GTR Forum banner

y-pipe choice

3K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  ameen 
#1 ·
milltek
Piper
Japspeed
HKS

Thay all range in price from 250 to 800 ? ? ?

Thanks.

#5 ·
I had mine custom made for about £350.

Sounds pretty awesome. I told the guy at Sub Zero exactly what i wanted ie. loud and raspy and raw.

He made it using 304 stainless (he's done tonnes of them) and for my requirements made the two pipes part of the y-pipe much longer before it merges into 1 which he said will increase the sound and give me what i want.

im very happy with it. Ive got some before vids, and now i just need to take an after vid and then ill show u guys

#17 ·
Iv got a resonated one and its not quiet. Its just right. Wouldnt want it any louder. Your unlikly to get through sound test at track with non res either. Im past that boy racer stage with loads of noise. Plus i like to hear my tunes on the motorway.

#8 ·
If its that modified as to damage your brain you'd be better off changing the full system, not just the y-pipe.
Its not crazy loud, its just loud. I disagree though, i think most people do want something quite loud which matches the GTR as the type of car that it is. The most common modification on GTR's is the y-pipe for that reason.

Over here in Dubai you cant get banned from a track for it being too loud either :)

#9 ·
Just had a non resonated Miltek Y pipe fitted at the optimisation service and its pretty boomy in the mid range in top gear. Sounds great through the gears. I've kept the OEM Y pipe just in case its gets too annoying or if its too loud for track days.

#11 ·
Resonated permits to gain power and sond while keeping reasonable volume... if you don't care making too much noise maybe you care about keeping your ears usefull :) I got a lot of friends who got their audition quite altered by too loud exhaust systems ... same if you use your car for long drives (like an hour or two if not more) ... you might wana keep it "reasonable"

#13 ·
Nope, I like loud things but I'm more one of those driving a GT-R making 1K bhp without having the blonde saying "nope I'm not going in your car it's too loud in there sell this thing please".

I perfectly understand "non resonated" when you keep everything else quite stock or with a restrictive 76mm catback but Full exhaust with Down-pipes is quite enough to get trouble.

My R35 is with a huge resonator and is far from beeing quite, it's just not stupidly loud.
That was before the turbo kit and engine and it's plenty loud enoug: MONSTAKA GT-R35 2011 AT PAUL RICARD - YouTube

#23 ·
Y-pipe is 15hp usualy on an R35.
Y-pipe without resonator is OK and not too loud if you keep the stock down-pipes and catback but if you change both then it's anoter extra db so you want a resonator somewhere and the only place you'll have room for it is the Y-pipe so if you expect to change down-pipes and catback it's better to go straight to one with resonator instead of buying one without and 6 months later want to trade it for a resonated one when you upgrade these other components :)

#29 ·
It depends on your target power, I've installed GTC downpipes with Miltek resonated Y-pipe and stock rear section and the car ran 619bhp / 620lbft (at the crank).

The full Miltek system should flow better than stock rear section, it's good for at least stage 5 at 750bhp.

Anders

#28 · (Edited)
No mate. It's your own choice. You can have a full system with no cats and non res if you wish but it will be loud. Love the sound of the non silenced jdm password exhaust but it is mentally loud lol. The reason that a full aftermarket system say miltek can be quieter than just non res y is that the standard rear section doesn't have much silencing. I believe it's the cats in the oem y that do a lot of the sound deadening. After markets tend to have a bit more on the rear, but not all. When funds permit I'll be gettng the japspeed system. Sounds lovely and no gtr tax ; ) but tha said if I had plenty of cash I do love the full Titan!! Right I'm off hate updating on iPhone l

#32 ·
I'd just make sure you stick with a dual 76mm to 89mm Y-pipe....

As AMS has discussed in a few threads back in the states, running dual 76mm to single 76mm leads to turbulence and backpressure. (AKA- Ebay $300-$500 Specials.)

As far as resonated vs non-resonated, I can appreciate the desire for both.

For me, I want maximum HP gains and like to hear the engine roar, so non-resonated is my preference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.