how crap it must sound as stock. Coming from a noisy Scoob, it was the only disappointing thing about the GT-R for me.

I've thought about changing more of the exhaust, but going from some of the videos on youtube, the cars still sound uninspiring, just louder!

·
Registered
626 Posts
My 59 plate is stock bar an un-silenced Y-pipe. Personally I love the noise it makes. To be fair, just reving it at a standstill sounds pants, unless she's hot, then just blipping the throttle causes girgles and pops.

Take her to the red line in 2nd and 3rd....... WOW!!

If you're unsure get someone to drive your car on the motorway whilst you're in another car. Drop the windows and just listen and enjoy.

if you just like to free rev go buy an italian V12 :flame:

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm a new MY10 owner, coming from Impreza's for maybe the last 12 years & love the flat 4 burble. But I absolutely love the sound of R35 with Y pipe!
I was on a run to Prodrive in it the other day with some Scooby mates & the R35 was commented on as sounding awesome, especially at motorway speed when I gave it some!!

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
Just buy a Russ Fellows exhaust system and he will tailor it to whatever sound you wish.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I came from a supercharged monaro with a full wortec exhaust along with headers and that was loud! Am waiting until my warranty is out then I will be upgrading my exhaust at Litchfield's I just need to decide what am gonna go for?

·
Ooo Matron !
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been driving now for 2 days with the y-pipe. I think it's better than I first thought it was. When I first had it I was driving with the windows down and I think the wind noise masks it a bit, it actually sounds louder with the windows closed. So maybe it's louder from the outside ?

I'm maybe not quite as disappointed as I first was.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel exactly the same. My car came with the Y-pipe already fitted and I'm not impressed with the sound - I can't imagine how crap it must sound as stock.
Staggeringly crap I'd say.

My last car was an AM Vantage and the exhaust (standard) has a flap which opens at 2.5k and opens up a second chamber in the rear box for extra noise. But you can override it and have it open all the time (which is what everyone does). Now that was loud.

And I also had an Esprit V8. I removed the rear box and just had straight pipes bolted onto the end of the cats. Now that was maybe a bit too loud !

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've been driving now for 2 days with the y-pipe. I think it's better than I first thought it was. When I first had it I was driving with the windows down and I think the wind noise masks it a bit, it actually sounds louder with the windows closed. So maybe it's louder from the outside ?

I'm maybe not quite as disappointed as I first was.
Thats more like it.... its a different sort of loud to most other supercars.

Personally I love it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Staggeringly crap I'd say.

My last car was an AM Vantage and the exhaust (standard) has a flap which opens at 2.5k and opens up a second chamber in the rear box for extra noise. But you can override it and have it open all the time (which is what everyone does). Now that was loud.

And I also had an Esprit V8. I removed the rear box and just had straight pipes bolted onto the end of the cats. Now that was maybe a bit too loud !
I think it's massively unrealistic to expect a turbocharged V6 to have anything like the characterful sound of a V8, especially an Aston, the engineers of which spend a lot of time tuning the sound to get it just right.

When you fit an aftermarket exhaust, the sound does improve a lot at higher revs, where the engine emits a high pitch howl, similar to that of a sports bike.

It ain't ever gonna win any prizes for the noise, but most systems do sound a lot better than stock.

Saying that though, the GTR with an aftermarket system, does sound better than the 911 turbo, which has no character at all, and is the only natural comparison.

Hope that helps.

Mart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts