GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what a crap day i have had!

Been fitting my apexi turbos today to be faced with strange fitting sizes on the turbos so my new braided hoses i paid a fortune for dont fit. So i crack on anyway.

I send the 2 poster ramp up in the air and there is a massive bang and the motor pitch changed to a high fast rate!

O shit! let go of the button and turn around to exspecting to see damage to some item near my car that i guessed had got caught or something on the way up.

O noooooo! One side of the car is about a foot higher than the other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bloody chain had snapped on the ramp. With the split second of me releasing the button the ramp had shot the one side up higher than the other with the less load.

Now what do i do? Cars hanging in the air at a mad angle. We try to lower the ramp by hand (one person on each tower) but when the chain snapped it must of got tangeled around the bottom cog. To get to this bit of the ramp you need to remove the post! How the f do i that with the car on it and in the air?

Well i sit down and for some reason just start laughing my head off. Why does this crap always happen to me?

Well i dont know how im going to get the car down. So im going to tenerife to sun myself for a week or two in my sisters garden. I cant be arsed with this crap at the moment.

Anyone know where i can get one of them trucks from that lift cars from the wheels to get my car off the ramp?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the ramp works perfect every day. Every time the skyline goes on it, it bloody breaks!

When i was doing the gearbox the motor went and the car was stuck then also.

Then i was doing other stuff and the ramp decided to just not lift the car and trip the fuse everytime i pressed the up or down button.

Now its bust the chain! I wouldn't mind if i was lifting more than the ramp can take but its a 2.5 ton ramp and lifts all other cars all day long without an issue.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Can you not get a fork lift in there, pieces of wood on the chassis rails before the fork lift goes in should stop any damage that may occur when you lift........

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you not get a fork lift in there, pieces of wood on the chassis rails before the fork lift goes in should stop any damage that may occur when you lift........
There is a fork lift next door. Im not sure how much they can lift at a height tho. It would need to lift the car about 12 feet in the air to first clear the post and then the spray booth also.

I dont think next doors would be big enough. Plus there are roof rafters above!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is not to high at the moment. Im thinking of getting some massive axle stands. Get the welder to strap some steal between them all to be safe and then stripping the ramp down around the car and fixing it.

Then rebuild around the car and send ramp back up to collect the car!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
If you want to do it that way then why not get a load of wheels stacked on top of each other and place them at the rear and the front of the car and lower the ramp, the car will then stay where it is resting on the wheels???????

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
might be a plan. If i can get them close enough to the wheels. The one side of the ramp is jammed solid.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can you not support it with builders acro props on each corner, as they hold walls up when putting in rsjs,
ye thats my idea behind the axle stands. The only thing is if the car was to try and go forward or backward i can see them tilting.

I want to purchase some nice wide base axle stands to be honest. When i had the gearbox out and was undoing some tight bolts the car was getting a right wobble on. I know the ramp is designed to do this but i dont like it. If ever you had a poorly seated leg, well i can see there being an accident.

I would like to have an axle stand that you could secure the car with to stop it rocking when undoing tight stuff. These ramps scare the shit out of me when they get a wobble on.

However it could all go very wrong it you forgot to remove the axle stand before lowering the car!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
The front will be supported by the stack of wheels under the front crossmember and the rear, stack the wheels under the rear diff, the car will then be plenty stable.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im off on my holidays so i have left it like it untill im back. I will get some pics when im back next week.

However pics are not going to be that intresting. Just a car on a ramp at an angle of about 10 degrees. Nothing major.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts