GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided I would like to replace my timing belt and tensioners since my current Nismo one was installed in 2007. I feel its probably about time I change it....the car hasn't covered many miles since that time though.

Anyway, I came across these two timing belt kits...would any of you recommend either one? The Nismo seems cheaper than what I expected it to be:

DAYCO (I read somewhere that Dayco are pretty good and are OEM suppliers for perfomance cars??):

Nissan Skyline R33 GTR RB26DETT Timing Belt Kit With Uprated Dayco TEFLON Belt | eBay

NISMO:

NISMO TIMING BELT KIT SKYLINE GTR STAGEA RB20 RB25 RB26 | eBay

thanks everyone :wavey:

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Buy the Nismo kit from JDMPlanet, also their idlers and tensioners are the same as you would get from Nissan. NTN is an OE supplier.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
just to add there really is nothing wrong with them - i've ran a couple in the past without issue but i'd rather go with a tomei/hks/greddy trusted brand if its only gonna be a little more - i got a HKS kevlar one for my 32gtr build because it was literally about 40quid more and i'm this much into the money on the engine build so why not...

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I will use the dayco every time. There is no way these other belts can justify the outrageous price except for the brand. You will not go wrong with dayco.

However, feel free to get bummed for a 'insert crap advert here' branded dayco belt. Lol

·
Registered
509 Posts
All the timing belts I have fitted to skylines right up to 600bhp ones were blueprint 30 quid ones and never had problems.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
I will use the dayco every time. There is no way these other belts can justify the outrageous price except for the brand. You will not go wrong with dayco.

However, feel free to get bummed for a 'insert crap advert here' branded dayco belt. Lol
+1. Use Dayco belt on my GTR and just put one on my 306 Rallye. Dayco are a good brand so don't be put off.

A Nismo/HKS/Greddy belt is NOT worth the money they charge. ANY belt which meets or exceeds OEM spec is suitable whether it costs £20 or £200!!!

TT

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks. I might just save the extra 50 quid and stick with the dayco then. it's very helpful to see all the opinions here. I assume the tensioner and idler that comes with the dayco kit is perfectly fine too...?

my plans for the car are to do a precision 6266 install later this year and I want to get quality reliable parts to handle 700bhp+ rather than change again later (e.g. belts, pulleys etc)

thanks all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Those hks belts make a noise when hot (sounds like a bearing getting tired !), not ideal when u just spent thousands on your engine! I put the adl blue print on no noise..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dont tell me that ive just bought a genuine nissan timing belt kit and an hks belt! Your saying they make a whining noise!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Those hks belts make a noise when hot (sounds like a bearing getting tired !), not ideal when u just spent thousands on your engine! I put the adl blue print on no noise..
They won't make a noise if set up with the correct tension and that takes a lot of experience. You must set them looser than factory when cold so they're at correct tension once the engine's hot.
OR
Do the smart thing, buy a Nissan belt and you'll be sweet.
A no brainer for me.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmmmmm..does this mean the stock nissan belts are good for 600+ bhp applications? Not a track car, road use only

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow ok. I was under the impression for high horsepower needs, the stock belts were a no-go and that's where the strengthened aftermarket belts came into use.

I learn something new every day. :)

thanks

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
wow ok. I was under the impression for high horsepower needs, the stock belts were a no-go and that's where the strengthened aftermarket belts came into use.

thanks
A cam belt turns the cam shaft. There is no real correlation between hp and belt strength. Some say that a higher lift cam required more torque to rotate, as a stronger spring requires more energy to compress. But the spring helps rotate the cam when the valve closes so there is no real argument there.

With ref to 'HKS' cam belt needing to be looser to accommodate the expansion with a hot engine. The circumference of the belt back grows by less than 0.25mm from 20deg C to 80deg C. So if a HKS belt makes more noise, its because it***8217;s less efficient costing energy.

Don***8217;t believe the hype.:confused:

I used a Dayco Mazda 323 Diesel cam belt on the RB30 with 600hp and high lift cams.

·
Registered
509 Posts

thanks
A lot of peaple are under the illusion that the more power your run then you need an hks belt or similar when it's complete bollocks,but it seems to be that the tuner building the engine is the one scaremongering the owners into fitting the overpriced useless belts.as I have said I have fitted 30 quid blueprint belts to high power gtrs and one was over 650 bhp.
I have even seen the massive damage done when an overly expensive hks belt chewed through adjustable alloy cam gears on a 800bhp supra.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
I got quotes on a ADL Blueprint belt and pulley kit, came to around £110 plus vat, in the end it was a no brainer I paid £90 odd for a Nismo belt from RK and £50 for the NTN pulley kit from JDMPlanet.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts