GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I were chuffed to bits a tad rich but nothing to worry about, that were at 1.7 bar. Last night my bloody engine blew up :mad: big clouds of smoke i think i have blown a piston as there is fuel in the sump and it blows out on idle, oh and its on 5 pots. Not that angry to be honest as i were gonna rebuild it anyway just hope it will fix with a rebore and a set of over size pistons. I will port the head out whilst im at it and get a good set of cams in there, hopefully then i will see another 100 brake at the wheels with a remap. Oh the joys of owning a modded car.

So head off in next few days, am i right in saying the bottom end will only come down with the subframe?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has greddy t78 turbo kit, huge intercooler injectors fuel pumps etc, fcon gold ecu, i know all thats there because i can see it, it apparently had uprated rods pistons etc, i dont know who mapped it i simply gave it a power run to check fuel and power. Only covered 300 miles since i bought it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
So head off in next few days, am i right in saying the bottom end will only come down with the subframe?
engine out buddy

ouch ...sounds a bit tough after 300 miles of ownership:nervous:

1.7 bar is quite some puff

i like your open minded optimism though:thumbsup:

kev

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
this is why i bought one cheap with an engine knock and getting it rebuilt at tr i was worried about spending 8 - 10k and it blowing up.

i hope its not too bad for you once you get the engine apart.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Could it have been something as simple some bad fuel in the engine that caused the blow.

I know that there are some rogue tuners out there aswell as a hell of alot of extremely good tuners,but sometimes its not their fault and something as simple as a bad batch of fuel from the petrol station can do untold damage when giving it some beans on the road.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It really is no problem, i bought it second hand not knowing how many miles it has done but i always had full intention of rebuilding it, i have no idea where it was mapped or when it was built, it has all the supporting mods around the block for 700+bhp so i aint too fussed about spending a couple of grand on some pistons a rebore etc. I will have well under 10k init once rebuilt.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
589whp...wow. at what RPM was full boost in by? Just wondering what kind of turbo lag your setup had.

true, once all the supporting mods are done, if you blow something in the block it's not that horrifically expensive to get it rebuilt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was about 7100 rpm the lag is quite bad but it still pulls ok midrange, comes on strong at 5000 rpm.

I also have/had 455 lb/ft torque, once rebuilt and ported im hoping for quite a bit more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plus i will be carrying all the work out myself as always so no labour costs, i have seen some .5 wiseco pistons for £600, £90 for a rebore, set of shells are what £100? new timing belt top quality head gasket and i will port my own head so it will be flowing better. Obviously i will be fitting arp rod bolts and will get bottom end balanced. Looking forward to getting stuck in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.