GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been discussed before but Ive looked at other threads mentioning Y pipes and cant find my answer.

Ive got my car book in for its first service and a Y pipe next week but actually how loud is it?

Its not deafening is it? How is it on the motorway etc?

Thank all! :clap:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
GTC offer resonated Y pipes essential Id say if you plan to upgrade other sections of the exhaust, and value your hearing..

If its just the Y pipe your fitting, Im sure a straight through wont hurt..

Regards

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi sin!

cheers buddy - just wanted to makes sure you could still hear yourself think when your driving around generally.

Sure the other half would be chuffed if i blew her ear drums! lol

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Hi sin!

cheers buddy - just wanted to makes sure you could still hear yourself think when your driving around generally.

Sure the other half would be chuffed if i blew her ear drums! lol
There is a bit of drone at low revs, cruising speeds its ok, not too intrusive. You know where i am if you want to find out for yourself pal. All you need to do is shout.

Middlehurst will fit any pipe that you want, even if u source it yourself. However they do stock the Miltek one.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Pootling round town at 30 (or 33 in 6th) with a y-pipe is quiet.

At 70 in 6th the y-pipe is a bit intrusive. But you just have to go a bit faster or change to 5th.

Must admit i love the sound at idle and under acceleration.

I think the sound system is weak, so even without a y-pipe i'm guessing it's tiring to listen to at length. But i don't find the sound of the y-pipe tiring. Saying that i will probably go for an AMS if i go down the COBB route. It has a switch to alter the sound.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Had my car dropped back from Middlehurst on Friday.
Had it's 1st 6000m service and also ypipe fitted.
Having run the car as stock for 6 months I am really noticing the improved audio.....just what the car needed really.
Top notch service from Middlehursts!
Zele light kits next on my shopping list

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
The Milltek has some drone at 2,500rpm which is unfortunately bang on 70mph. Good excuse to speed then!
Not intrusive at any other rpm IMO and sounds so much better than stock.

However if you're a track day regular, beware the static noise level has gone up on my car from 83db to 100db which is borderline for some tracks and very, very borderline at, for example, Bedford Autodrome which has 3 drive-by mics around the circuit.

As already said, if the y-pipe is all you intend to fit, it should be fine, but if you're planning on adding a cat-back exhaust at a later date, it will be noisier still.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.