GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm currently running 485 bhp on my R-32, The seals and possibly bearings have gone on my turbos, so i need to rebuild them,
1, Cheapest option and keeps to same power and characteristics i'm used to.
2, Upgrade to 2860-7 believe to be 520 bhp, small increase in power.
3, Upgrade to 2860-5 believe to be 640 bhp, Nice.
Now the reason for my question is, i've read and been told 480 bhp..ish is ideal for road use (which is what i use it for) but i feel i want more, can handle more, and car is capable of handling more,ie; steel rods,forged pistons,headwork,cams,injectors,ati damper,fuel rail,twin plate clutch,close ratio box,tein adj dampers,tie bars,several strengthening bars.
Ive also read to go with the smallest turbos you require that make the power you want,
So what do you think is ideal for the road?
Would 520bhp be enough.
would you run 2860-5 on low boost to make, I don't know say about 550-560 bhp?
Your comments will be appreciated.

Cheers PJ

oops sorry
double post

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are your figures for fly or ATW?

I run 650+ ATW in road spec which comes in with a whoosh. The consequence is you become very sensitive to the cross over point at which all those horses come charging in. The grin factor is immense, however a 500metre gap on the road becomes nothing in very short time so in some respects it makes the car less road friendly.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Pimpernel,
Your obviously running 720/740 ATW are you running this mainly on the road or did you build this for the track and thats mainly what you do?

PJ

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I think 450bhp to 500bhp fly has been bounced around a lot as ideal as unless you live in the Aus outback or clear Japanese roads you never really get a good chance to use it in the UK and using more than 500bhp without enough road is asking for trouble on public highways.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The most flexible 550 hp set up for uk roads is HKS GT-SS's set up well your car will pull like a big V8 with no lag, now that a surprises to a few people. You can use the whole dam lot because the torque has maxed out at 5500 rpm and the hp has done the same at 6700 rpm at 1.3 bar peaking at 1.4 bar, so the life on your engine is greater because you dont have to rev the nuts off it to get the best out of it if you change gear based on your dyno read out!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I am running GTSS's at 1.25bar and make 459bhp @ the hubs @ 6500rpm, torque is 400lb/ft @ 5200rpm:smokin: Seems to be fine on the road:D

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Depends on how often you drive the car ,if it's just on the odd occasion and you have a daily drive shed to go round in, go for what you like if youre not clocking up loads of miles .There's some well set up powerfull Skylines about that run fine on more than that .

·
R35 Section manager
11,165 Posts
I am running GTSS's at 1.25bar and make 459bhp @ the hubs @ 6500rpm, torque is 400lb/ft @ 5200rpm:smokin: Seems to be fine on the road:D

Mine to, at 460 bhp, but I thought the figure was at the fly??

·
Registered
552 Posts
If it was done by Abbey all their figures are taken at the hub. so Steve your car is over 540 hp! Now that put a smile on your face:clap: :clap:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your replys,

I'm just concerned that the Garrett GT 2680R-7s (equivalent to HKS GTSS) are only a small increase in power, and that the Garrett GT 2860R-5s (equivalent to HKS GT 2530s) may have been overkill for road use only,i have a runaround that i use for daily driving, as it was becoming to expensive using every day, I see from your replys that some think that 550 bhp @ the flywheel is enough for the roads, how many of you running over this sort of power disagree?

PJ

·
R35 Section manager
11,165 Posts
If it was done by Abbey all their figures are taken at the hub. so Steve your car is over 540 hp! Now that put a smile on your face:clap: :clap:

Holy sh$t really? I knew the thing flew! Mines the same engine spec as yours John I think? 1.2 bar, Gtss turbos, injectors, fuel pump, cams, erm what else??

3,666 Posts
right lets clear this all up;

John your wrong......TREG car had 390 hub BHP these equates to around 450 flywheel bhp.

Geddy Boys car has had a motor rebuild running F-con Pro and a larger intercooler over Treg motor runs 459 Axle BHP which is a very very good output.

And your car johnny runs 434 axle Bhp runs the same spec as Geddy,s boy except running HKS cams instead of the Tomei cams.

Treg , Your car has still got F-con Sz and a std intercooler and hard pipe kit , we have sent you a quote on the upgrades.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
running the smallest turbo for your power target gets you the least lag, but isn't one benefit of running larger turbos is that they run cooler at a similar boost level compared with smaller turbos?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Hi Pimpernel,
Your obviously running 720/740 ATW are you running this mainly on the road or did you build this for the track and thats mainly what you do?

PJ
PJ, the car has V-PRO mapped to accomodate two set-ups, road trim and race spec.

In road trim on pump (super unleaded) fuel and 1.6Bar the dyno reads about 650ATW at 8250RPM if memory serves correct. The engine actually revs happily out to 10,000, although I'm not supposed to go over 9/9.5 but WTF! We don't rev to 10 on the dyno as it's seriously unkind to the engine plus what does it prove - we already know the torque hasn't dropped off, even at 10. The only reason would be to take a bhp/torque reading at high revs, which has no real benefit, it is what it is and likely a lot more the 650. On my last overseas trip coming up from Paris I was sat at about 100 when all three lanes cleared in front of me for at least a mile, so I floored it in top. Within half a mile the speedo was already past 180 and the car was still accelerating hard. In the time it takes you to think "fcuking hell" you've actually caught up the traffic you could previously barely see and self preservation takes over!

In race trim, race fuel and 1.9Bar, with more aggressive ignition and AFR the dyno reads just short of 850ATW at 8250RPM in 4WD (it spins up on the rollers if you allow it to switch to just RWD). It still revs out to 10k and the torque holds up. Peak BHP? Probably more than 1000, but it is whatever it is.
I tried it ONCE in this set up on the road, with road tyres. When it came on boost in 2nd the backend stepped out about 30degrees and nearly launched me into the steel barrier on the central reservation. I damn near [email protected] myself. So the only time I do that now is to burn off the fuel when returning from an event, and with extreme caution.

In summary, the 650 road trim with care is regular road useable if you didn't mind the fuel burn and applied caution to running up on boost in traffic. It certainly would be OK for track day but isn't enough for serious drag use. The race trim generally is pointless on the road, it may be manageable on Track, it definitely fits strip use!

Maybe I should write an article for Sky Lines, comparing my Stage 1 R32 with the R33. They drive like two completely different cars.

·
R35 Section manager
11,165 Posts
right lets clear this all up;

John your wrong......TREG car had 390 hub BHP these equates to around 450 flywheel bhp.

Geddy Boys car has had a motor rebuild running F-con Pro and a larger intercooler over Treg motor runs 459 Axle BHP which is a very very good output.

And your car johnny runs 434 axle Bhp runs the same spec as Geddy,s boy except running HKS cams instead of the Tomei cams.

Treg , Your car has still got F-con Sz and a std intercooler and hard pipe kit , we have sent you a quote on the upgrades.

Heres looking at you kid:bowdown1:

Thanks Marky boy.

Steve

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok Thanks for your comments (hard to compare when people are running different power to what they thought they were running and when people compare text book with reality and i don't think public roads are really the place.... do you) I have decided to go for garrett GT2860R-7s these will be fitted and up and going early next week,I will post my opinions then and whether i think this is to much power for the roads, (If any body is interested), which was my original question.

PJ

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
That would be an interesting write up. Let us know how you get on and impressions.
DaveG

·
R35 Section manager
11,165 Posts
Ok Thanks for your comments (hard to compare when people are running different power to what they thought they were running and when people compare text book with reality and i don't think public roads are really the place.... do you) I have decided to go for garrett GT2860R-7s these will be fitted and up and going early next week,I will post my opinions then and whether i think this is to much power for the roads, (If any body is interested), which was my original question.

PJ

Will also be interested, dont think your going to get the spool up required for fast B road use.;)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I think 450bhp to 500bhp fly has been bounced around a lot as ideal as unless you live in the Aus outback or clear Japanese roads you never really get a good chance to use it in the UK and using more than 500bhp without enough road is asking for trouble on public highways.
I wish it was always clear. Only on the Wangan late at night or super early
in the a.m. The Tomei expwy is my favorite, Ken-o and Kanetsu are my 2nd
favorites for full throttle - ssshhhh.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts