GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my '97 GTR on Friday... have not stopped smiling since!
BUT is it a "V-Spec"? Not that this will make any difference to the smile. The car's rear Diff casing has "fins". But no A-LSD light on Tacho-could it be because dials have been converted to "mph" set? But then that should not affect the Tacho. Also no "V-Spec" badge on rear. Is this badge a "stick on" decal??
Any bright clues/ideas??

·
Registered
13 Posts
R33 V-Spec's have finned rear diff and a black plastic trim that wraps around the bottom of the whole front bumper. Should also have A-LSD light in the rev counter dial.

As to what difference it makes, I'm not sure. I know that my V-Spec does strange things when you dump the clutch at the lights, the torque splitter sends torque to the front before the rear wheels have lost traction. Kinda like launch control so the difference might be software that makes more use of the traction control, after all why does the diff need cooling down more than the standard R33?

More questions than answers I'm afraid.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simon..not sure that all the answers are there. Main "clue" apppears to be rear diff case.....if it has "fins" it's a v-spec.. (excuse me whilst I put anorak on)...my car has the said fins, but does not have "light" in Tacho. Anybody any idea if Nissan are able to tell "which is which" from chassis number/vin plate?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think that if there is a 'Q' in the chassis number then it is not a VSpec.

Not 100% sure though, can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
130 Posts
It could be that the diff has been replaced, there should be a LSD light within rev counter dial. The V-spec font on the boot lid is a decal.

Does it have the 'A LSD' writing within the rev counter dial? if yes then a light should come on when you first start the car and then dissappear as per the other warning lights.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definately no "writing" within the Tacho. Suppose that it's possible to have received a transfer "active" diff from a v-spec?
Thanks for the referral to "Separts"..had not seen the site before.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now sorted! Took the car to Middlehurst on Friday for a checkover.
The car is a V-Spec and a "British" car...might make a difference to the Insurance! Andy could remember the car from original supply. Still cannot explain lack of "A-lsd" light..but then who cares? Boost "turned down" now 1Bar...much more enjoyable for an old f**t like me to drive. Still cannot get over the performance.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
So what was it running then, if its now been "turned down"!!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Honda2ner,

There is no traction control on either a non vspec or a vspec skyline.

There is an active LSD on the rear of a vspec.

I think you may be thinking of the torque splitter whichh is a bit more active on the vspec but it ia essentially still a mechanical device operating using a viscous coupling.

Nedos,

Congratulations on the car. your next mods should be cheap then.. just turning it all up, nice..

/Steve

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steve,
I'll leave the "turning up the boost" to you lot. I am just summoning up the courage to dispense with my man servant walking in front with a red flag (to warn other road users of my very gentle approach)....still can't keep pace with him.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Wager

I'll bet you £50 that in one weeks time you will have the boost on full *and* you'll be looking for more power. :D :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts