GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this true? I want to up my boost, but I am not sure how good the gas is here compared to what is in the states. Please can someone shed some light on this subject for me.

I was under the asumption that 98 octane here, would be the same as 98 octane there, but I was told it is calculated differently, hence the difference?

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
What does it matter? There are plenty of RBs running higher boost than you may be thinking of over here using our pump fuel so why worry about the comparison.... I could understand it if you were worried about upping the boost using US fuel.

Just make sure it's set up properly and you get enough fuel down it's neck!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From my understanding its not really about the boost, but the static compression and timing. I am running a higher compression than your RBs.:)

"I could understand it if you were worried about upping the boost using US fuel"

Meaning the gas here is that much better here? So, your 98ron would be like 98ron in th states, or the States 94ron would be like 102ron here.

·
Registered
404 Posts
AAFES can help

SkylineUSA,

I was given a card once from some guy at an AAFES gas station in Germany, with the fuel equivalents listed.

Basically the US Octane to European RON values are:

US Octane RON

86.8 = 91 regular
90 = 95 Super
93 = 98 Super plus

Is that a 4.6 or 5.0 you got there? where are you stationed nowadays? I'm sure someone here can help with your search for a good GTR.

Paul.

PS I'd forget any Skylines from the middle east it's well known that they are nearly all stolen ;)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Petrol

US Fuel is measured as Ron+Mon/2, whereas UK fuel is quoted as RON (which is higher then MON).

Depending on fuels it is common for Ron to be about 10 higher than MON.

A fuel that had RON of 97 and MON of 87 would be quoted in the US as 92 and in the UK as 97.

See the Octane thread for more details, but as rule it means that US 91/93 Octane is broadly similar to UK 97 Octane.

Guy

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the clarification.

I have a 5.0, 30 over. I am at a very small base called RAF Fairford.

With the pound rate the way it is, I think I am going to have to wait to buy a GTR. I will just put some more money into the Stang and see how my yank tank will do against the ultimate road car.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Mustang

If you are in the UK and love Skylines then please come along to one of the meetings, so you can see our cars and have a chat, plus there are several of us who would like to have a look at your Mustang! (Tim of SVS on this board has a lovely 60's Mustang V8 in addition to his GTR)

Guy

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guy,

I would jump at the chance to come and see everyone's cars. I have drooled over them for years.

Weka,

That site was perfect, it went into detail beyond what I expected, Thank you.

Tony

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oooh Fairford..

Within spitting distance that.

I'm in Swindon, but have no GTR, and.. well... a very, very poorly 200SX :(

·
Registered
404 Posts
Fairford

Tony,

I don’t remember it but I know my dad was based at RAF Fairford in the early 1960’s before he moved to RAF Brize Norton but we lived in a village called Wotton Basit (I think that how it’s spelt) I do remember that we lived opposite a pub called the Red Lion

If you have a chance to go the10 of the best near York you should and introduce yourself to the Skyline lads there I’m sure one of them will offer a ride in a Skyline if they know who your are.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wootton Bassett,

Actually some of the guys I work with live very near there.

The 10 Best, I talked to the wife and she gave me the thumbs up. So, we are going to make the trek Sunday morning. I will drive the Stang out there, it should be a hoot.

Paul,

Your in Germany, right? Do you ever make it over here?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Swindon

I work in Swindon, (live in Bristol mostly), let me know if you want a blast in GTR sometime, and you'll have to show me the mustang :)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
polarbearit,

You got it.

I would love to trade white knuckle rides. I am getting ready to do some major mods, so you can feel the before and after.

Tony

1 - 15 of 15 Posts