GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have already made up my mind after giving it a lot of thought and booked my car in for its 1st service and a Y-pipe.

Now my thoughts are should I cancel the Y-pipe from the dealer saying I'm having second thoughts about my warranty with the part fitted bla bla, then buy one and fit it myself so I can remove before every service and the HPC's will be non the wiser. Opinions?

I understand the cars data recorder will notice a boost increase, record high temps and a track driving pattern etc but can it detect the drop in back pressure and resulting richer fueling(y-pipe)?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
522 Posts
I too had concerns so fitted the pipe myself but couldnt be arsed when it came to service time to change it back over and the HPC havent mentioned it. Just passed the 12k service and (other than cracked front discs so obviously not relating to y-pipe) all is good after 12k miles of what can only be described as pure unadulterated ear candy!

Held up the traffic and gave it the beans at the Goodwood entrance tunnel . . windows down and knew it was money well spent with all the thumbs up and big grins. :clap::thumbsup: . . Also, when passing a scuderia which sounded like a beast I was glad my car finally sounded as it looks too.

If you dont do it now then it's only a matter of time. Sorry I cant be more help with the data logging and boost pressures but I havent experienced any issues yet and havent heard of any directly relating to warranty parts impacted by a y-pipe change.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Guys, really your own call but trust me, the boost gains if any will be so minimal no HPC will be able to void any warrantee claims on that basis. As our wise mod Robbie said once: Live a little

·
Registered
376 Posts
Now my thoughts are should I cancel the Y-pipe from the dealer saying I'm having second thoughts about my warranty with the part fitted bla bla, then buy one and fit it myself so I can remove before every service and the HPC's will be non the wiser. Opinions?
:D You won't regret the y-pipe, realisticaly if your exhaust falls off then the HPC will probably say its your problem - but even then its not a cut and dried situation - as I've said before there's no such thing as an instantly voided warranty - it has to be shown that the mod you made caused the problem :thumbsup:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Don't forget to declare the pipe to your insurer too. I was a bit worried that it'd cost as much as the pipe itself but it was only 10 squid

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Y-pipe is the best single mod I think you can do! It sounds like it should have sounded from the factory, ****in georgeous!!!

Just do it. My dealer changed it for me and said there is no problem at all with the warranty. Some are anal about any mods though. Where in the country are yhou?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am having a Miltek Y Pipe fitted from new - March 2010.

My HPC assures me that it will not invalidate the warranty on the rest of the car. Checked with my future insurer and he says that a Y Pipe is within the scope of standard insurance.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm near Doncaster so my nearest HPC's are Marshall and Middlehurst. The latter are the HPC that didn't inspire too much confidence when I asked about their position on a y-pipe'd car with a drivetrain problem. I'm not wanting to be too paranoid about it but unlike apc they didnt' assure me that it doesn't invalidate the rest of the cars w*****ty.

Going to get it fitted elsewhere and remove when the car goes for servicing. Can't wait to get it though.

Insurance shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm not wanting to be too paranoid about it but unlike apc they didnt' assure me that it doesn't invalidate the rest of the cars w*****ty.

Insurance shouldn't be a problem.
Depends who you speak with. Speak to the main man - he is the one making the decisions on warranty claims.

I am very careful about warranty on a car of this complexity and satisfied that an HPC fitted Miltek is just fine for warranty purposes.

Insurance is definitely not an issue for me at least - my forthcoming policy actually allows for quite a bit of lattitude.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's with the wait apc? March 2010 sounds so far away, isn't there any cancelations you could get?

·
Registered
199 Posts
What's with the wait apc? March 2010 sounds so far away, isn't there any cancelations you could get?
Yep - choice of cancellations, but decided for March 2010 delivery for reasons including but not limited to:

1. New 2010 spec.
2. 2010 book value
3. New reg in March
4. Nicer to take delivery of new car in Spring rather than Winter
5. Still paying current price and 15% VAT

There are other reasons but those will suffice for now :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point about the winter actually as you can't explore half the grip this car has now :( I'm not using it much now only in the dry as it isn't much fun in the wet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts