GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, done a few searches but thought I would ask, may help out other newbies too.

Assuming we are talking about a 32 with rebuilt steel internal stock turbos, Power FC, stock injectors, 1.2mm gasket, stock cams, running say 1.1 bar 400 at flywheel approx...

Would the AFMs even be on the agenda? Questions follow..... :)

1. At what stage of tuning (R32 in this case) will Z32 AFM's be of any use?

2. What years / part numbers are the AFM's / what models have them?

3. Are they a direct swap for the stock AFM's? ie exact *mods* required ?

4. What ECU changes will be required if any once fitted?

5. What are the benefits?

6. How do you know if they are faulty?

7. What is the going rate for them?

8. At what point in tuning will they *really* need to be considered?

Thanks guys I know this has probably been done to death before... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
All my opinion.

1. If your plans are any higher then 400whp
2. Any TT Z32 from 90-96(info from US cars)
3. Harness and larger hose are needed. APEXi Super Suction includes everything.
4. Power FC or retuned ecu
5. More flow and higher reading potential
6. Test them before install with Volt/ohm meter or check readout of PFC
7. US, they sell for 50each used or 250 each rebuilt
8. IMO, anything over 400rwhp

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, a few more questions..I appreciate others may have differeing views but very informative all the same. :)

1. If your plans are any higher then 400whp
Probably a good option for anyone moving on from stage one then really?
2. Any TT Z32 from 90-96(info from US cars)
Thanks, wonder if that also relates to the JAP & UK cars?
3. Harness and larger hose are needed. APEXi Super Suction includes everything.
The 'harness' I assume can be obtained from the original AFM? How much is required to splice into the exisiting loom? Are we talking about a couple of plug connectors or more? The APEXi, *everything* the larger hose? What parts?
4. Power FC or retuned ecu
I see so it will require mapping also.
5. More flow and higher reading potential
What WHP can be obtained or metered for now as opposed to moving to non AFM based systems? Where is the cut off point if any?
6. Test them before install with Volt/ohm meter or check readout of PFC
Makes sense :D
7. US, they sell for 50each used or 250 each rebuilt
Is that is USD? What can go *wronge* with them and is it obvious from looking? Do they have a life expectancy? Could it kill an engine if they are faulty?! Ebay to purchase in US or have you any links? PM me if you preffer!
8. IMO, anything over 400rwhp
Fair enough, thanks for your input,

·
Registered
55 Posts
2. All twinturbo AFM's are the same, uk,us or jap, like he said late 89 upwards.
7.I've never seen em sell as low for $50, but you never know ;) average UK price second hand is around 100 quid. If it's faulty, just like any other AFM the car will run like a bag of shite and not rev properly over 2000 revs, no obvious things to look out for and they last as long as any other AFM, 1 minor point, sometimes you see them with the wire mesh missing, if it's the back wire mesh it's okay, if it's the front BEFORE the hotwire, it's not advisable.
BTW early scoobies used the excat same AFM's
cheers
smithy

·
Registered
193 Posts
RB_26 said:
3. Are they a direct swap for the stock AFM's? ie exact *mods* required ?

4. What ECU changes will be required if any once fitted?
:
3: You can "recycle" the AFM-connectors from the R32-units, Just desolder the connector pins inside the housings of respecive units and swap, as they are "identical" internal connections. (Number of pins differ in connectors sockets, but the extra pin in Z32:s is not electrically connected and thus not used). Take care when carefully "opening" (using sharp knife) the AFM:s sealed/glued square top covers so nothing brakes.

Apexi Super Suction: http://www.nengun.com/image/catalogue/primary/nengun-product-99.jpg

4: If using PFC you basicly select the VG30 AFM in the apprpriate menu, and proceed with mapping in normal way.

// Lars

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
That pic might not actually be the right one. I think that's the D-Jetro kit (no AFMs)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2. All twinturbo AFM's are the same, uk,us or jap, like he said late 89 upwards.

Ta.

7.I've never seen em sell as low for $50, but you never know ;) average UK price second hand is around 100 quid.

So a pair for around the £200 mark then.

If it's faulty, just like any other AFM the car will run like a bag of shite and not rev properly over 2000 revs, no obvious things to look out for and they last as long as any other AFM, 1 minor point, sometimes you see them with the wire mesh missing, if it's the back wire mesh it's okay, if it's the front BEFORE the hotwire, it's not advisable.
Nic, good point

BTW early scoobies used the excat same AFM's

Nice, I would assume they would be easy to get a hold off in that case... do you know the part number or what model of scooby?

:) Thanks

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3: You can "recycle" the AFM-connectors from the R32-units, Just desolder the connector pins inside the housings of respecive units and swap, as they are "identical" internal connections. (Number of pins differ in connectors sockets, but the extra pin in Z32:s is not electrically connected and thus not used). Take care when carefully "opening" (using sharp knife) the AFM:s sealed/glued square top covers so nothing brakes.

Great, I see they are actually the same part it's just the outer plastic *tube* that is required.. must be able to fabricate these.... in addition do you use your exisiting loom & connnectors? If you use the Z32 do I simply splice in the block connectors?

Apexi Super Suction: http://www.nengun.com/image/catalogue/primary/nengun-product-99.jpg

So this is simply an induction kit for either AFMs or this is custom sized for use with the larger AFMs sorry I don't understand why this is now needed

4: If using PFC you basicly select the VG30 AFM in the apprpriate menu, and proceed with mapping in normal way.

Straight forward enough then.

// Lars[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Z32 AFMs are physically larger in diameter than standard ones, so a normal induction kit wont fit!

I still cant see how the super suction kit should be £400 though, compared with £200 for the normal one! :eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pikey said:
That pic might not actually be the right one. I think that's the D-Jetro kit (no AFMs)

No, thats the correct pic. The Z32 meters mount between the pollished piping and the air filters. They actually maxed out my stock injectors after I installed them :eek:
I had the Super Suction kit at one time on my R32 before the big twin install.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have seen somwhere on this forum that a rb25maf is easier to use and a lot cheaper.
does anyone know how mutch air two rb25 mafs will flow on a rb26dett?

·
Registered
193 Posts
RB_26 said:
Great, I see they are actually the same part it's just the outer plastic *tube* that is required.. must be able to fabricate these.... in addition do you use your exisiting loom & connnectors? If you use the Z32 do I simply splice in the block connectors?
I do not use Z32-utits at the moment, but by "recycling" the R32/33-connectors from std-AFM:s you do not require any loom-modificatins whatsoever.. should be applicable för R34:s also I believe.

(Mod-tips originally from a GTR-forum user who actually did fit Z32:s on his R33, so AFM:s are internally interchangable with the different connector designs)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Surely it's harder to make that modification to the inner workings of the AFM than it is to alter the wiring, lol?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Perhaps I´m very skilled then ;)
I swapped R33/R32 AFM-connectors by opening my malfunctioning R32:s and "new" R33:s and de-/resoldered connectors in 30 minutes (including gluing the caps back).
As I didn´t have any R33-connectors to use, I had to use the ones already available in the R32-loom. No splicing of cables made a "neater" appearance I think.. with less risk of having poor cabling open to the harsh environment under the bonnet.
:smokin:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fair enough then :smokin: Sell me yours already done.. lol

As was mentioned stock injectors would need replaced too perhaps...

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I also think that if you're simply upgrading, rather than replacing faulty units, quite a lot of people would value the £150 available from selling their old AFMs rather than butchering them - I certainly did ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts