GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have the chance to get a Y Pipe, what are your thoughts? And what are the benefits, does this make the car loud? Any help please guys.

·
Administrator
31,601 Posts
Definitely worth doing a search, one of the oldest and most popular R35 conversation topics. But people will hopefully still answer with some feedback.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had them on all my R35's. Not too loud, gives a nice noise (especially in R mode) and makes the car sound as it should have when leaving the factory.
2 types available - Resonated and non-resonated. Non-res is louder as resonated has a silencer.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Neither are intrusively loud and the resonated might not even make much difference to you. The non-res is worth going for , in my opinion, as it'll give you some noise at the higher revs. It's not loud loud though

·
Ooo Matron !
2,150 Posts
I'm know I am in the minority, but I couldn't tell any real difference.

I had a non-resonated one fitted to mine and was highly disappointed with the change in sound. The first time I fired the car up, the first thing that went through my mind was "is that it ?".

I just don't understand why everyone else thinks it makes a difference really.

So a) I replaced it with an un-silenced Russ Fellows exhaust. Now you can certainly hear that !

And b) anyone want to buy an SVM y-pipe, hardly used ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have one, to be honest it is not loud enough. It came on the car, if you want more noise go straight for a system. If I had paid for Y-pipe I would have been disappointed.

As mentioned above you hear it more at higher revs.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I previously had just Y Pipe and it wasn't loud enough IMHO.

This week went full Litchfield 102 with downpipes - sounds great - not too boomy at motorway speeds but really opens up when you floor it. Yup you'll need a friendly MOT or just time your service to coincide with MOT so let them take care it it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you swap your down pipes and y pipe keep your old y pipe just for mot's it's an easy swap only 6 bolts and about 30 mins once a year.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well guys I have done it, I bought an Akrapovic Y pipe, should receive it in a few days. Does it actually give a bit more power or is that a bit of hope and glory?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
The one off Ebay ? good price if so - only problem im sure they are 90mm - joining it to a stock rear may be tricky trying to get it to seal if it even fits

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm know I am in the minority, but I couldn't tell any real difference.

I had a non-resonated one fitted to mine and was highly disappointed with the change in sound. The first time I fired the car up, the first thing that went through my mind was "is that it ?".

I just don't understand why everyone else thinks it makes a difference really.

So a) I replaced it with an un-silenced Russ Fellows exhaust. Now you can certainly hear that !

And b) anyone want to buy an SVM y-pipe, hardly used ?
Hi How much is the Y pipe going for?
thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The one off Ebay ? good price if so - only problem im sure they are 90mm - joining it to a stock rear may be tricky trying to get it to seal if it even fits

So what your saying is i am pretty much screwed then? no way round it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts