GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at some Y pipes, and i noticed the milltek comes in both un resonated as well as resonated.

Which is best? will i experience any cabin drone? lots of motorway driving so low drone is best for me!

if anyone has any advice that would be great. cheers!

·
Registered
941 Posts
From what I've read, Milteks drone, unres will just be even more intrusive.
When I spoke to Ian of Litchfields fame, he kindly offered for me to go down and try a few to see which suits me best. Unfortunately I haven't had time to do it yet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've read, Milteks drone, unres will just be even more intrusive.
When I spoke to Ian of Litchfields fame, he kindly offered for me to go down and try a few to see which suits me best. Unfortunately I haven't had time to do it yet.
My VAG cars have always droned with milltek. thought they might be better on GTR.. apparently not! haha

would you recommend any other brands?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I spend a lot of time on motorways, and went from a non-res (though non-Milltec) y-pipe to a resonated (still not Milltec) pipe which was much better. However neither were as good as a full exhaust (which I have now). I now have a non-res y-pipe and custom rear section and it has minimal drone but sounds good when giving it the beans. Best compromise for me.

My old resonated y-pipe is for sale if you're interested - it would be a lot cheaper than a new one of any description! If I was doing it all again, however, I'd go straight for a full system, so that might be something to consider. A full exhaust change is not necessarily louder than 'just' changing the y-pipe...

Andrew

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spend a lot of time on motorways, and went from a non-res (though non-Milltec) y-pipe to a resonated (still not Milltec) pipe which was much better. However neither were as good as a full exhaust (which I have now). I now have a non-res y-pipe and custom rear section and it has minimal drone but sounds good when giving it the beans. Best compromise for me.

My old resonated y-pipe is for sale if you're interested - it would be a lot cheaper than a new one of any description! If I was doing it all again, however, I'd go straight for a full system, so that might be something to consider. A full exhaust change is not necessarily louder than 'just' changing the y-pipe...

Andrew
so a full exhaust creates less drone?
what full exhaust do you have? Ive been looking at the valved IPE exhausts..
do you have down pipe etc with your full exhaust?

cheers

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've got a full MeisterR exhaust system but I know a few people that went for just the MeisterR y pipe and it didn't drone at all and that was the non res one!

Also they are great quality!

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
171 Posts
so a full exhaust creates less drone?
In my experience, yes. But it is very dependant on which one you go with - I never found a Y-pipe that didn't produce at least some drone, but I've only had two and there are plenty more than that on the market!

My downpipes are stock, and the exhaust was a custom system that I got from another forum member who was changing to a louder one. If you're looking at going down the full exhaust route I've heard good things about Russ Fellows, unless your wallet is too full of money in which case Akrapovic can help out :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
If your looking for a full exhaust the MeisterR sounds like no other and the quality is second to none! Where abouts are you based as I'm picking my car up next week with downpipes fitted so can give you a demo?

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your looking for a full exhaust the MeisterR sounds like no other and the quality is second to none! Where abouts are you based as I'm picking my car up next week with downpipes fitted so can give you a demo?

Cheers

Jon
Im based down in kent mate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my experience, yes. But it is very dependant on which one you go with - I never found a Y-pipe that didn't produce at least some drone, but I've only had two and there are plenty more than that on the market!

My downpipes are stock, and the exhaust was a custom system that I got from another forum member who was changing to a louder one. If you're looking at going down the full exhaust route I've heard good things about Russ Fellows, unless your wallet is too full of money in which case Akrapovic can help out :)
would any of you guys be able to recommend an exhaust system for me?
no one think i should go for a valved system like iPE or ARYMTRIX?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just called the mobile number attached to their website (meisterR). the guy is telling me they only made 10 exhausts and they aren't making any more or something...
bit confusing.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I've been looking at some Y pipes, and i noticed the milltek comes in both un resonated as well as resonated.

Which is best? will i experience any cabin drone? lots of motorway driving so low drone is best for me!

if anyone has any advice that would be great. cheers!
Lots of threads discussing this on here to research, but to save you searching I've a full Ypipe back Milltek (78mm) and in conjunction with the non res Ypipe I didn't like the drone at all. I swapped to having a resonated fitted and I could then tolerate the drone, whilst it is still there between 2-3K revs in top mainly. So between 50-70 on motorways you will get some.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts