GTR Forum banner

R33 GTR upgrade

26K views 160 replies 17 participants last post by  Jimbostir 
#1 · (Edited)
A few of you may know me or my R33. It's been running just under 560hp completely stock engine with apexi turbos for a few years.
Being mapped back in 2011 I think ,link: https://vimeo.com/19834141
I had it rolling roaded this summer to check fuelling etc and it was making 503 bhp at 1.4bar. It was mapped at 1.5 bar in a lot cooler conditions hence the power loss.
As it wasn't what I was expecting completely I've decided to collect a few bits and get my 60 bhp back!
Machine Payphone Shelf

What I'm thinking is I don't want to go mental hp but I want reliable, cheap ( ish), quick spool and keep air con etc, after all it is a road car. So I've gone for tomei poncam type b, HKS Verviers, so I can play with the cam timing and some hpi turbo outlet pipes to help with spool up. The head will come off and I will do a little grinding of the ports but not go too mad. ARP head studs I think are worth doing. Bottom end is stock completely so 1.4 bar is my limit on boost. To be continued.........

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice kit of parts to work through.
Before pulling it all apart - have you done a compression test?

Haven’t seen your car since the old Hampshire Jap Cars meets. Glad to hear you’re still in love with it.
I’m pulling mine of of storage next year so I hope to be back with a throbbing RB26DETT. I’ve been suffering driving my stageas for the last few years though - so done feel sad ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
What made you go for the Type B's may I ask? I've got similar parts to you in my collection, Tomei adjustable pulleys though, HPI turbo elbows came a month or so ago after a long wait!

I was originally looking at Type A poncams, I'd like to run Nismo R1 turbos which I believe are good for 1.3 bar? So probably similar-ish power to you eventually @ ~500. I've already got Nismo 600cc injectors to go on as well as R35 GTR MAF's and HPI adaptors, Nismo hardpipes for intake and intercooler, etc. Would the Type B's be better? I'm mostly looking for good response rather than top end for drag!

Garage should be started next week, so I might actually get a few parts on finally in 2019! :chuckle:

#5 ·
Type b Poncams because they're pretty much the biggest you can go without changing springs etc. The thing is if you go with type A and fall short of what you want to get slightly then it'll be in your head that type B would have been better. My Hpi turbo outs I waited for 2 days for as I ordered them from fuel performance parts as I did with the cams. You should get good response with those bits. I've gone for nismo mafs so hopefully il get similar results as you. results

#9 ·
Brilliant, thanks for that :) I've read a few posts about A or B (or even type R!) today but some are 10+ years old now! I knew the elbows were on back order when I bought mine, but there was then a delay in manufacturing which meant another few weeks. My Top Secret bonnet struts were supposed to have been the long wait item, which actually arrived very quickly! All here now though, along with the 2018 Nismo oil cooler :D

Looks like you've been busy already! :bowdown1:

#11 ·
I managed to slope off to the garage for an hour this afternoon....
Auto part Engine Machine Vehicle Automotive engine part

Valves out. Tip alert... Put the valve collets in a jar or metal tin. That way you can hear when each one goes in. Little buggers are easy to loose! And push the valves into a piece of cardboard. That way you cannot mix them up in the wrong order.

#12 ·
I'll try and get some tomorrow for you! I put everything I've had recently into storage. I was lucky with it really, I saw Greenline Motorsport had one left in stock of the old style cooler. I bit the bullet, bought it, only to be told it had been sold a couple of days earlier and the website not updated! A couple of weeks later, the new one releases and the rest is history. :thumbsup:

Catalogue pic:

#15 ·
Here you go Jimbo, I've not taken everything from the oil cooler out of the wrapping yet to keep it all from getting damaged or bits lost. The oil cooler looks a bit grubby but that is just the cardboard dust and bits of that foam wrap stuff. :)

Can't wait to get started on this lot! (…and everything else I've bought! :eek: ) :D

Anyway, I don't mean / want to hijack your thread, so I'll add these to my build progress later too. :)

#16 ·
The oil cooler itself look rather like a mocal Chinese made cooler than Setrab which many speculated it was made by. Disappointing if that is the case. Google pictures of Mocal and generic coolers made in China and look at the details and compare to the Nismo.

#17 ·
Pass, it feels lovely and robust to touch and look at, I'll be replacing an old mocal cooler which has been on the car for a long, long time. Nothing wrong with that one, just because Nismo! :chuckle: The hoses, brackets and shroud feel well made too. I'll put it all together once the garage is built, but I'm considering keeping it off the car until I get the Nismo front bumper and fit it all at once. I want to do a few other bits before I invest in that though.

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks Alex, how are you mate? I***8217;m going to try and make an effort to take pictures and post em up so watch this space...
Mart! Thanks mate. It will be awesome if I can achieve what I***8217;m after which is the perfect blend of modified and original parts. If it***8217;s put together right and set up well the whole thing will come together as the perfect Nissan Skyline GTR

#28 · (Edited)
The edges are factory chamfered so won***8217;t be a flush fit if you know what I mean. I got the guy doing the porting to do it back in 2014. I opened it up last summer to fit my Nismo plenum. There was a fair bit of material removed along with the porting there is a good level of off boost torque at low end but also having type a cams somewhat helps.

Btw you will need to fit the gasket - steel one and cut that too while matching the ports as that will be your restriction otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.